View Single Post
Old 16 May 2003, 21:50 (Ref:601416)   #1
gadgit
Racer

gadgit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
buying a single seater?

I think I have the bug for a single seater race car for track days. I have considered this option due to the fact that I do not have a race licence and would need to gain some knowledge for a year or so before moving in any direction. Having looked through fast car and road race, there is a formula renault on there for £3850 with a trailer which would appear to me as a novice to be a bargain, as a new Go Kart(125) is £3000. My problem is I have no idea of costs just to keep one of these things running. I am experienced machanic and have just rebulit a TVR S2 and am happy to tackle jobs as they come along.
I am in my late forties and have no illusions as to my ability and just want to be able to be involved and keep the thing in my garage. I really feel it would be a privilege to own one and look after it. Please don't take the micky, is ther anyone out there that does this sort of thing that can advise me on what I could do to get started, and the costs involved for a first year of track day running, with care!

I've read with interest that F/Ford 1600 is on the wain, and feel that formula renualt is a proper looking race car ( attempting not to be rude to FF) and attended the last FR meeting at brands hatch.

I would appreciate any advice from all, and some ideas that would help me along the way.

with thanks to all.

gadgit.