View Single Post
Old 12 Jun 2017, 17:52 (Ref:3740615)   #57
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Not trying to be a dick here, but I don't think you understand the definition of a world championship by the FIA, and I don't think you understand what continent the middle east is part of. Since Kuwait (and Bahrain) are part of the continent of Asia, and the WEC already has 2 other races there, they are already represented. Trying to get a race in the middle east, and saying "but it's a WORLD championship" are two completely different things. Unless you're counting the middle east as its own continent (which would mean a new continent model), or changing the definition of an FIA World Championship, then it isn't required for a world championship at all.
I don't think you're a 'dick' but what your saying to me is like someone else saying North America is represented, so they don't need or shouldn't have a race in the U.S and Mexico. Or Asia is represented so they don't need Japan and China, or the Mid-east because that continent is taken care of. Semantics. But wait, Europe is the exception? They can have 4 or 5 races because... that's where the majority of the teams are located? Yes, that's how I take it. The Middle East is Asia, but a distinct region. Just like the U.S. and Mexico are two distinct regions, the latter being Latin America. And India is part of Asia, but a billion people live there with who knows how many motorsport fans. It's another distinct and important region. The Mid-east is home to a large percentage of the sponsors, owners/investors of businesses, teams, manufacturers (McLaren, Aston Martin etc.)

Quote:
You make a fair point about travel requires though of course. If you like the circuit, that's just fine, but don't come in and try and tell me a Tilke track is just what we need, and how it's a world championship and should be represented. That's just silly.
I never said they need a Tilke track. I said that's all you're going to get because there isn't any new 'classic' layouts being made if you want to host world championships with FIA status.

Quote:
However I'm yet to actually see an argument for going there. I don't see what this event would bring to the series that's a positive. Isn't that what the WEC (and any series) be doing? Looking for positive new things? I don't see a vanity project in an unstable region on another cookie cutter stamped out car park as a positive for the series at all. I'm sure it'll get a confirmed 55,000 fans though! I'd rather us going to tracks that people actually enjoy. Next up, someone will tell me Paul Ricard is amazing and the south of France is required for a world championship!
That's an erroneous statement. Everyone knows the troubles the mid-east faces, but Bahrain or Kuwait is not Iraq and Syria. I don't see your issue with it. There doesn't need to be a 'for' argument or an 'against' one. It doesn't matter if 5 or 50,000 people show up for the race. It's a region important enough to the FIA, WEC, whoever to warrant a race there.