View Single Post
Old 9 Nov 2019, 15:00 (Ref:3939447)   #194
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
I have always wanted to know why Bira's cars always had Siam on them, The 1st ERA was built 2 years after Siam changed it's name to Thailand. Was Bira just a "tradionalist" and did not like the new name. Can you remember Baub?
Bira was royalty, and probably a traditionalist, he was always know as Prince Bira a shortened version of Birabongse or some such spelling, easily found on the internet no doubt.
Whether he was unwelcome in 'Siam' or just preferred a European life style I don't know. He was always accompanied by his cousin Charkabongse, who manged his racing life.

I read all the books on him 60 odd years and have forgotten most of what I read. I think one was called Blue and Yellow. His ERA's were named after Roman mythology. Romulus, Remus, and Hanuman.

I really thought that you would spot the colour combination right away, hence chucking in the ERA.