Thread: IMSA DPi Discussion
View Single Post
Old 10 Aug 2016, 02:29 (Ref:3664797)   #941
BrentJackson
Racer

Canada
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
BrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
1. Allow LMP1 in the NAEC races. Who knows, maybe teams will show up.
This will result in an immediate exodus out of the prototype class right here. Make the guys who run the whole series absolute also-rans in the four biggest races on the schedule? You're willing to royally screw up the exposure for your series in the HOPE of getting factory entrants back for at most four races?

I wish people would think about this stuff from the perspective of the teams running full seasons. You go out and buy the cars for it, assemble the team and raise the budget for it, only to be told that at the four biggest events in a ten to twelve round series that you have absolutely no change at winning. What would you think? You really think John Pew funds the Shank team dreaming of winning at Detroit?

Quote:
2. Allow any brand of tire in any class.
Well, I guess you don't care about Continental's sponsorship and promotion money then. (And this as people here constantly howl about spending more money on TV coverage and tossing the pay-to-play rules. Really guys, how do you expect IMSA to have the funds to operate the series, much less promote it?)

Besides that, what series hasn't got spec tires? Formula One? Spec Pirellis. Indycar? Spec Firestones. All GT3 series? All of them are spec tires, most of the time Pirelli. NASCAR? Spec Goodyears. Almost every touring car series is spec tires, and the WEC is overwhelmingly dominated by Michelin. So the demand for spec tires runs against the desires of modern tire makers.

Quote:
3. ACO pit rules.
Which are arbitrary and foolish, and the task of starting the car tends to cause more fires than keeping the cars running, and keeping racing engines able to start causes more problems. I say keep it as it is.

Quote:
4. I for one would be willing to pay a subscription (as I do for the WEC app) to watch the races with no commercial interruptions. So please give us that option.
I agree wholeheartedly on this one, but I suspect that Fox Sports wouldn't like that idea.

Quote:
5. I wish there was a solution to the manufacturer fee so that we could see more variety in GTD. I want to see McLarens and Mercedes and Nissans and the like.
Figure out how you can get IMSA the money to finance and promote itself and we can toss this.