View Single Post
Old 18 Jun 2010, 19:18 (Ref:2714452)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Firstly, I think GP2 is a fantastic product. The quality of racing is immense, helped by the reverse-grid system ensuring that you have to be able to overtake to win it. Aside from the Red Bull guys, virtually every F1 graduate since 2006 has come from it.

I think one-make junior championships make more sense for drivers. Racing against different machinery is a non-issue to me - there have been plenty of cases in GP2 of a driver having to manage a damaged car or faded tyres, and of racing against guys who are much faster or slower than him. I agree that there are too many identikit one-make championships, why World Series by Renault continues when GP2 is Renault-managed itself, and why GP3 was needed, I have no idea.

I really don't see it as a problem to have backmarker teams running well off the pace. Would the last few seasons have really been devalued by having 6 teams a couple of seconds a lap further back? Were Super Aguri a bad thing? Manufacturing companies such as Panoz and Swift should be encouraged to enter F1 by partnering with successful GP2 teams, possibly with financial incentives.