View Single Post
Old 5 Jul 2018, 23:58 (Ref:3834906)   #37
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Getting way off the topic but I was employed in the industry so let me give you my ideal scenario. If I was the prime minister I would build a very high speed roll on roll off freight train network down the east coast, trucks would drive on and the train would leave when loaded, Syd to Mel in under 5 hours. We lose a truck a night on the Hume but no one ever hears about it except the driver's relos when he does not come home on time. I have had to prevent drivers leaving the depot because they were fatigued even when their log books said otherwise. it should be illegal for any truck driver to operate after midnight.
There is technology to help drivers when their attention is dropping off, day or night, with movements in head position and eyeline (such as to look down at a ringing phone or similar..) and alarms (noise and vibration) in both the cabin and the fleet management group. Theory is the driver ‘re-awakens’ and can assess the need for a stop, or to continue. Either way, the event can show up as a coaching-required incident for later review/discussion

I know drivers who have operated at night for many years. They believed their bodies and physical selves had accustomed themselves to the inversion of day to night, yet the very same blokes (and a blokette) failed the technology above.

The human body cannot generally operate at night every day forever...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods