Thread: BTCC Rd 16,17,18 Snetterton
View Single Post
Old 2 Aug 2016, 16:04 (Ref:3663069)   #127
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Loved JC's one word reaction to that tweet, maybe he should be on the stewarding panel! Although is Jeff Allam still part of the driving standards advisory team?

That said it's refreshing to see young drivers like Cook and Sutton realise there's a limit to the contact in tin tops and aren't following bad examples of yesteryear. But this is perhaps the first time in the last couple of seasons we have had a debate on driving standards, so it shows the series has improved

But enough of that, how gutting was it for Tordoff, hard to believe he still only has one win this year. That failure could cost him the title. As for WSR that's two meetings in a row they've lost race 3 in the closing stages. But Collard, despite being a hard racer I never thought I'd see him in the title hunt, but he's certainly improving as a driver year on year
I do think that the driving standards were abysmal on Sunday, and a few more penalties would have been quite justified. Motor racing on a circuit is defined in the rule books as a no contact sport. Yet, because most of the TOCA package are closed wheel cars, it seems that "rubbing" is permitted as it adds spice to the entertainment. IMHO it needs to be stamped out completely, because, as Sunday clearly demonstrated, there is a strong possibility that someone, possibly not one of the drivers, will be seriously hurt.

TOCA escaped lightly on the weekend. There were at least two incidents that should have provided a wake up call to Mr Gow; the coming together in the Porsche race that saw Jellies' car hit the marshals' post by the pit-entry, and the Abbott contact with the TV camera position. I sincerely hope that it will not take a more serious incident to improve driving standards.

And, again in my opinion, it doesn't help when Tim Harvey and Paul O'Neil seem to delight in the "rubbing" and the "tapping" on the rear quarters, saying that that is what Touring Car racing is all about. No it isn't'; it's no contact.

As for Collard, he is a pretty good racer. But, unfortunately, he is like a number of other good racers, they never seem to be able to qualify really well. Here I count myself in this group; we never seemed to appreciate just how quickly we (and the cars) could go when we weren't racing. However, as soon as the flag dropped, we realised that there was more speed available, and we put it to good use.