Thread: Rules Future Rule Changes
View Single Post
Old 11 Apr 2020, 20:47 (Ref:3970152)   #3813
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
The last thing we need is a return to refuelling. Just looking back at the days we did have it, it dictated the race too much. I don't think fuel flow rate restrictions would work either. Handicapping is just not F1
I agree with you the handicap should not be in Formula 1, but Is there really equality when one team can spend 500 million and another 100 or 150?
This is not equality.
A simple question, how are they going to control that nobody goes over the budget limit? How can you know if a powerful team hides development costs within the factory developments for their street cars?
Also what happens if a powerful team turns the wrong way and their car is rubbish as it happened in the first months of the Ferrari 2019, They had the approval of an extraordinary budget to solve that. This would be impossible with the budget limit and that car would be a disaster all the year.
Also in the resurrection of Ferrari the power of the engine had a great influence that we still did not know if it was legal, which in some ways is quite similar to what I'm asking with the extra fuel.
And thank God that Ferrari resuscitated and gave us those wonderful final races otherwise we would have had more horrible races like France.

Of course if you use your imagination there are lots of better methods to use before the budget limit. For example, something already proven with great success in the 2007 and 2008 ALMS, which must be one of the most exciting races I have ever seen. LMP1 Vs LMP2, Audi R10 TDI, (925 Kg, 700/730 HP) Porsche RS Spyder and Acura ARX01A/B (775/800 KG, 525/550 HP) All the cars had an overall win in some races and those races had some of the best battles because the LMP1 was very fast on the straights and the LMP2 was very fast on the corners. Why not 600 KG and engine without hybrid system for smaller teams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
That's just a really complicated success ballast system though isn't it? Why do that when you can just add weight to the car?
This system would have the true effect in the race and only very little effect in the qualyfing. Only the fuel rate would influence the qualyfing, but the most powerful teams have the party mode which would be very similar to now.