View Single Post
Old 3 Jan 2015, 19:03 (Ref:3489761)   #1262
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
Could the survival cell itself encase the engine ?
I would think this is how you would do it.

Most of the discussion has been that it's really a front-mid concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by templer View Post
But I also think a front engined design will be too complicated in terms of packaging and aero and I can't see how a LMP without a rear wing will produce enough downforce. Nissan will run against Porsche, Audi and Toyota and not against Rebellion or Lotus so if it is a good idea for experiments?
Innovation comes from a willingness to go down what most people think are blind alleys and pass by. Occasionally they turn out to NOT be a blind alley, and then you've gained a considerable advantage over the competition.

Given the people involved and that Nissan has been behind it from the start, I expect the initial CFD showed a major advantage to the concept, to the point they could lose some advantage as some packaging compromises occurred while doing the detailed design, and still have an advantage. Without that, they probably wouldn't have gotten the go-ahead from the Nissan Board of Directors.