View Single Post
Old 18 Dec 2019, 21:43 (Ref:3947425)   #215
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Certainly on the hillclimb scene there were a couple. Richard Jones was the first one, powered by a 2.2 litre stretched Hart engine. I think the other was shared by Jim Robinson and Charles Wardle, but im pretty sure they ran a 2.5 litre version of the Hart F2 engine in a Mk 27SG. (They had previously shared an older BDA powered Mallock.) From memory the Hart engined cars also ran Hewland gearboxes (not the transaxle type, but a Hewland box in the regular position off the back of the engine to a propshaft. I would also say I think they had interchangeable quick change ratios but that might be a figment of my imagination. Others more learned than I can comment on that.
IIRC they still ran a live rear axle although with Quaife manufactured halfshafts.

I have read of people saying the SG in Mk 27SG is for 'Special Gearbox'. It doesnt. It stands for a Mk 27 with a Short wheelbase chassis(S) and the G stands for GroundEffect.

I have found a photo of Richard Jones car after he had a frightening crash at Shelsley. The reason I show the pic is that it clearly shows the Hart motor installed.

Reference to Will Hoy racing a Mallock Mk24B in Thundersports here:
https://www.racingsportscars.com/dri...ll-Hoy-GB.html

No mention of engine, though.