Old 13 Jun 2007, 13:09 (Ref:1935919)   #58
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rear
Mackmot, do you or your Dad know where the Ironman got a couple of those cars from. The Chevron B35 he had in early 77, but not for long I think, then the 782/79B he had from mid-79 to 1981 or so. Both are a bit of a mystery to us 'tub no crunchers' !

Also did Dave Muter buy Andy's cars from him, or borrow/hire them when Andy got a newer one.

I also remember him as a tough looking chap, very short hair for the time, a bid Squaddie-like even. I was always a bit wary of approaching him, I was only 14 or so at the time! Very goood driver though as I remember, pretty much unbeatable in Croft/Ingliston Libres, unless someone like Crawford went up there, or Dickson in a bigger car. He also went very well when he ventured south to Mallory/Donington, even Silverstone occasionally.

Stories like yours re his elbow, or the Beetle driveshaft borrowing are great, just what makes 10/10ths so brilliant. Any more like that, about Andy or anyone else ???
Just rereading this thread I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Andy's seat in the Morris Minor collapsing as he braked at the end of the long straight at Rufforth. Although it was my local circuit I wasn't there on that day but I understand the car went a very long distance with Andy scrambling around on the floor!

Another time at Croft he was having the usual furious dice with Sedric bell and another car, probably Alex Clacher's Imp and coming out of the chicane there was no room for three cars wide up the pit straight and one of them, Sedric I think, had to drive straight up the pit road at unabated speed then back on to the circuit after the pits. Highly dangerous, but amusing at the time.

I think he also raced a Mini Marcos at some stage.