View Single Post
Old 23 Jul 2019, 19:34 (Ref:3919070)   #80
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm going to post something I've been thinking about for a while, but I haven't managed to work out the best way to word it. So it might come across a bit harsher than intended, rambly and a lot of nonsense (like most of my posts!). And this is purely my opinion.

Aside from the constant hate-references, the other thing that's bugging me with the coverage is we appear to have lost sight of what the purpose of journalism, media and reporting actually is. We're all motorsport fans, and the reason we watch motorsport is to enjoy the cars, the tracks, the drivers, the teams, the series, and the events. The whole purpose of motorsport journalism is to report the goings-on in the motorsport world. We cannot all be there, so we need an intermediate to go to the events and bring us the news. This may be purely my opinion, but the journalists aren't part of the show. They're the vessel to bring information about the show.

Somewhere along the line, motorsport journalism believes it has become part of the show, and half the time we're now reading and listening to the goings-on between journalists. It is talked about as if they're part of the event the same way a driver is team manager is part of the event. There is a feeling of self-importance coming through. Constant strange references about the media teams and individuals, as if I'm to follow them like I do a driver or team. Even weird inside jokes, that the teams and drivers aren't really in on because they aren't watching the races (they're busy competing in it), which leads to awkward interviews - Ford drivers and pink fluffy slippers and the constant confusion from the person being interviewed is an example of it.

There are some obvious exceptions to this - JH being the "voice" of Le Mans due to the continued service of RLM during the big event. Also, Nick Daman making Creventic grid walks far more interesting than they have any right to be. So maybe my thoughts don't make complete sense.

But I think in general, I personally (and this is purely my opinion), am a bit bored of hearing about the media involvement. I don't care about personal feuds. I don't care about weird inside jokes. I don't care about the insider points-scoring game. I want to hear about the racing world. The media are not part of the racing world. I do not care about them.

And you know, as much as S365 needs to cut out the damn clickbait, it does do a lot of things right. Dagys doesn't get enough credit for the positives. And not a single broke L SEP U+2028 Line Separator to be seen.

Last edited by Akrapovic; 23 Jul 2019 at 19:57.