View Single Post
Old 23 Jan 2020, 15:40 (Ref:3952957)   #100
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post
I venture into this discussion cautiously as one who gave my best efforts to cover sports car racing whenever I could. I look at Sportscar 365 and Dagys as examples of what I wanted to become but never did. Still over the years, we did make some positive contributions I believe.

You folks are a tough crowd and some of your criticisms are accurate while I question some of them. Covering races is damn hard, exhausting and has its level of danger. I respect the photographers, writers and web developers as I know from experience how difficult their job is.

Recently, we purchased a slide scanner and I have started dipping into the thousands of slides that I shot over the years but never made it to a website. Here is one memorable shot (for me). The photo is a bit grainy but I remember that shot! Andrea Montermini was on the pole and was flying in the special 1997 race at Sebring. I shot this photo and a couple more and then went back to the pits as it was actually too close to the action. He was probably going 140-150 mph.

I was later in the MOMO pit when Montermini came flying around 17 a few minutes later and did a 720 on the front straight. I was standing next to Kevin Doran as he yelled, "Get on the radio and tell that _________ to slow the _______ down!"

I can't wait to find more memories like that one in all the photos but they won't be going to a website. In the early days, I felt appreciation for the efforts and then the comments became hostile and not very encouraging to continue.

Really appreciate you posting this (awesome pic, too).

The older I get, the more I realize that there's some people that'll never be pleased (I could go deep as to why), but certainly, we all make mistakes, missteps and wrong choices. Some do it much more publicly than others and certainly take the heat from anonymous jerks

But I do thank you for the comments about the realness in attempting to make a living doing this.