View Single Post
Old 13 Aug 2011, 06:10 (Ref:2939145)   #10
Count 'Johnny' Spinoza
Rookie

United Kingdom
South London
Count 'Johnny' Spinoza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chaps

I used to be Formula Rep for Bikesports, so know a fair bit about the cars and the characters, and it's a bit off the mark to say that bike engines are unreliable in the Bikesports context.

My own car (a Speads RS06D) has a, wet sumped, tuned '03 R1 installed and has (tempting providence) run like clockwork even though we're pulling well in excess of 2G in some corners.

Indeed, the fact that Radical actually guarantee their engines for 30 hours might indicate that there is nothing wrong with with a well installed bike engine in a sports racing car.

I know the owner(s) of the car(s) that have eaten 12 engines in two seasons pretty well and their problems with their engines ('06 R1s) remain a mystery but are not related to oil control. Rather, they are burning heads and pistons. Both cars are Global GT Lights as, I believe, is Elite Motorsport's, car. It's worth saying '06 R1's have an excellent reliablity record when installed in Jedi single seaters (which are much faster and grippier than Globals) which leads me to think that the problems they have had are installation related.

By the way, something bike engines don't like doing is being used to slow 500kg of car, so you DO have to be sure to be accurate with your downchanges and/or fit a slipper clutch - as I have.

So, to summarise, if your engine is good, your installation is right, you cool and oil the thing properly, and you don't kick the sh*t out of your crank in the braking zone...happy days.