View Single Post
Old 30 May 2014, 18:45 (Ref:3412823)   #1
r3my
Rookie

r3my should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why no Audi in GT at Le Mans?

This is something I've been wondering for awhile. Audi has a fairly big presence in GT racing around the world. For awhile I though they didn't run a GT team at Le Mans because of the P1 team. But with Porsche fielding a P1 and GTE Pro team this year at Le Mans, why doesn't Audi? I know they don't have any teams in the WEC or ELMS, but not all teams for Le Mans come from the WEC or the ELMS. A few of the teams run in the Blancpain Series. Audi has 3 teams they could pull from in the Blancpain series to run at Le Mans. I do know that the Blancpain teams are customer teams, and customer teams don't always have the resources, money, or time to run at Le Mans. But Like Team Manthey, they have factory support from Porsche. If a team were to go to Le Mans with a R8, surely the factory would throw some effort their way. The only other reason I can come up with is that VAG already has a factory backed team in GTE with Team Manthey, but they have two P1 teams, why not two GTE teams?

This is more curiosity than anything else. Was hoping the people here could shed some light on it for me.