View Single Post
Old 30 May 2014, 22:22 (Ref:3412939)   #15
r3my
Rookie

r3my should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudLightJaguar View Post

Yup, even the early colour theme was stars and stripes. And it perfectly suited for Audi. Could Mercedes have done it with SLS Grand-AM? Don't think so. Audi guys are sophisticated but they can switch to very primitive form if they want. Could Lamborghini have done it? No, too limited market. Bent....NO!NO!NO!
Mercedes has a car in the Pirelli World Challenge, but it's by no means a Grand-Am spec car. For the most part, you don't see too many Mercedes racers outside of Europe. Lamborghini had a car in the ALMS for a few races. It was run by West Racing and was supposed to be the Yokohama car like The number 17 Porsche is for Falken. I don't know what happened, but it just disappeared in the middle of the season. I highly doubt we'll see the Bentley outside of Europe, let alone the Blancpain series. To me, the Continental is a cool luxury car.. not a race car.

The only companies that made an effort for Grand-Am were Chevy, Ferrari, Audi, and Mazda. Porsche just imported the GT3 Cup cars over, and Ford would run with the Mustang at Daytona with private teams once in a blue moon. They were just talking about this on the TUSCC qualifying in Detroit. Companies want GT3 spec cars because they're closer to the cars they sell at dealerships. That's more or less what Grand-Am was.. it was stock cars with roll cages and endurance parts installed. But it didn't get the press or coverage like the factory backed GT3/GT2 series did.