View Single Post
Old 13 Feb 2020, 04:59 (Ref:3957350)   #20
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I think we have some good resources for the future. The fact we have many types of renewable energy all over the country shows how far we have come. We have many ways to keep going

The fact that we had to get used to changing technology shows we can continue to do that. I mean the horse and cart analogy shows how reluctant people were to change, but also shows how technology can take a while to get going

Certainly we can look back in a few years time like we have done with everything, like sport and technology and think how far we have gone

The change from horse drawn vehicles was, in large cities, fairly rapid for public transport and commercial vehicles since the benefits were clear (until taxes on fuels took a grip).

For personal transport in general it took somewhat longer - especially in the cities.

That said I recall feeding the milkman's horse when visiting my grandmother in a Midlands.

Grandmother in South London had, iirc, electric milk floats to deliver milk.

Now the floats that are still operating are diesel. I think around our way the electric floats that are available (if there are any left) would probably not have enough range for some of the routes they need to run.

If the current (excuse the unintended pun) shift to electric proves to be genuinely possible and accepted then it will happen anyway.

The the governments showing more "commitment" are having to juggle subsidies, energy price supports and legal threats to force matters suggests the public are not entirely buying into the concepts wholeheartedly.