View Single Post
Old 2 Apr 2021, 11:53 (Ref:4044357)   #178
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I've still seen nothing from this weekend, but I'd like to continue dirt talk.

I think the issue with going to an actual dirt track, keeping jokes aside about fan attendance, there's probably not a track that could hold more than a few thousand folks. Rattling off the top of my head, since the New York Fairgrounds track was shuttered a couple of years ago:

Eldora
Springfield Mile is probably the biggest (ARCA used to run there annually)
Knoxville (Iowa)

I'm sure there's a handful of others with similar attendance capabilities to these
Yeah, all the dirt tracks of my youth in Jersey has closed. They followed the bad plan of expansion without the need.

They were a decent dirt track with good Friday and Saturday night racing and reasonably full fields. Thought if we expand we'll get more of this, that will be great. And what did dirt tracks do to expand?? They effing paved the things. Great, now all the dirt guys on a budget were screwed with cars that can't run and costs that shot up, including my old boss in hs, the media center nerd for the district so you know his budget was huge right? Oh, he paid his pit crew in popsicles so yeah, great budgets. The with a paved track and smaller fields the attendance fell and continued to fall until they closed.

All the dirt tracks I can think of locally, North to Middle Georgia, are smaller and definitely the best of amateur and local pro racing but nothing more than that. Think the track on the southside of town closed twice last year, maybe 2019, because cars hit the light stanchions and took them out. So yes, safety 800th for them. I believe the corners are also back in with your car load and sit on the tailgate trackside and have your race evening picnic, so fan friendly experience I've heard.