Thread: Extreme E 2021
View Single Post
Old 5 Apr 2021, 19:36 (Ref:4044744)   #16
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
How will logistics work without impacting the environment?
To reduce the carbon footprint of the series, all Extreme E freight and logistics will travel by sea.
The historic former Royal Mail Ship the St. Helena has undergone a multi-million-pound renovation, which included a full refurbishment of its mechanics and engines to ensure its efficiency and to minimise its emissions.
The 7,000-tonne vessel will be transformed into a ‘floating garage’ alongside being the operational base for the series. It is esti mated that travelling by sea will lower freight emissions by two thirds in comparison to air travel.

https://www.extreme-e.com/files/m239...-Extreme-E.pdf

Alejandro Agag, Founder and CEO at Extreme E commented: “Extreme E’s goal is to have a zero-net carbon footprint by the end of its first season, which means removing as many emissions as we produce. We plan to achieve this by following the United Nation’s framework which recommends reducing, measuring, and offsetting carbon emissions. The projects we will support will empower local communities to reduce emissions to help protect the planet, not just now but for the long-term.”
Thanks for the links, I knew of the boat but didnt know all the work that had been done on it or the money spent, sound like its straight out of a Bond movie!
What about from the port to the track? It was in the desert at least 3 or 4 hours from the nearest port I believe, some ingenious way of getting there?

Anyway maybe I shouldnt judge the whole thing after 1 round where the format had to be changed (dust in the desert, who would have thought?) With more actual racing it may improve but in a world where things have become very quick fire, stretching the thing out over 2 days may not be particually to the younger generation too popular.