View Single Post
Old 20 May 2020, 21:25 (Ref:3977418)   #5
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
The guidance certainly does raise as many questions as it answers - but it is also said that there will be more detail to follow, and certain things will probably change in line with government guidance as it's issued, so that's not intended as a criticism. Indeed it's good to see steps being taken and the encouragement to "Get back on track".

Certain things are obvious fixes and indeed might even become permanent changes - eg. electronic sign-on before the event, think of the reduced queues at big events and saving of paper!
Certain things have potential - "All reports to be issued by digital or telephonic means". There's be practical issues in this idea: but imagine being able to email your written report direct to race control mid-race; allowing for instant action to be taken especially on endurance races. A more immediate fix to realise this aim could result in excess radio traffic so would require more careful management but extra radio channels can fix that.
Incident handling has the biggest question marks over it - but if there's a willingness to try something different I'm sure something can be achieved. I don't think a winning formula will be hit first time - but providing people are willing to attend; respect social distancing and try different things (whilst still being safe) I'm sure a scheme will develop. There's a few more weeks to see the detail develop yet!