Thread: New historics
View Single Post
Old 10 May 2003, 07:37 (Ref:595156)   #24
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, indeed, many years ago I wrote an article in the Automobile (That's the GB version for old cars for you ex colonials on the other side of the pond!). In this I created an extended simile, comparing cars collected up in museums, ie the Schulmph collection in France to Victorian butterfly collections pinned to cork boards. How much better to see them flitting by on a summer day!

However we do need to know what is a 'real' historic car and what is a replica. There are so many replica GT40's Cobras and D types around, that even if I could afford one I wouldn't want one..the first question would always be "Is it a real one or a replica?" The creation of so many replicas really devalues the experience of enjoying the real thing.

That being said, anyone who has seen the Replica Napier 'Sampson' in action would have to admit its amazing, it tore past me in my Stutz Bearcat last year at Mallory..... The only original parts I believe is the engine which survived in a boat in Australia until the late Bob Chamberlain recreated the car from factory drawings.
Withut sampson, we would never see the mighty thunder of the very early race cars.

Apart from the 1907 GP Panhard of Mark Walker they hardly ever are run today, though several VSCC members have made wonderful specials using WW1 aircraft engines and original period bits.

So, in my view, some replicas do us a service, SO LONG AS THEY ARE ALWAYS DESCRIBED AS SUCH, ie described on the race programme as "the RECREATION of the Napier Sampson." Which is not always the case.

Another case that comes to mind are the re-created Ferrari Shark nose F1 cars.... Its good to see them, they are good copies, but they are most definitely NOT historic race cars.

Last edited by eclectic; 10 May 2003 at 07:41.

Steve McQueen.