Thread: Team Ferrari: in F1
View Single Post
Old 27 Nov 2017, 14:40 (Ref:3783492)   #29
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
A very quick Google brings up this directive, and I am certain that there is a lot more: https://ec.europa.eu/health/tobacco/advertising_en

I am assuming that those advertising posters were in Monaco; they wouldn't be allowed in France.
Yes - Monaco posters. An example of the kind of activity Philip Morris pursue outside of the EU.

Thanks for the link.
I think there are a couple of different views on what constitutes sponsorship. In the EC directive they also provide an extra clarification on what they define as sponsorship 'The ban covers advertising and sponsorship with the aim or [sic] direct or indirect effect of promoting a tobacco product'.

I would imagine the lawyers in the red corner, if challenged, would assert that their interpretation of what is defined as sponsoring is a provision of funds, with no tobacco promotion associated. On Ferrari's website it gives a factual account of Philip Morris, rather than showing their brand(s).

The EC directive, whilst using the word 'sponsorship' has the intention of reducing advertising, not funding. The letter vs spirit of the law debate here possibly?