Thread: Team Honda in F1
View Single Post
Old 20 Mar 2019, 19:13 (Ref:3892258)   #3
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It didn’t work with McLaren, it didn’t quite work with STR.
I would say that it went well with STR, but with the caveat that Red Bull (not RBR) deemed 2018 to be a bridge year to allow Honda to prepare for 2019 with RBR and STR. So one one hand STR was screwed, but on the other it was a success for Red Bull and Honda, because it gave Honda the time to get it together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
RBR have kept Honda in the sport, but how well will the relationship continue?
Outside of providing a home post McLaren there is a deeper meaning to your comment. Given it seems that only McLaren, Ferrari or RBR are the three teams that are used to delineate the boundary of "everyone else" RBR is the ONLY place that Honda could have gone to be successful and ultimately remain in the sport.

Imagine Honda being linked to anyone else that is not a B-team already (or nearly so) for one of the manufactures. Honda with one of those few would be a death sentence. McLaren or can you imagine... Williams? Honda would make zero movement forward (held back by the team) and would then eventually quickly leave the sport.

If things sour with RBR... where would Honda go? Problem is, RBR is in the same boat. Without being the #1 team for a PU manufacture, RBR would decline and Mateschitz would probably decide to exit F1.

Richard