Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Jun 2024, 04:51 (Ref:4213640)   #426
Rusty Nail
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
Rusty Nail should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I think it's up to DR to provide some consistent solid results over the next five race weekends if he's going to have a hope of hanging on to his seat.
Old 15 Jun 2024, 09:00 (Ref:4213873)   #427
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Nail View Post
Well I think it's up to DR to provide some consistent solid results over the next five race weekends if he's going to have a hope of hanging on to his seat.
Indeed. He's obviously on borrowed time.
Old 15 Jun 2024, 16:32 (Ref:4214193)   #428
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
As much as I like DR (being aussie and all) I think his best days are bbehind him. Sure with right car right day he can turn up the odd good result, but there are plenty of young drivers who deserve their chance. HE has had a go, shown he was good not great, so let someone else have a crack now.
Old Yesterday, 17:37 (Ref:4216062)   #429
flatlandsman
Racer

Ireland
Daventry
flatlandsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently Silverstone are not going to sell out, cmon guys help them make more money than they really need! They HAVE to pay for Kings of Leon this year, that must be worth 4 quid for three days surely but dont forget it costs even more to park!
Old Yesterday, 22:15 (Ref:4216100)   #430
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandsman View Post
Apparently Silverstone are not going to sell out, cmon guys help them make more money than they really need! They HAVE to pay for Kings of Leon this year, that must be worth 4 quid for three days surely but dont forget it costs even more to park!
Based on what the head of silverstone at the time said a good few years ago (probably at the tail end of the Bernie era), F1 charges so much in fees that they don't make any money on the grand prix, but that's F1's business model all over, you run the grand prix at a loss and the "prestige" of being the venue that hosts the grand prix means you can raise your prices for all the other events you host.

So them not having a sellout could well be a problem for them, and we'll all probably suffer as a result
Old Yesterday, 23:14 (Ref:4216104)   #431
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Circuits making money out of running a F1 race hasn’t happened for more than a generation.
Old Today, 09:46 (Ref:4216119)   #432
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
If the ticket prices are unreasonable, why not go to a TCR UK meeting instead? They have nice supports like Civic Cup IIRC. £20 will get you in the gate at Snetterton, £16 seniors and £12 under-15s.
Old Today, 10:11 (Ref:4216122)   #433
flatlandsman
Racer

Ireland
Daventry
Silverstone I gather actually get a very cheap deal compared to most, I think on last release their deal costs 25 mill a year, very few cheaper, Compare that to Saudi and Bahrain that pay over 60.

And frankly if you can't make money on praps 200k people paying over 300 quid a ticket, that is 60 million before you start on food, clothing, programmes, etc etc. OK there are huge outlays but if you are not making a profit from a clear income of over 60 million when your biggest outlay is 25 mill hosting fee, they deserve to struggle!!

All the other races clearly must be making a loss, I know they are funded differently, but it is clear Silverstone have put ALL their eggs in the F1 hat recently and they must be making plenty of cash as Pringle the wally, when talking about this lack of sales told everyone they just spent 12 million on a kart track that will make them very little money even long term!!
Old Today, 10:30 (Ref:4216124)   #434
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Can't compare Suadi and Bahrain to Silverstone since the first two are government funded thus a totally different business model. Spa has local government support, as do Monza and Imola.

Frankly I find this constant carping about the costs of Silverstone tickets tedius in the extreme. If you don't want to pay then fine. Those who do pay enjoy the experience. The issue for me is not Silverstone, it's the package and I'd be interested to see if attendances are dropping as a result of the interminable schedule.
Old Today, 10:51 (Ref:4216125)   #435
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Having just read a few articles based off of Pringle's interview, it's clear that it's not just Silverstone that's had trouble with ticket sales, other circuits have also this year.

When the economy is tanking and people don't have the cash to spare on frivolities like F1, they won't buy tickets. There's a lot of competition for bums on grandstand seats this year too, with Euro 2024 and the Paris Olympics to come. Several people I know who would normally go to Silverstone for the Grand Prix have gone to Germany for the football instead and some others are going to the Olympics rather than the F1.

I agree with Peter though on the Silverstone bashing.

Last edited by Greem; Today at 10:53. Reason: Apostrophitis
Old Today, 11:00 (Ref:4216127)   #436
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
One must give flatlandsman a little bit of latitude as I don't believe that he has been able to post a positive comment during his comparatively short time here. I often feel that all his posts are intended to "flame", I think the term is.
Old Today, 17:38 (Ref:4216161)   #437
flatlandsman
Racer

Ireland
Daventry
It is not bashing for the sake of it, if you price an event with very high ticket prices, eventually that will filter down. It has also happened with MotoGP combined in the UK with the loss of Rossi, huge downturn in attendance. You have to expect a reaction.

There are numerous reasons for this problem, but pricing is one of them, the racing is poor, it is predictable, this all adds into the equation when you then add in the cost, other F1 events are much cheaper. And as others have said several things are competing for that extra money this year.

It is clear hundreds of thousands of people are prepared to pay it, so it is hardly bashing is it when the proof is in the last few years worth of massive profits from huge ticket sales, however when things go off a bit it becomes bashing! Because they have simply expected sales to continue without realising that there might be a reaction for numerous reasons, releasing something a few weeks before the race is very late, surely it would better to do this in early May?

I would never pay this for any event, but I am in the MASSIVE minority I have said that consistently. But if they are struggling for sales I am not surprised, there is a cost of living crisis, a lot of people who go there are not remotely interested as most of us are in watching racing of any other kind, they just go here once a year, and if the prices have remained high, and the racing is dull, and dominated by one man, people will vote with their wallet.

F1 is a bubble, and maybe the bubble is bursting.
Old Today, 18:07 (Ref:4216166)   #438
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As BRDC, the owners of Silverstone, made a total loss of a £1/4 million for the 2021 financial year and a loss of just over a million for 2022, I would humbly suggest that they cannot afford to lower prices, no matter what a "fantastic" cut price deal they have for privilege of hosting the British GP.

It's bad enough how much entrants at other events have to pay for the same privilege of racing there, but I would hazard an educated guess that if Silverstone ceased to host the GP, then the UK would be yet another casualty of F1's constantly rising hosting fees. Just like France, Germany and, seemingly, other European venues.