Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 20 Sep 2024, 00:42 (Ref:4227489)   #1351
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You can’t handle the truth!

To be fair it is me saying people can’t handle it. There seems to be a lot of evidence for that.

Although it is opposite from the line from A Few Good Men. We don’t have to go deep down here, the truth is rather dull. The truth is that there are some people analysing some data. They probably drink Perrier water.
Old 20 Sep 2024, 08:42 (Ref:4227504)   #1352
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Sounds like self serving position of you don't know we get to pretend we know from inside info so you have to come to the media to get it and drives clicks/subscription. Or maybe I just don't trust any of those types that want to tell us what we can handle and limit it because arguing isn't good
Just for transparency - I own theracingline.media. I don't write for it, but I do own the name, the url, and CMS, and pay for it all. So I am not unbiased in this discussion.

The article was discussed at length in our group chat before being posted. It wasn't intended as a "you have to come to us to get info", but I can see how it comes across that way.

But the "we need to get the info from the media" is true about everything, surely? Whether that's external media, or the WEC website (which is barely usable), or podcasts, or the commentary team. We rely on media to relay information. Without that every fan would need to dig through the technical PDFs every race, which isn't reasonable.

To argue for the "fans don't need to know" side of things - how many people are aware LMGT3 has success ballast in WEC? Almost nobody. Because it's not mentioned anywhere other than some technical bulletins. The main sites rarely mention it, the commentary team doesn't mention it, RLM doesn't mention it. Since the media isn't talking about it, people aren't aware of it.

Sidenote: If you have an opinion piece you'd want to write but have no where to post it, then theracingline.media is open to anyone on ten tenths who wants to.
Old 20 Sep 2024, 10:33 (Ref:4227515)   #1353
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!

As an aside, I feel I ought to look at GT more. I’ve been automating the review of lap times, speeds, laps, stints, etc… as you might of noticed. For two reason. One is to teach myself python. Another is to make it easier for me to look at the data rather than spend the time pulling it together. Not that it took ages before, but I am time poor.

I mention because one aim to be able to easily switch to look at different classes. Which, apart from Le Mans, I rarely did. Like the TV coverage I concentrated on the top class.

Anyway, I agree, it is rarely mentioned that there is success ballast. I’ve been superficially tracking as I scrape the BoP data which, unless trl get their way is freely available.

And people can’t handle them
Old 20 Sep 2024, 15:27 (Ref:4227550)   #1354
tomcug
Veteran

tomcug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
They have a point. Basically we can’t take it. We can’t understand it and we will just make stuff up. Discussing the changes are almost impossible to do in a rationale way.

What they are calling for is less transparency and the reason is that we can’t be trusted with that information. Which by and large is true.
I'm not sure if it's really a good idea to make the BOP data confidential. First of all, what would we talk about here!? But most importantly, BOP is already a very "hot" topic if you look at places like SC366's comments section or Reddit. And making it secret would probably only make things worse and ignite even more absurd conspiracy theories than the ones that are currently circulating among fans. After all they must have something to hide if they don't want to show it! And I'm pretty sure every victory would be called gifted by BOP in that case (not that it doesn't happen already but I'd expect the trend to become much worse).
Old 20 Sep 2024, 15:39 (Ref:4227553)   #1355
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
BoP. Brilliant or Pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcug View Post
I'm not sure if it's really a good idea to make the BOP data confidential. First of all, what would we talk about here!?
Ha! Good point!

Just some context. I view this topic as interesting
, but in the world order inconsequential. In the context of sportscar racing it is quite fundamental, but where we are now also, oddly, minor. It has as enabled me to see much more of the wonderful nuanced aspects of endurance racing.

So I am flippant, amused and find the topic fun. Yet, also unimportant.

Quote:
But most importantly, BOP is already a very "hot" topic if you look at places like SC366's comments section or Reddit.
Why would you look at that!

It does prove the point. People struggle to rationally dissect the bit of information provided !

Quote:
And making it secret would probably only make things worse and ignite even more absurd conspiracy theories than the ones that are currently circulating among fans. After all they must have something to hide if they don't want to show it! And I'm pretty sure every victory would be called gifted by BOP in that case (not that it doesn't happen already but I'd expect the trend to become much worse).
True. Although does that matter as they probably would do the same just try and use some ropey math to prove it!

But overall I support it. If only because I am interested.
Old Yesterday, 07:12 (Ref:4227609)   #1356
tomcug
Veteran

tomcug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Why would you look at that!
It's a valid point indeed. But for me sometimes it's impossible to resist the temptation to see what people have to say in other places, only to regret looking there later
Old Yesterday, 22:44 (Ref:4227697)   #1357
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm curious as to why IMSA's BOP draws hardly any discussion,criticism, or controversy. The last post in the IMSA BOP thread is from July. If I didn't know any better, I'd say this is what happens when you remove Toyota
Old Yesterday, 23:40 (Ref:4227703)   #1358
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Less cars. Only one type of car at the moment. They just get on with it.

I haven’t got round to updating the IMSA charts

I guess.
Old Today, 04:55 (Ref:4227743)   #1359
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I think the "you can't have this good racing without bop" is not really true. I think it's something that manufacturers see and feel they have a good chance to win, like in GT3. If they were to do another cost-control measure, I think the manufacturers would show up too. Like a budget-cap, or chassis suppliers like now with lmdh/lmp2 (that might not happen).Just my opinion, I feel like bop is the 'easiest' way to appease the group. But it doesn't really stop out-spending by certain manufacturers.
Old Today, 06:01 (Ref:4227745)   #1360
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I think the "you can't have this good racing without bop" is not really true. I think it's something that manufacturers see and feel they have a good chance to win, like in GT3. If they were to do another cost-control measure, I think the manufacturers would show up too. Like a budget-cap, or chassis suppliers like now with lmdh/lmp2 (that might not happen).Just my opinion, I feel like bop is the 'easiest' way to appease the group. But it doesn't really stop out-spending by certain manufacturers.

For once, I agree. However, the ease at which BoP creates the conditions for close racing as opposed to any form of cost control cannot be ignored.

Some manufacturers would show up for cost-controlled series, as long as they agreed with the level of cost-control. But denying the chance to spend their way out of trouble (regardless of if it works or not) would quickly see them leave.
Old Today, 11:12 (Ref:4227763)   #1361
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
One issue BoP has is that all of the manufacturers are completely delusional. They all think they're hard done by with the BoP. So now instead of a manufacturer just doing badly (Peugeot), they think the BoP is unfair.
Old Today, 13:25 (Ref:4227775)   #1362
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
If they really believe this then it is bad as they might leave. Although they probably would have left, or not even joined, without BoP. So no worse off and if they do a better job than Peugeot they will have a decent chance.

It also could just be talk to make themselves feel better and they understand the actual situation. Which is then just being tedious for no real reason.

Still it could be worse. Pescarolo could have a team
Old Today, 15:24 (Ref:4227806)   #1363
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Without BOP: we'd probably have a tech/spending war and whoever gets ahead on tech and usually budget will most likely dominate. Same things basically killed Group C and original IMSA GTP, killed original GT1, and ultimately basically killed LMP1 as we knew it.

With BOP: with have the possibility of politicking and sandbagging, as well as cars being restricted from whatever their capabilities might be if the only major rules we had were just basic rules like in LMP 900 and LMP1 such as minimum weight, a power cap (be it air restrictor/turbo boost or fuel flow) and max/min dimensions. (Already happens in GT racing where several cars already due to BOP and overall performance windows the racing cars get restricted down to making less power than the road cars do, BTW).

IMO, neither system is obviously perfect, so I guess it's sort of pick your poison, as with almost anything else in life.

I will say though that when close racing happens organically like in the ALMS in '03-'05, mostly due to all the teams being basically privateer teams and such, I do think that both teams, fans, and even sanctioning bodies do get spoiled by that and they do resort to BOP and overall to the technical regs to try and create that again when a factory team comes back in with a new car and reasserts the dominance that they had a few years before.

Last edited by chernaudi; Today at 15:51.
Old Today, 15:31 (Ref:4227809)   #1364
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Politicking was just as bad before. There is only one thing people can whinge about and they are asked not to. And if you know anything you can just roll your eyes.

The sandbagging. I’m yet to be convinced that this is anymore than people just running their weekends or natural ebb and flow! Possible is probably a decent way to describe it. As we, again, always had this. Now the governing body actually looks out for it in the data.
Old Today, 15:59 (Ref:4227826)   #1365
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
And IMO, when Pescarolo and Dyson complained to the ACO and IMSA about the R10 having such an advantage and trying to pin that all on diesel engine tech, I do believe that they seemed to forget how much the old R8 thrashed them (often to a worse degree than the R10 ever did) when it was in its prime. And in later years, development on the R8 trailed off (as LMP 900/LMP1 rules were in flux at this time) and were being run by private teams. That allowed other private teams to at least try and catch up. When a factory team comes in with a new car that has tons of development potential, is built around the new rules package, and is fully backed by the factory, can we realistically at the time expect a private team to stick it to them?

IMO, the difference was way more in the camp of factory vs privateer as far as that goes. Only way to mitigate that is with performance balancing (based on team/car capabilities), or cost/tech/performance caps. Unless you want to go down the spec car route.

Last edited by chernaudi; Today at 16:06.