Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 9 Sep 2003, 10:59 (Ref:712942)   #1
TerryC
Racer

United Nations
Shakespeare's County
TerryC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will We See MG Again @ Le Mans?

guys,

has MG given up Le Mans for good? have heard no news about their plan to enter for next year's event and i remember they did quite well back in 2002. it'll be a real shame to see them go. the official MG LM website is gone as well. strange???
Old 9 Sep 2003, 11:11 (Ref:712951)   #2
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I have heard that Phoenix, MG's owners are not in good financial shape, so I doubt we will see tham back in the near future.
Old 9 Sep 2003, 11:12 (Ref:712953)   #3
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
I think a factory-led LMP programme is out of the question -
Old 9 Sep 2003, 11:17 (Ref:712960)   #4
TerryC
Racer

United Nations
Shakespeare's County
this is such a shame. but then again every thing depends on money and this is the thing MG-Rover is short of at the mo...

oh well, they surely spent a huge amount of money on the forth coming X-Power car and the Tata Baby Rover...
Old 9 Sep 2003, 13:30 (Ref:713138)   #5
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I think works involvement is a pipe-dream for the moment, but hopefully the EX257s will be back again next year, and I suspect someone will try to run an X-Power at some point.
Old 9 Sep 2003, 13:38 (Ref:713150)   #6
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Thats not to say we won't see the privateer cars though - Dyson may well want a crack at it
Old 9 Sep 2003, 13:41 (Ref:713153)   #7
TerryC
Racer

United Nations
Shakespeare's County
yeap, dyson privateer MG makes sense. afterall, the MG LMP675 does sound like a hoover.
Old 9 Sep 2003, 14:48 (Ref:713206)   #8
Thumper
Racer

Thumper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've heard news (today, so it's still h-h-h-hot) that there will be a privateer EX257 in the November Le Mans race, pending ACO acceptance of course. (I assume we're going to face that selection ordeal again?) As with everyone else concerned in that event, prime objective will be to earn an automatic entry to next year's 24 Hours. It's a well-funded British outfit with semi-works involvement and some rapid drivers BUT . . . I can't say more than that. Sorry guys.
Old 9 Sep 2003, 17:44 (Ref:713387)   #9
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hopefully there will be 5 EX257's might be out at Le Mans in November,that the 2 Dyson Cars and 1 each from Intersport, Hugh Chamberlin's and RML.

As for a full works return I can not see that happening, in my view had the project continued in to this they could have given the Bentley's a run for there money.
Old 9 Sep 2003, 19:34 (Ref:713503)   #10
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Shame they stopped when they did, they were doing great in terms of speed but it was a shame that an MG never saw the flag at Le Mans.
Old 10 Sep 2003, 15:11 (Ref:714176)   #11
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
Hopefully there will be 5 EX257's might be out at Le Mans in November,that the 2 Dyson Cars and 1 each from Intersport, Hugh Chamberlin's and RML.
What an assault ! regarding theirconsistent performances in ALMS , the threaten to LMP 900 is real...
Old 11 Sep 2003, 08:44 (Ref:714788)   #12
Thumper
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
Hopefully there will be 5 EX257's at Le Mans in November,that the 2 Dyson Cars and 1 each from Intersport, Hugh Chamberlin's and RML.
Confirmation of the RML car in today's Autosport, with Mike Newton (who owns it) suggesting that he never purchased the beast with the intention that it languished in a museum, and where better than the LMES to show it off. Any suggestions as to drivers?
Old 11 Sep 2003, 09:45 (Ref:714828)   #13
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Thumper
Confirmation of the RML car in today's Autosport, with Mike Newton (who owns it) suggesting that he never purchased the beast with the intention that it languished in a museum, and where better than the LMES to show it off. Any suggestions as to drivers?
This is presumably the same Mike Newton who drives a Graham Nash Saleen in FIA GTs, (and owns at least a couple of the GNM cars- he's got some collection....), so I wouldn't be too surprised if he intends to have a run in the car himself- his FIA GT team-mate Thomas Erdos wouldn't be a bad choice though....
Old 11 Sep 2003, 10:37 (Ref:714873)   #14
Thumper
Racer

I suspect you've got it in one . . . or should that be two? I've been quite impressed with Mike's performance this season. Before it all started there were some who were less than flattering about his experience and prospects, but he's shown regular improvement all year and was well on the pace at Anderstorp before being tipped into the gravel - by the car, I hasten to add. As for Thomas Erdos, no question he's up to the job and beyond. It will be interesting to see how they measure up in a prototype.
Old 11 Sep 2003, 13:39 (Ref:715100)   #15
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Tommy in an MG Lola!! - Now that I'd pay to see!!!
Old 11 Sep 2003, 16:40 (Ref:715274)   #16
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, MGs have good chances to qualify for LM2004 because the Bugatti circuit is good for LMP675 and has many turns !...
The interest of the november race will depend also on the weather and on a rather cold track.
Old 11 Sep 2003, 21:23 (Ref:715653)   #17
C_g
Racer

C_g should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt Dyson will be at the Bugatti circuit in November. They are considering doing Le Mans next year, but they've considered doing it before (and even made entries) and backed out at the last minute, so I wouldn't count on anything until they're there. I don't think Rob Dyson would want to go unless he knows he has a shot at winning. He's not racing to make up the numbers. He likes winning.