Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Jun 2024, 17:38 (Ref:4211819)   #1
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Canadian GP

Just a query really. Why isn't the Canadian race combined with some of the American races? Surely this would save money in the long term. Making the European section better for cost, and any repairs if necessary. Thoughts.
Old 4 Jun 2024, 18:23 (Ref:4211832)   #2
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
financially and sustainability wise, no doubt it would make more sense to pair it with those other races but i suspect, placing it in early may (to twin with Miami) would be too rainy/cold in Monty and an oct/nov to pair up with Vegas, Austin, or Mexico City it would be too rainy/cold in Monty.

for a couple of years thought they did twin the race with Indy but, if memory serves, there were complaints of one race taking crowds away from the other or vice versa...but having been to a few Montreal GPs during those years i never noticed any years where the place wasn't overflowing packed and Indy always seemed like a massive draw until they messed that up.
Old 4 Jun 2024, 19:41 (Ref:4211848)   #3
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
Just a query really. Why isn't the Canadian race combined with some of the American races? Surely this would save money in the long term. Making the European section better for cost, and any repairs if necessary. Thoughts.
Well, it's Canada, so basically a replacement for a race in France...

I think your suggestions would have made sense back in the sensible times but with current budgets and marketing the geographic location - race to race - seems to be less important than was once the case.

That is likely true of all sporting activity. Top level athletes, for example, spending a lot of time away from home in winter training camps or enduring Altitude training.
Old 4 Jun 2024, 20:32 (Ref:4211852)   #4
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I believe Chillibowl has the right idea in that due to the extremes in weather in Montreal it was always going to be a "summer race". It then became an annual event on that weekend.

The Indy races were timed to pair with Montreal in the weeks after "The month of May". I can't comment on the crowd complaints thing, but wouldn't be at all surprised at that time when F1 was still struggling to get a foothold in the US.

Now it would be a case of moving one of the US races to pair with Canada, but given their locations in the southern half of the US, could fall into heat conditions.
Having said that there was talk of putting lights at Miami and running a night race there, so could a summer night race work, if they were prepared to move to June?
Old 4 Jun 2024, 20:32 (Ref:4211853)   #5
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Used to run adjacent to the US GP (Phoenix) and the Mexican GP back in the day - fleet of US trucks was used to get the cars & gear from Mexico City to Phoenix then onto Montreal but as others have said, different times etc.

I think that Chilli's point is the strongest - the weather in Montreal pretty much mandates this time of year so aligning with any of the US races wouldn't quite work.
Old 5 Jun 2024, 13:26 (Ref:4211918)   #6
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Miami in June would be rather hot.
Old 5 Jun 2024, 14:08 (Ref:4211926)   #7
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
financially and sustainability wise, no doubt it would make more sense to pair it with those other races but i suspect, placing it in early may (to twin with Miami) would be too rainy/cold in Monty and an oct/nov to pair up with Vegas, Austin, or Mexico City it would be too rainy/cold in Monty.

for a couple of years thought they did twin the race with Indy but, if memory serves, there were complaints of one race taking crowds away from the other or vice versa...but having been to a few Montreal GPs during those years i never noticed any years where the place wasn't overflowing packed and Indy always seemed like a massive draw until they messed that up.
Exactly that, Montreal and the other NA rounds don't line up seasonally. Vegas is just hot hot any time, COTA is insanely muggy and generally violent stormy this time of year and well Miami is a swamp
Old 5 Jun 2024, 14:11 (Ref:4211927)   #8
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As others have pointed out, I think it's weather related for the most part.

Miami's temperatures are warm, but don't jump as much in summer months, but the wet season starts in May, so I suspect an early May date for Miami is scheduled to miss the summer wet weather?

Austin however would be decently hot in June and even warmer in July. June average highs in Montreal will be 23.9C/75F while Austin will be 33.3C/92F. But in October Austin is cooler with a high of 27.8C/82F

Looking at climate data for Mexico City and Las Vegas (night), I suspect their weather would not be a factor and they would have flexibility on timing. Seems like they do Mexico after Austin for logistic purposes and Las Vegas at the opposite end of the calendar from Monaco?

No doubt there are many other factors that goes into how the calendar is created. Things like historic timing, etc.

Richard
Old 5 Jun 2024, 14:16 (Ref:4211929)   #9
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Plus hurricane season starts June 1 for Miami, and has been inching earlier
Old 7 Jun 2024, 17:29 (Ref:4212226)   #10
v8supes
Veteran

v8supes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Session starts but pit lane wont open because the track is wet. Wet being an understatement, flooded in certain areas.

Last edited by v8supes; 7 Jun 2024 at 17:39.
Old 7 Jun 2024, 22:40 (Ref:4212270)   #11
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8supes View Post
Session starts but pit lane wont open because the track is wet. Wet being an understatement, flooded in certain areas.
The wonders of newly resurfaced tracks.