Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 25 Nov 2007, 00:37 (Ref:2074975)   #1
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Formula NASCAR? With the COT, technology trumps driver suggestions

Quote:
With the Car of Tomorrow being the only racecar available for use in NASCAR's top series next year, technology will take on an even bigger role in determining race setups. Driver feedback about the handling of the cars remains important, but Roush says the days of taking a driver's suggestions on how to fix a problem are gone.
Quote:
"Some people may not know it, but these COT cars are all about engineering and computers and gadgets to make them go," Biffle said in mid-October. "You still have to have a good driver, but I can't pick a spring, a sway bar or nothing. We got rained out in Loudon [N.H.], and we called a guy in Michigan who's got a 'sim' program to find out what front sway bar we're going to race.

"I feel like we're F1 [Formula One] racing. Whatever the computer says, whatever the seven-post shaker rig says is the best set of shocks, by God, it's the best set of shocks -- period. I've only found a couple of times where I've found a shock a LITTLE bit better than what the seven-post said, but I can't beat it."
Quote:
"The more data points you have, the better you're going to run," Montoya said. "We don't have one [a seven-post rig] yet, but I believe we're getting one."
Full article at http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/head...fle/index.html

If accurate, this should exacerbate the gap between the big budget teams and the rest--exactly the opposite of what the COT was supposed to do!

3 Heinz-Harald Frentzen Williams-Renault 42 (1 win, 1 pole)

Anyone could have won in the 97' Williams...
Old 25 Nov 2007, 02:58 (Ref:2075002)   #2
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This isn't new to the COT, it has been like this for some time, and this is why NASCAR is losing quite a bit of its orriginal fan base.
Old 25 Nov 2007, 11:18 (Ref:2075102)   #3
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Roush
Driver feedback about the handling of the cars remains important, but Roush says the days of taking a driver's suggestions on how to fix a problem are gone.
Isn't this because drivers need more time to get used to the CoT?
Old 25 Nov 2007, 14:05 (Ref:2075162)   #4
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
NASCAR seems to have suddenly got big into rigs - but they aint new...?
Old 25 Nov 2007, 15:04 (Ref:2075182)   #5
kelvin88
Veteran

United Kingdom
south east
kelvin88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They have come this far, why not move to a control shock absorber? and while we're at it, control springs and and sway bar?
Old 25 Nov 2007, 15:36 (Ref:2075194)   #6
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why is everyone trying to encourage spec racers - bring back engineering thats what I say! I love NASCAR but the CoY's and the dodgy games played with them were far better
Old 26 Nov 2007, 15:03 (Ref:2075839)   #7
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
Why is everyone trying to encourage spec racers - bring back engineering thats what I say! I love NASCAR but the CoY's and the dodgy games played with them were far better
Because most of the world's sanctioning bodies believe that standardising regulations for each competitor is the way to improve competition and cut costs. In actuality, I believe that spec racing only causes large teams to spend obscene amounts of money only to squeeze out that extra tenth, and in the process price out the little people of the sport, but that's just one man's opinion.