Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Nov 2006, 20:00 (Ref:1769807)   #1
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spyker second seat

Who do you think will get it, who is linked to it, personally i would like to see Montagny in there, come on guys any suggestions.
Old 19 Nov 2006, 20:13 (Ref:1769809)   #2
outflat
Racer

outflat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montagny's signed to be Toyota test driver, in place of Zonta, who's gone to Renault.

I imagine Monteiro is likely to retain his seat, the team know him and he seems to be well backed.
Old 19 Nov 2006, 20:29 (Ref:1769818)   #3
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They've signed a few sponsors over the off season, so maybe they can afford someone better than Monterio. Paffet, perhaps?
Old 19 Nov 2006, 20:51 (Ref:1769833)   #4
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd really like it if Paffett were to claim the second seat, however, I suspect that for a small team the lure of some additional sponsorship revenue will be hard to resist. Therefore I suspect that Monteiro has to be the favourite on account of his experience with the team, whilst Sutil has to be in the frame and the Doornbos's nationality may help if he doesn't secure a Toro Rosso seat.
Old 19 Nov 2006, 20:58 (Ref:1769841)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Paffet is testing for Honda,which kind of rules him out.
Old 19 Nov 2006, 20:59 (Ref:1769842)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What, no mention of Verstappen?

It does look like Monteiro will get it doesn't it.
Old 19 Nov 2006, 21:41 (Ref:1769864)   #7
outflat
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
Paffet is testing for Honda,which kind of rules him out.
Paffet missed out on the Honda gig to Klien
Old 19 Nov 2006, 22:19 (Ref:1769884)   #8
Paulc
Rookie

Paulc has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Wheres Pedro De La Rosa going top man for the job!
Old 19 Nov 2006, 22:25 (Ref:1769887)   #9
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulc
Wheres Pedro De La Rosa going top man for the job!
I'm guessing he would prefer to gamble on McLaren not signing Hamilton and getting a season in a top car, with a consolation prize of a well paid testing contract than another season in an average car which is unlikely to prolong his F1 career.
Old 19 Nov 2006, 22:35 (Ref:1769893)   #10
Paulc
Rookie

Paulc has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper
I'm guessing he would prefer to gamble on McLaren not signing Hamilton and getting a season in a top car, with a consolation prize of a well paid testing contract than another season in an average car which is unlikely to prolong his F1 career.
Hmmm not sure thats a good move, if he tests for Mclaren then I dont think at his age he will get an F1 seat again.Maybe better to stay in with a lesser team.
Old 19 Nov 2006, 23:11 (Ref:1769915)   #11
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulc
Hmmm not sure thats a good move, if he tests for Mclaren then I dont think at his age he will get an F1 seat again.Maybe better to stay in with a lesser team.
True, but then would a season of what will be, at best, a midfield car increase de la Rosa's long term employability? Certainly his stints at Arrows and Jaguar didn't help him secure a top, full time racing seat so why should a season at Spyker be any diiferent. I understand your comment regarding de la Rosa's age, but by the same token the opportunities to get into a race winning car are likely to be very few from now on. Therefore gambling on McLaren delaying Hamilton's debut or signing as a test driver and hoping that for some reason Hamilton fails to shine. In addition, staying at McLaren will probably give a larger contribution to the de la Rosa retirement fund. Given these possibilities, waiting for McLaren to make up their minds may prove to be the more tempting option.
Old 19 Nov 2006, 23:28 (Ref:1769935)   #12
outflat
Racer

de la Rosa is already confirmed at McLaren, the only question is whether he'll race or test
Old 20 Nov 2006, 00:00 (Ref:1769951)   #13
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Well it was looking good for Klien for a while, but he did the right thing going to Honda.

Yamamoto has been mooted, when is this shootout going to happen for the seat? I hope Monteiro doesn't get it - he's slow!
Old 20 Nov 2006, 00:22 (Ref:1769959)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by outflat
Paffet missed out on the Honda gig to Klien
Ah yes.
Old 20 Nov 2006, 00:29 (Ref:1769962)   #15
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paffett would be great in there, but I fear the gig'll go to resident Portuguese 'star' Tiago Monteiro, who despite being a great guy - isn't a F1 level racing driver, IMO. (When you consider other talents.)
Old 20 Nov 2006, 07:49 (Ref:1770069)   #16
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just throwing it into the mix... Scott Speed?
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 20 Nov 2006, 09:27 (Ref:1770139)   #17
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
Just throwing it into the mix... Scott Speed?
I'd imagine if he gets dropped for Doornbos, RB will be keen to keep him around still. Next year he'll be under alot more pressure considering RB are also grooming Vettel and Bruno Senna, both whom could be looking at an STR seat around 2008-2009. Both Liuzzi and Speed will want to drive themself to the top of the list of of replacements if Coulthard calls it quits at the end of the year.
Old 20 Nov 2006, 10:51 (Ref:1770475)   #18
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Whoever dosen't get the Toro Rosso seat will get a Red Bull testing seat I think.
Old 21 Nov 2006, 04:08 (Ref:1771133)   #19
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How about chances for South Americans? Viso run the third car on last Brazilian GP... and could be others on the frame...
Old 21 Nov 2006, 11:27 (Ref:1771341)   #20
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
on ORF1, Kolles (fluent in German) said if the team can afford singing drivers with no sponsorship Klien is as good as confirmed! Obivously, the moment Klien signed with Honda, it was clear Spyker sorted their budget, and learned that the 2nd driver needs to have money, and a lot of it, so the way I see it's now just a race between Portugese gov and Sutil's sponsors. I just dont see any other race-worthy drivers walking around with this sort of money ATM, and i have doubts that even Capri-Sun (Sutil's main sponsor) is really ready for a major F1 sponsorship... It does look Moneteiro for the 3rd time indeed
Old 21 Nov 2006, 11:35 (Ref:1771352)   #21
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Doornbos seems confident of staying at RedBull.

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=135435

Last edited by Marbot; 21 Nov 2006 at 11:38.
Old 21 Nov 2006, 11:50 (Ref:1771367)   #22
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alonso11
on ORF1, Kolles (fluent in German) said if the team can afford singing drivers with no sponsorship Klien is as good as confirmed! Obivously, the moment Klien signed with Honda, it was clear Spyker sorted their budget, and learned that the 2nd driver needs to have money, and a lot of it, so the way I see it's now just a race between Portugese gov and Sutil's sponsors. I just dont see any other race-worthy drivers walking around with this sort of money ATM, and i have doubts that even Capri-Sun (Sutil's main sponsor) is really ready for a major F1 sponsorship... It does look Moneteiro for the 3rd time indeed
Add to this the petro-dollars of PDVSA in case Viso enters in the fight for Spykers second racing seat.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 17:21 (Ref:1772414)   #23
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a thought, if the portugese government has to have a driver in F1 then why don`t they put their money behind Parente, surely he is a much better long term proposition.