Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 2 Oct 2004, 16:54 (Ref:1113451)   #1
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
MotoGP Rule Changes For 2005

A few new rules for 2005:[list=1][*]Only one qualifying session, the day before the race[*]Upper limit of 25 years old for 125cc riders[*]This one's already in - wet races no longer stoppped, but ran as a continuous race, with tyre/setup cahnges if neccessary[/list=1]

What do you all think?
Old 2 Oct 2004, 17:07 (Ref:1113456)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
2nd rule sucks.
Bye bye, Youichi...
Old 2 Oct 2004, 17:08 (Ref:1113457)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The wet race rule is odd.......will the teams redesign parts to make tyre changes quicker or will we be seeing horrible fumbling pitstops?

Can't say I agree with the other two either!

Last edited by Knowlesy; 2 Oct 2004 at 17:10.
Old 2 Oct 2004, 17:18 (Ref:1113461)   #4
x_dt
Veteran

England
Manchester, UK
x_dt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know how the upper age limit rule for the 125cc class is worded? What about riders who reach their 25th birthday during the course of a season - Pablo Nieto (dob 4th June 1980 according to MotoGP.com) reaches 25 in the middle of 2005. Would he be allowed to do the full season in 125cc?
:confused:

As per this reg the following 125cc regulars from this year are definitely out:
Mirko Giansanti (still no win in 7-8 years)
Stefano Perugini
Roberto Locatelli
Steve Jenkner
Gino Borsoi
Fabrizio Lai (only got his first podium recently)
Youichi Ui (yes he's moved on but)
Andrea Ballerini
Old 2 Oct 2004, 17:33 (Ref:1113465)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think drivers must be under 25 at the start of the season - so Nieto wuld be able to do the whole season.

Realistically, most of the guys in that list are journeymen who have added very little in the last few years.

Presumably teams will try to design the bikes so as to make tyre/setup changes easier. I'll reserve judgment on how well it'll work until it's happened, but I think it'll be okay - adn certainly good for TV/casual fans.
Old 2 Oct 2004, 18:13 (Ref:1113481)   #6
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Steve Jenkner is a journeyman? :confused:
Old 2 Oct 2004, 18:37 (Ref:1113490)   #7
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Finnish TV commentators said that limit would be 28 years.
It means that Lai (born 1978 IIRC) can still ride in the 125.

Earlier they had plans that riders have to leave the series when they are 25, but riders already 25 were given permission to continue.
Old 4 Oct 2004, 04:01 (Ref:1114527)   #8
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I belive that they are allowed to swap to wet bikes which seems odd, so I am probably incorrect.

The one qualification rule is interesting, becase unlike F1 they allways go faster (mostly) on the second day, but It just makes things more hectic and exciting. It also makes tv better.

Edit: this was my original post, which is funny so i'll leave it.
Quote:
Me
I belive that they are allowed to swap to wet bikes which seems odd, so I am probably odd.

Last edited by Hazza; 4 Oct 2004 at 04:03.
Old 4 Oct 2004, 11:24 (Ref:1114768)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Not sure how the swapping to wet bikes would work - does this mean that a rider who damages the bike or has a problem could limp back to the pits, swap bikes and rejoin the race? Would this still apply when it's not raining?

A better way to apply the age limit might be to restrict riders in teh number of races they can do - perhaps say that they can only ride the season if they've done less than 100 races (at any class) before the season?
Old 4 Oct 2004, 13:31 (Ref:1114879)   #10
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roberto Locatelli
Steve Jenkner
Gino Borsoi
Youichi Ui

Journeymen?? esp Ui... come on now.
Old 5 Oct 2004, 01:34 (Ref:1115489)   #11
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Not sure how the swapping to wet bikes would work - does this mean that a rider who damages the bike or has a problem could limp back to the pits, swap bikes and rejoin the race? Would this still apply when it's not raining?
That what puzzled me! So I might be wrong.
Old 5 Oct 2004, 07:14 (Ref:1115590)   #12
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Im confused about the age limit thing.

From what i remember the Italian 125cc series brought this in a few years ago.

I could be wrong but if a rider competes in a 125cc race before he is 25 then he is allowed to ride in the class whenever he wants to , so for exzample if he races at the age of 24 in the world championship and then goes away and races lawnmowers for 5 years he is still elligible to compete in te class at the age of 29 because he did compete before he was 25.

I could be wrong but thats the way I see it , it will stop 35 year debutants (not that there is many) and creates a complete breeding class in the true sense of the matter.

am I reading that correct or have I got it completely wrong yet again ?
Old 8 Oct 2004, 17:53 (Ref:1119128)   #13
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re: MotoGP Rule Changes For 2005

Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Only one qualifying session, the day before the race
Not fussed about that. Compacts the weekend.

Quote:
Upper limit of 25 years old for 125cc riders
I've read many who have disagreed with this, but IMO it's a good thing. It gives many young, talented riders that class where they can really go out and prove themselves, and when they are ready, they make the step up to 250s to mix it with established stars there. Hell, 125s are dominated by young riders nowadays anyway...

Quote:
This one's already in - wet races no longer stopped, but ran as a continuous race, with tyre/setup cahnges if neccessary
I like this as split races are always confusing for the viewer, and even teams, alike.