Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 3 Feb 2002, 16:42 (Ref:209683)   #1
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Html

No... I haven't been working on this website for too long (well actually I have...) but I mean the team. What are they doing next year ? I was heard they were going to ETCC with Alfa next year but then I've just been speaking to someone in the know who says they're staying in the BTCC...

uuurgghhh! Anyone know any more ?
Old 3 Feb 2002, 17:41 (Ref:209724)   #2
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's most likely to be the Touring Class they'd be in I'd say if they're staying in the BTCC, because of the TV.

I know of at least 1 team that is re-considering their involvement in BTCP this year as there is a general feeling BTCP cars will be neglected this year by the TV producers.

Last edited by touringlegend; 3 Feb 2002 at 17:43.
Old 3 Feb 2002, 19:20 (Ref:209784)   #3
Radisichrox
Veteran

United States
New York
Radisichrox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I honestly hope that they don't neglect the Proddies too much. More often then not, they provide racing that is either as good or better than the Tourers, plus the cars sound great from the in-car cameras. Hopefully they won't be neglected too much. I understand that the Tourers are the main thing but they should at least get some equal coverage.
Old 3 Feb 2002, 20:06 (Ref:209817)   #4
Reido Rules
Veteran

Reido Rules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HTML may be the team that has expressed interest in the MG's, but I doubt it.

They were trying to get a couple of Alfas, but they also said whether they run Alfas in europe or not, they will not neglect the BTCC.

They could buy the cars and convert them for the BTCC or they could get a deal with Alfa to run cars in both championships.

5th Manufacturer Alfa, run by HTML??? or am I getting stupid??? I think the latter is more accurate.
Old 3 Feb 2002, 22:04 (Ref:209829)   #5
hunttheshunt
Veteran

hunttheshunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know-HTML dont have any other options in the BTCT. Only the MG or maybe the Lexus' seem viable?
Old 3 Feb 2002, 22:25 (Ref:209857)   #6
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I reckon the Alfa option seems realistic.
Old 4 Feb 2002, 11:32 (Ref:210020)   #7
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can't see Alfa backing a team in the ways suggested. They will either enter a team themselves (by appointing a team to run works cars) or not enter at all.

Lets say they had provided 'some' support to JSM last year, despite JSM doing their best, Alfa would be having a hard time explaining to their bosses why the 147 was shown on TV every other weekend, either smoking, retiring or being thrahed by a Vauxhall Astra - none of which are in the brand image that Alfa have been portraying in their TV & press ad's.

Once a manufacturer supports a team the stakes and pressure increase massively. No manufacturer is going to tool up two months before the season starts and throw money at a team or organisation it knows little about, doesn't know its capabilities - or what they would even get for their money or how much to spend. IMHO

History shows that one way that is almost guaranteed NOT to gain any support - is to enter a car off your own back and then tap on the manufacturers door for money. Gary Ayles spent most of 2000 & 2001 trying to get Alfa support and JSM undoubtedly spent a lot of 2001 trying the same thing and currently neither have it.

TMSR did the same with Lexus and got the same result. Car makers won't be brow beaten into supporting teams just because they have chosen to race their make of car. If you can't pay for it don't do it!
Old 4 Feb 2002, 12:40 (Ref:210072)   #8
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Why oh why didn't JSM choose the 156!!! I'm sure Alfa would've given them some backing.

You are right Super Tourer. Arena approached Honda about running the Civic Type-R's as privateers first, and Honda thought the idea so good they extended it to works! Maybe that is the way to do it.

One good thing to come out the TMSR situation was that they showed Lexus the IS200's potential. With a little bit more work that car would be a winner.
Old 4 Feb 2002, 18:37 (Ref:210296)   #9
Reido Rules
Veteran

Reido Rules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hate to go against popular opinion, but JSM were not the team to develop the car, they had limited finance and backing. Had Alfa been involved they would have used 156's no question, the 147 is not favoured for racing what so ever. If HTML are close with Alfa then they could convert the ETCC cars or persuade Alfa to do a BTCC campaign.

Alfa do know HTML, and were confident about them running two 156's for them.
Old 5 Feb 2002, 02:17 (Ref:210489)   #10
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
touringlegend wrote:

>One good thing to come out the TMSR situation was that >they showed Lexus the IS200's potential. With a little bit >more work that car would be a winner.
>
IS200s have been racing back in Japan ever since they were introduced. I'm sure Toyota knows their competitiveness. However, for some reason, Toyota GB just can't imagine spending that type of money. All their racing efforts since '91 have been lacklustre.

But I have to agree, it would be cool to see a Toyota on GB tracks!
Old 5 Feb 2002, 13:07 (Ref:210592)   #11
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Reido.

I'd love to see Alfa back - but I don't believe they will do it on any other basis than a well planned attack having evaluated several proposals and costings.

I believe HTML were looking at running some customer ETCC cars - probably build by Nordauto which is a different thing to designing and building a BTC car as a 'works' team.

In terms of pure timescale the first BTCC race is April, no car maker is going to back themselves into a corner to rush out a deal - they know is likely to end in disaster.

You also have to look at why Alfa chose the ETCC over the BTCC. The UK is a tiny market for Alfa - they probably sell around 12-15 thousand cars a year. One of Ford's model range will sell this many in a month. It probably doesn't cost that much more to run in the ETCC compared to the BTCC - but you can market to the whole of Europe via Eurosport TV and race in the flesh on European circuits.

Alfa UK like to spend their marketing budget on TV, posters and quality press advertising, which leaves little left over for motorsport sponsorship.