Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 26 Jul 2000, 11:01 (Ref:25763)   #1
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One of the few downers of the Coys weekend was the incident which occurred in the 1950s GP car race.

One of the Cooper Bristols somersaulted into the Copse gravel trap, throwing its pilot away as it did so. Certainly one of the uglier incidents I have had the misfortune to witness.

The driver, Colin Cowdery, was seen to get up, walk twenty steps toward the recovery crew, and then keel over. At which point the medics took him in charge.

Does anyone know how he is? I would very much like to have my mind put at ease, because it was a very, very violent incident.

Anyone here have connections with the HGPCA?
Old 27 Jul 2000, 15:50 (Ref:26140)   #2
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Apologies for answering my own thread, but to put at ease anyone who was wondering - I have had word today that Colin is alright.

A little shaken, but none the worse for wear.

Which is more than can be said for the car. It rolled at least twice, once over the top of the driver, after it shed a wheel. It was the wheel scudding across the gravel trap which first caught my attention in the accident.

When the car was fully inverted, and stationary, the engine could clearly be heard still gunning, until something burst in a cloud of oil smoke.

So apart from having to do a complete sheet metal straightening on the poor old car, Colin is likely to be faced with an engine rebuild too.

Thank goodness, though, that it's just the car, and that there is no need for a Colin rebuild as well. Better to walk away bemoaning your bank balance, than not walking away at all.
Old 27 Jul 2000, 16:02 (Ref:26142)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Strangely appropriate considering the theme for this year.

Maybe Colin was trying to re-create the John Bolster ERA accident from the 1949 GP. I think I'm right in saying JB rolled about three times and walked away from a car that was just a ball of metal.

OK. I know JB rolled at Abbey and it was an ERA but hey.

Glad he's okay though.
Old 7 Aug 2000, 06:28 (Ref:28892)   #4
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Diabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDiabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Colin Cowdery - Is he the cricket player? (Eng. Team)

??
Old 8 Aug 2000, 11:42 (Ref:29113)   #5
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Don't think it is.

And I'm afraid Colin Cowdery the cricket player isn't very well at the moment. The news said he was hospitalised last week. Don't know why.