Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Jan 2002, 04:49 (Ref:199971)   #1
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
News Just In: Webber is Minardi's Man!

Courtesy ITV-F1:

Australian Mark Webber has won the race for the second Minardi seat according to sources close to the team.

The decision means that Australia will have a representative on the F1 grid for the first time since David Brabham last raced back in 1994.

The popular driver impressed in F3000 and in his Formula 1 testing for Benetton last season. As Australia’s only F1 driver he would be a popular addition to next year’s grid and will help expand the sport’s global appeal.

Minardi boss and fellow Australian Paul Stoddart ran the 26-year-old in F3000 back in 2000 and he is a good friend and supporter of Webber.

Speaking late last year to ITV-F1 Webber said: "I feel it is time to get on the grid and race in F1. It’s no secret that I’ve been in negotiations with Paul. Hopefully he can pull it all together. I’m not worried that Minardi are one of the smaller teams. Driving for them did no harm for Fisichella, Trulli or Alonso."

Webber is currently in Valencia and is hoping to get a run out in the car at this week’s test session at the Spanish circuit. He will line up alongside Malaysian racer Alex Yoong next year.

Minardi are expected to make an official announcement confirming Webber next week.

The decision means that if the Prost team fails to solve its financial problems then either Heinz-Harald Frentzen or Jos Verstappen will miss out on a drive in 2002.

The pair are in contention for the final remaining seat on the F1 grid at Arrows, with Frentzen currently the favourite to secure the drive.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Personally, I don't know how reliable this news piece is, but if it's all true, then.......

HOORAY!!!

Last edited by f1manoz; 17 Jan 2002 at 04:49.
Old 17 Jan 2002, 05:44 (Ref:199975)   #2
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Re: News Just In: Webber is Minardi's Man!

Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
Courtesy ITV-F1:

Australian Mark Webber has won the race for the second Minardi seat according to sources close to the team.
Personally, I don't know how reliable this news piece is, but if it's all true, then.......

HOORAY!!!
Well, if this turns out to be false, you will have a lot of explaining to do - maybe even change your nick to "Drongo".

If true, then the first thing we will want to find out would be:- will Mark lap faster than Yoong!! What do you think? I think YES

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 17 Jan 2002 at 05:47.
Old 17 Jan 2002, 06:46 (Ref:199987)   #3
timbo2001
Racer

timbo2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just read it at ITV-F1 myself, and I literally jumped up and down with joy. I have spent a long time waiting for this moment, and to see Mark finally get a race seat brings a tear to my eye. Lets just hope these "sources" prove correct. Bring on Albert Park 2002!!!
Old 17 Jan 2002, 10:56 (Ref:200034)   #4
GasMan
Racer

GasMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice one. Really great news. Now we just need them to get a point or two in the season and we're sorted. Podium would be nice but that's just wishful thinking.
Old 17 Jan 2002, 11:02 (Ref:200036)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great news !!!!

I really hope it is true.
Old 17 Jan 2002, 11:08 (Ref:200039)   #6
M Power
Racer

M Power should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this is the best news I've heard .( If you look at my posting in Webber thread my source told me this early this week )
As for mr Yuoong well he do ok ! But Mark (2002 rookie of the year ) will discard him quite easly & will do the same to MR Massa as well

P.S
I know who will be going to Ferrari mid year as well !
but you will know more soooooon
Old 17 Jan 2002, 11:15 (Ref:200042)   #7
Rimrider
Racer

Rimrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VB - The Minardi team manager could lap faster than Yoong.
Old 17 Jan 2002, 11:31 (Ref:200048)   #8
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
I'm not counting my bridges until my chickens are crossed. When I read the confirmation in Autosport and F1-Live, then I will rejoice. If not, F1Manoz will have a lot of angry Aussis knocking on his door.
Old 17 Jan 2002, 11:39 (Ref:200050)   #9
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst Jos and Heinz are still 'available' as it were, Paul is mad to sign Mark...
Old 17 Jan 2002, 15:05 (Ref:200144)   #10
timbo2001
Racer

Just to let you know, in Mark's first day of testing for minardi, he's already done the fastest Minardi lap of the week. Being his first time in the car, this is not a bad achievement. he blew that Albers fella out of the water, beating his time by 2 seconds. These are the AM times that i am talking about, and i got them from www.formula1.com
Old 17 Jan 2002, 15:11 (Ref:200148)   #11
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by M Power
P.S

tell us now...never was the most patient person.
Old 17 Jan 2002, 18:26 (Ref:200260)   #12
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hmm, don't get too excited: (from formula1.com)

A Minardi spokeswoman denied reports that Mark Webber has already signed to take the last remaining race seat in the Italian team for 2002.

Stefania Torelli told formula1.com: "Don't listen to any rumours on this subject as they are not true. It is pure speculation."

Webber is known to be one of the contenders for the drive with the team, and set the fastest time of any Minardi driver in Valencia this week, when he got his first chance at the wheel of the PS01B this morning.

The team has also given two other young drivers, Matteo Bobbi and Antonio Garcia, a chance in testing this week, and test driver Christijan Albers has been rumoured to be in the running as well.

Recently f3000 champion Justin Wilson revealed that he also was being considered for the drive, along with experienced contenders Heinz-Harald Frentzen and Jos Verstappen, whose futures revolve around Frentzen's choice of where to drive next season.

Minardi are to launch their title sponsor in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, this Sunday, but have not set a date as to when they will announce their official driver line-up.
Old 17 Jan 2002, 22:58 (Ref:200407)   #13
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mark's time was 2 and a half seconds faster than Albers, and nearly 2 seconds faster than any of Yoong's in the 2 full days he tested. This, at his first drive in that car and after not driving anything since just before the Japanese GP, is a pretty solid effort from my view. Expect him to go faster tomorrow. Let's go Mark!
Old 17 Jan 2002, 23:35 (Ref:200422)   #14
Mark F1
Racer

Mark F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's great to see an Aussie in F1 again after such a long time and the Formula One World Championship now truly lives up to it's name with drivers from all four corners of the globe, from Australia to Malaysia and Brazil to Japan which creates a more varied mix of driving talent.

The crowds at Albert Park have always been large, but with the arrival of Mark Webber, I wouldn't like to guess at how many fans will be there this year. I wouldn't be suprised if the attendance went up by 10% or more.
Old 18 Jan 2002, 00:10 (Ref:200436)   #15
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good news indeed, it'll be great to see an Australian on the grid in 2002 - go Mark, and Minardi of course!
Old 18 Jan 2002, 00:29 (Ref:200449)   #16
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
MALAYSIA INFLUENCE

First of all, I want to re-iterate: don't count your bridges before your chickens are crossed
Some guys are getting so excited that they didn't even check the other sites - Albers' time in formula1.com was an early time, and Autosport gave the full days time where Albers was only marginally slower than Mark Webber. We don't know how the weather conditions affected the Minardi on day 4 against the times achieved on the previous days, but I know Minardi is still a helluva long way behind the other teams.
But all this is not my main concern.
Of greater concern is the extent that the Malaysian Influence on Team Minardi. Now it is Team KL Minardi. Who is paying what to whom and for what - that is more important. It bothers me that the Minardi will have its Grand Opening this year in KL. It bothers me that considerable sums were paid to Paul Stoddart to put Alex Yoong on the grid last year when there were numerous more capable drivers doing testing work or just sitting on the side lines. Would the New Team "Partners" like to have Alex racing against HHF or Jos in the same team? or would they prefer a relatively "inexperienced unknown" (by F1 standards) hoping the new boy would not outshine their wonderkind? I know I sound like a sceptic, and MF is going to roast me for this, but these thoughts just came to mind.
Old 18 Jan 2002, 03:15 (Ref:200484)   #17
timbo2001
Racer

Valve bounce - Autosport.com said themselves in the article that Mark was 2.5 seconds faster than Albers!!!! read it yourself! and then in the times below, they make a stupid stuff up, not only with marks times, but with davidsons as well. Formula1.com DOES post the full days times, and i only gave the above stated earlier times as an indication to how well he was going. just thought i would clear up that i DON'T just rely on one site. i keep up to date with three - formula1.com, autosport.com, and also itv-f1.com
Old 18 Jan 2002, 04:17 (Ref:200495)   #18
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by timbo2001
Valve bounce - Autosport.com said themselves in the article that Mark was 2.5 seconds faster than Albers!!!! read it yourself! and then in the times below, they make a stupid stuff up, not only with marks times, but with davidsons as well. Formula1.com DOES post the full days times, and i only gave the above stated earlier times as an indication to how well he was going. just thought i would clear up that i DON'T just rely on one site. i keep up to date with three - formula1.com, autosport.com, and also itv-f1.com
YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT, AND I APOLOGISE FOR MY MISTAKE - HOWEVER, i DO NOT APOLOGISE THAT i AM STUPID - JUST A FACT. :confused: :confused: Sorry for caps - I was checking the market.
However, what about the rest of my post? maybe that should give you some thought as to what I am worried about. What do you think?
Old 18 Jan 2002, 04:40 (Ref:200498)   #19
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 18 Jan 2002, 06:34 (Ref:200505)   #20
timbo2001
Racer

Re: MALAYSIA INFLUENCE

Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce

Of greater concern is the extent that the Malaysian Influence on Team Minardi. Now it is Team KL Minardi. Who is paying what to whom and for what - that is more important. It bothers me that the Minardi will have its Grand Opening this year in KL. It bothers me that considerable sums were paid to Paul Stoddart to put Alex Yoong on the grid last year when there were numerous more capable drivers doing testing work or just sitting on the side lines. Would the New Team "Partners" like to have Alex racing against HHF or Jos in the same team? or would they prefer a relatively "inexperienced unknown" (by F1 standards) hoping the new boy would not outshine their wonderkind? I know I sound like a sceptic, and MF is going to roast me for this, but these thoughts just came to mind.

I'll be a happy man if they do decide to go for this "inexperienced unknown". and anyway, would HHF want to go to minardi? its not exactly a competitive team, and I don't think they are going to pay him, or Jos for that matter, that much money. If they have to resort to finding new "partners" for funding, then they aren't exactly going to be giving away TGF standard salaries are they? So bring on Mark!
Old 18 Jan 2002, 08:42 (Ref:200515)   #21
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi
Great news !!!!

I really hope it is true.
My feelings exactly!!!!!
Old 18 Jan 2002, 10:56 (Ref:200557)   #22
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good to see you Jonesy !

Time to see an aussie back in F1.

BTW...

Quote:

Originally posted by M Power

P.S

Is this a case of Dancing Machine ?????

Last edited by Bononi; 18 Jan 2002 at 10:58.
Old 18 Jan 2002, 11:46 (Ref:200580)   #23
Crash and Burn
Racer

Crash and Burn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not True

IT might well still happen, but it hasn't happened yet. The F1 whisper that Australian F3000 star Marc Webber has already signed for Minardi is simply not true, according to spokeswoman Stefania Torelli

"Don't listen to any rumours on this subject as they are not true. It is pure speculation," she is reported to have told F1.com yesterday,

Webber is certainly a leading contender for the Anglo-Italian team's second seat alongside the already confirmed Alex Yoong.

He is well liked and respected by Minardi team-boss Paul Stoddart, also an Australian, and the young driver's impressive performance in his first test drive for Minardi at Valencia yesterday, when he clocked the fastest lap time of any of the array of Minardi drivers who have been testing this week, can only have helped his chances.

But with Jos Verstappen still in the picture - the track-wise Dutch driver might well become available to Minardi if the Prost team gets the receiver's thumbs down - and current F3000 champion Justin Wilson also a contender, nothing yet, it seems, is cut and dried.

Matteo Bobbi, Antonio Garcia and Christijan Albers have also been named as potential Minardi signings and have all taken part in the Valencia tests, but none of them is considered as a serious contender for the Minardi job.

A good bet might be Verstappen or Webber
Old 19 Jan 2002, 04:36 (Ref:201029)   #24
M Power
Racer

M Power should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi
Good to see you Jonesy !

Time to see an aussie back in F1.

BTW...

Is this a case of Dancing Machine ?????

Huh!! Dancing Machine?

As for that Seat at ferrari I tell soon but not now! I just what to be sure first . But my soucre is fairly good he was right about mark!! As for mark did u see those time's WOW and on old tyres to
not to the lack of seating setup . I still see a Rookie of the year here . Minardi will presant a new sponsor in malayisa and it will be a Aussie sponsor so I told
Old 20 Jan 2002, 22:53 (Ref:201907)   #25
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Who's to say Mark wouldn't be quicker than Verstappen? I wouldn't mind having a few quid on Mark in that particular shootout.