Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Jun 2005, 03:54 (Ref:1326977)   #1
stoned pony
Veteran

Vanuatu
Chained to my desk
stoned pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tony Cochrane is an idiot

The AVESCO boss has finally admitted it, if today's report from AAP's Todd Balym (who?) is correct.
TC is quoted as saying: "It is one thing to have a raving idiot like me say we can do it and it is another thing to convince 600 other people to do it with me."
Mr Balym also suggests in his story that: "the event (the Chinese meeting) ran almost without incident."
Sorry, Todd, but I must have been watcxhing another V8 Supercar round that was on in China at the same time.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 04:56 (Ref:1327006)   #2
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When will we know if they have made it out of the country
Old 13 Jun 2005, 05:41 (Ref:1327029)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoned pony
Mr Balym also suggests in his story that: "the event (the Chinese meeting) ran almost without incident."
Sorry, Todd, but I must have been watcxhing another V8 Supercar round that was on in China at the same time.
Im not sure what you mean by that ?

to me it seemd that everything ran very smoothly and seemed to go off very well.

of course I only saw the TV side of things but it seemed to me that there were no real problems with running this event.

care to explain what problems there may have been ?
Old 13 Jun 2005, 06:18 (Ref:1327043)   #4
stoned pony
Veteran

Vanuatu
Chained to my desk
How about the grating that almost destroyed Winterbottom's car, the Skaife/Ingall get-together, numerous spins, Ambrose leaving the pits when he shouldn't have.
The meeting was not without its moments.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 06:44 (Ref:1327046)   #5
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Belly13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Tony Cochrane has done wonders for the sport. Before he took over, the category looked as though it was going to follow the majority of other Australian motorsport categories and become extinct.
Now he has taken it to all 4 corners of Australia, set-up a successful second-tier series and taken it overseas - successfully.
Those of you who don't support Tony's ideas and philosophies should remember what it has become compared to what it could've been.
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 13 Jun 2005, 07:22 (Ref:1327059)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoned pony
How about the grating that almost destroyed Winterbottom's car, the Skaife/Ingall get-together, numerous spins, Ambrose leaving the pits when he shouldn't have.
The meeting was not without its moments.

ahhhh yes but was this the original context of what was meant ?

my reading of it (and its just my reading) is the organization of the event went without a hitch that doesnt include on track stuff which is inevitable during a motorsport event.

the only problem I saw was the winterbottom grate thing , that was a problem and they seemed to fix it with a crudely placed stack of tires.

I could be wrong but I read it as there were no organiszational problems for the event

could be wrong though
Old 13 Jun 2005, 07:36 (Ref:1327071)   #7
monaroCountry
Racer

monaroCountry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a race with clashes and bumps?.....no no no its the end of the world.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 07:40 (Ref:1327073)   #8
Rowdy
Racer

Australia
The Shire
Rowdy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thought I would just check the forums to see how long it took for people to knock something from the event. Here we have half an attempt as it does not seem to backed up by anything significant.

Larko, We miss you.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 07:44 (Ref:1327076)   #9
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think TC is the marvel that saved the Touring Car Championship so much, it's that CAMS didn't have anyone with enough intelligence to do it. Promotion is not rocket science to anyone with half a brain.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 08:29 (Ref:1327110)   #10
monaroCountry
Racer

monaroCountry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I don't think TC is the marvel that saved the Touring Car Championship so much, it's that CAMS didn't have anyone with enough intelligence to do it. Promotion is not rocket science to anyone with half a brain.
If only that were true, id be a multi millionare.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 08:56 (Ref:1327142)   #11
Placebo
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Placebo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In his speech that was telecast just prior to Race 3 (before we thankfully lost transmission until the start of the race) TC said this was the V8SCS first overseas race. I hope the kiwis watching weren't offended.
I know NZ is like part of OZ - but it is overseas.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 09:11 (Ref:1327154)   #12
hml2777
Racer

Cuba
Guantanamo Bay
hml2777 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WHAT THE?????

What was going on in the background of one interview in Pit Lane, that Cochrane was cuddling Skaife, did anyone else see it, arm around the shoulders, head on Skaife's shoulder, are they in love or what?

Then in a later interview, here was Cochrane AGAIN, this time cuddling Todd Kelly!

Is there a thing going on between Cochrane and HRT?
Old 13 Jun 2005, 09:33 (Ref:1327164)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus
I could be wrong but I read it as there were no organiszational problems for the event
Bill Gibson & his crew at Gibson Freight are a great group to work with.. a gig or two ago, they were responsible for airfreighting/seafreighting various chemicals from around the world into Sydney and Melbourne for the company I worked for... rarely a problem, always open communication and planning...

The way a business should be
Old 13 Jun 2005, 09:47 (Ref:1327181)   #14
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrcon King
Thought I would just check the forums to see how long it took for people to knock something from the event. Here we have half an attempt as it does not seem to backed up by anything significant.
What about the inability to take the pace car to China, the potential problem about the fuel ( What actually happened with that worry), change in promoters.

Oh yeah and their first attempt in 2004 failing.

While not all happening over the last 3 days they are problems that are tied to the event.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 10:23 (Ref:1327205)   #15
bahodie
Racer

Australia
Dreamworld
bahodie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Come on DRT, we aren't supposed to mention those things, our job as fans is to sit at the track (next to our ten imaginary friends that we can't see, yet AVESCO count) and accept blindly what we are told in the officially sanctioned press releases. It was a success. And just when you feel like raining on the parade, just remember remember V8 supercars, F1 and MotoGP are the only international motorsport series out there
Old 13 Jun 2005, 12:09 (Ref:1327263)   #16
fordo
Racer

fordo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While still not convinced they should have gone there, they did and as a spectacle I don't see why a few are complaining.
They raced , they crashed, they bashed, Ambrose tried to take out Skaife, Skaife paid back Ingall, Murphy proved Kiwis can't fly, and WPS ran into everyone in sight - it could have happened on any circuit in Aus or NZ but didn't and I think that is the biggest beef people have with it.
Nobody can say with 100% conviction that the grate incident would not/could not have happened here.
Thats like saying that it would be impossible for Longhurst to smack his head on the concrete wall in Wellington,NZ while still sitting in his BMW. I am sure he would disagree!
Old 13 Jun 2005, 13:27 (Ref:1327309)   #17
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would Frosty have run over a grate at Winton?
Old 13 Jun 2005, 13:36 (Ref:1327317)   #18
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belly13
I think Tony Cochrane has done wonders for the sport. Before he took over, the category looked as though it was going to follow the majority of other Australian motorsport categories and become extinct.
Now he has taken it to all 4 corners of Australia, set-up a successful second-tier series and taken it overseas - successfully.
Those of you who don't support Tony's ideas and philosophies should remember what it has become compared to what it could've been.
Mate what you bin sniffin'?

Touring car racing survived the 1980 season. Compared to that 1996 was a blockbusting record breaker.

1996 was most certainly not Australian Motor Racing's darkest hour, and anyone who thinks so has a memory that is only ten years long.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 20:34 (Ref:1327683)   #19
Chronicle
Racer

Chronicle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belly13
...set-up a successful second-tier series and taken it overseas - successfully.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 22:13 (Ref:1327787)   #20
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Evomike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For all you knockers, now is your chance. You have said that there are people involved in this sport who are doing a shyte job, you have ideas about how things should be and how successful it would be if they where done your way, why don't you get off your asses and start your own class then? .....Oh sorry forgot you actually don't have the balls or the intelligence to do it. Grow up, if it was not a spectacle and it is not successful why did you watch it? Hmmm cause secretly, deep down you know its good. I see the numbers, I know what $$$ are out there, TC, Like him or loathe him, has played a part in the increased success of this category. How do I know this? I am sure you all know by now how.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 23:31 (Ref:1327839)   #21
Spunky
Racer

Spunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Baylm must not of read the interview with Cattach only a couple of weeks ago, where Cattach listed only a handful of the problems that occured with the run up to this meeting. I spoke to people that were over there on the weekend, not sure why or what but they were having a difficult time with some things. I am sure I will find out when it is cheaper to talk.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 23:49 (Ref:1327846)   #22
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Who cares about what happened twelve months ago, twelve weeks ago or twelve days ago!?

I can tell you from personal experience that NO event goes off without a single hitch. There are all sorts of dramas going on in the background - as a stack of people run around like maniacs behind the scenes to ensure every drama is dealt with quickly and efficiently.

The paying public is usually none the wiser.

I think AVESCO did a fine job with the whole exercise.

Some people in here wouldn't be happy if Father Christmas appeared in their fireplace tonight and presented them with half a dozen skimpily-clad supermodels to feed them grapes and fan their butt with big peacock feathers.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 00:32 (Ref:1327857)   #23
stoned pony
Veteran

Vanuatu
Chained to my desk
Geez, Mac, I like your Father Christmas coz he's a whole lot better than mine! Can you send him and his playmates around this weekend? Pretty please.
BTW, my original thread starter about TC confessing to being an idiot was a tongue-in-cheek exercise.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 01:19 (Ref:1327881)   #24
hml2777
Racer

Cuba
Guantanamo Bay
hml2777 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Some people in here wouldn't be happy if Father Christmas appeared in their fireplace tonight and presented them with half a dozen skimpily-clad supermodels to feed them grapes and fan their butt with big peacock feathers.
Geez mac, I am sorry to say, but you are a long way off the mark with that comment. I would be real happy.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 02:13 (Ref:1327910)   #25
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete55
Based on this philosophy, why had no one else stepped up to the plate and established a promotions company for the series then??

There are apparently many marketing types in Australia that would be suitably qualified, maybe even yourself.

But then, none of them did, and we have what we have and what we have is pretty damn good!