Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 14 Aug 2009, 23:59 (Ref:2521634)   #1
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Petit Le Mans - who's crossing the pond?

I would like to officially start the discussion on who may "visit" the ALMS for the last 2 races. So far we have:
Peugeot - 2 cars
Oreca - at least 1 car
Drayson - previously announced Vantage GT2 but has since bought an LMP1 Lola coupe
Audi - worst kept secret (or hope) in racing
ECO - doubtful
Lola Aston LMP1 -1,2,3? 0?

Please feel free to add any facts or rumours you hear. The comments in another thread about Neel Jani could add Speedy Sebah speculation.
Old 15 Aug 2009, 00:48 (Ref:2521639)   #2
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
cbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Team ORECA announced that they have a 2 car entry for Petit Le Mans; don't know anything about Laguna Seca!
Aston Martin Racing announced that they are going to Japan instead with a single entry. This was in last week's AUTOSPORT. So neither race!
I heard about Drayson's coupe from a friend who may have read it here. Does it have an Aston Matin engine? If so, is it brand new or an ex-works car?
Old 15 Aug 2009, 00:52 (Ref:2521640)   #3
nasdriv87
Veteran

Brazil
Brazil
nasdriv87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
I would like to officially start the discussion on who may "visit" the ALMS for the last 2 races. So far we have:
Peugeot - 2 cars
Oreca - at least 1 car
Drayson - previously announced Vantage GT2 but has since bought an LMP1 Lola coupe
Audi - worst kept secret (or hope) in racing
ECO - doubtful
Lola Aston LMP1 -1,2,3? 0?

Please feel free to add any facts or rumours you hear. The comments in another thread about Neel Jani could add Speedy Sebah speculation.
sorry, but none of Astons LMP1 are going to PLM, cuz they will stay on LMS...
Old 15 Aug 2009, 01:04 (Ref:2521647)   #4
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasdriv87 View Post
yeah....and that's too bad.
Old 15 Aug 2009, 01:06 (Ref:2521648)   #5
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oreca has not said whether it will be at Petit with 1 or 2 cars.
Drayson Racing has confirmed it will be there, one of their two Vantages is (afaik) already in the US again.
Old 15 Aug 2009, 01:07 (Ref:2521649)   #6
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
yeah....and that's too bad.
It's not :-)

You guys can start complaining the moment the ALMS teams come over for some LMS rounds.
Old 15 Aug 2009, 01:09 (Ref:2521650)   #7
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
cbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The last LMS race is 2 weeks before Petit Le Mans, so for Aston Martin Racing there are no more races until Japan at the end of October. They could quite easily come over if they have the budget; I would think that they would learn a lot more from a 10 hour race against Peugeot, Acura et al instead of 2 3-hour races in Japan. They must have a good reason to boycott this one.
Old 15 Aug 2009, 01:11 (Ref:2521651)   #8
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the Blue JMB Ferrari will be back for the last 2 races again. Same with the Pecom-Advanced Engineering Ferrari too.
Old 15 Aug 2009, 01:13 (Ref:2521652)   #9
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbrit View Post
The last LMS race is 2 weeks before Petit Le Mans, so for Aston Martin Racing there are no more races until Japan at the end of October. They could quite easily come over if they have the budget; I would think that they would learn a lot more from a 10 hour race against Peugeot, Acura et al instead of 2 3-hour races in Japan. They must have a good reason to boycott this one.
They have reason. Good? I doubt it. They probably can not get the ALMS to agree to change the rules for them!!

L.P.
Old 15 Aug 2009, 01:16 (Ref:2521655)   #10
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
That's news to me. Got a link?
Old 15 Aug 2009, 01:24 (Ref:2521657)   #11
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
That's news to me. Got a link?
It has been mentioned around here and it was also mentioned by Hindy on RLM today during the testing session. I believe he said there would be a follow up on DSC soon.

L.P.
Old 15 Aug 2009, 01:27 (Ref:2521658)   #12
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
I heard about Drayson's coupe from a friend who may have read it here. Does it have an Aston Matin engine? If so, is it brand new or an ex-works car?
The engine mentioned (around here) was not an AM. If you look to Ursus, I believe you will find what you are seeking. But I do not believe it will be crossing the pond, yet.

L.P.
Old 15 Aug 2009, 01:49 (Ref:2521667)   #13
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Nope ..... Its a Judd in the back of it .
Old 15 Aug 2009, 02:10 (Ref:2521671)   #14
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
It's not :-)

You guys can start complaining the moment the ALMS teams come over for some LMS rounds.
there needs to be a reason to go to europe for any other reason than Le Mans, first...
and PLM is not your "normal" round.
Old 15 Aug 2009, 03:56 (Ref:2521679)   #15
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
I fear the anger of the full-time ALMS teams when European teams come over and take 1st or 2nd in class at Petit and as a result get an automatic Le Mans entry. ;-)
Old 15 Aug 2009, 04:41 (Ref:2521681)   #16
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
I fear the anger of the full-time ALMS teams when European teams come over and take 1st or 2nd in class at Petit and as a result get an automatic Le Mans entry. ;-)

Quit trolling!!

L.P.
Old 15 Aug 2009, 10:25 (Ref:2521777)   #17
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Are the Acura prototypes in accordance with ACO? I never know with these ALMS LMP cars.
Old 15 Aug 2009, 11:03 (Ref:2521793)   #18
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
Subaru_WRX_STi has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_N_09 View Post
I think the Blue JMB Ferrari will be back for the last 2 races again. Same with the Pecom-Advanced Engineering Ferrari too.
I really hope that Advanced Engineering could came, no clash with FIA GT, so its up to Luis Companc to pay the trip for the AF Corse guys, as at Sebring
Old 15 Aug 2009, 13:26 (Ref:2521853)   #19
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Quit trolling!!

L.P.
Second.

Chris
Old 15 Aug 2009, 13:30 (Ref:2521856)   #20
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
Second.

Chris
He may well be trolling, but the fact is he may well be right too...
Old 15 Aug 2009, 13:39 (Ref:2521860)   #21
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
what are the chances Pescarolo will ever come?

Quote:
i can recall one Euro team that came a few years ago and didn't make it thru turn 1. others who've come haven't faired much better.
Old 15 Aug 2009, 13:43 (Ref:2521861)   #22
Lola T70
Racer

Lola T70 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which teams would want to go to Le Mans from ALMS next year that are in LMP1 & 2 and be effected by this.
Old 15 Aug 2009, 14:14 (Ref:2521869)   #23
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Potentially Highcroft Racing. They will remain in ALMS next year, the ultimate goal being a win in the 24h. Will a Peugeot or Audi ruin their chances at Le Mans? Maybe this year, as I don't think the Acura could podium if facing four of those cars. However if two Peugeots came over along with Oreca, Aston etc. I don't think Oreca and Aston have enough to beat the Acura, simply because the Acura is the better car for U.S. circuits. In that case, Highcroft would get their auto-invite and it would be a matter of finding a car to take to Le Mans next year, regardless of Acura's plans. But of course, the championship victory (and second place unless my mind fails me) also earns them an auto-invite. Yeah, Oreca and Aston will probably put the kibosh on Autocon and Intersport's chances at an auto-invite, and that is unforunate because they have been loyal. But the number of U.S. teams that have been to Le Mans in the past decade warrants European teams coming to Petit - if you use the twisted logic of an equal balance of event attending between U.S. teams in Europe and LMS teams in the ALMS. I however, do not subscribe to that theory. Of all the LMS events, only Monza (when it is on the calendar) Spa and (maybe) Silverstone have the potential to draw entries from the U.S. IMO. Tilke's Nurburgring, as well as Algarve, Barcelona or whatever combination of the other LMS rounds are about as attractive to American teams as St. Petersburg is to European teams. Unfortunately scheduling conflicts and a lack of incentive to compete in those historic events keeps teams away.

Chris
Old 15 Aug 2009, 14:39 (Ref:2521878)   #24
Panoz Max
Rookie

Panoz Max should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasdriv87 View Post
No Factory team but has there been any more talk of Sebah/Speedy Racing possibly coming over?
Old 15 Aug 2009, 17:58 (Ref:2521955)   #25
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
In the past nine years that's been done twice... by Prodrive. Who do you really want to see from the ALMS anyway? Autocon?