Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Dec 2003, 03:19 (Ref:803322)   #1
Hybrid
Racer

Hybrid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mg V Lotus

This is one I'm looking forward to.
Mopro have replaced there MG's with Lotus for next years series. I reckon there a hot looking car.
I wonder where all the second hand MG's go
Old 4 Dec 2003, 07:06 (Ref:803424)   #2
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Converted back to evil handling road cars?

It'll be interesting to see if they work out to be better race cars than the MGs
Old 4 Dec 2003, 07:31 (Ref:803433)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why replace one irrelevant shytbox with another irrelevant shytbox? Seriously.... how many people are in the target market to buy a Lotus?

Renault Clio Cup is the way to go!
Old 4 Dec 2003, 08:06 (Ref:803445)   #4
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Lotus is a far better car then the MG & the racing should be faster too. I don't think it will help sales of the Lotus apart from however many are racing but should be a good source of income supplying replacment panels.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 08:11 (Ref:803452)   #5
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My only problem with the Lotus is that I can't afford one. Everything else is absolutely bluddy spot on (which is saying something for a pommy jigger).

The MG's will probably end up in club racing and sprints, serving their natural purpose in the grand scheme of things - giving the Alfa's another mobile chicane to lap

Can't agree with GTR Magic - I'd prefer to see a field of Loti going at it than another bunch of shoeboxes.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 08:13 (Ref:803453)   #6
V8 Superdave
Racer

V8 Superdave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not maybe MR-2's.... they look ok, and aren't the worst car in the world.... also a tad more affordable than a Lotus, nice a car as it is. Perhaps a little more relevant to the audience?
Old 4 Dec 2003, 08:16 (Ref:803456)   #7
GTV27
Veteran

Yeah Superdave, I'd play MR-2's if the Lotus wasn't workable, but I'd prefer the Lotus.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 08:24 (Ref:803465)   #8
jas105
Rookie

jas105 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The MGs weren't that bad to watch, a little slow perhaps but they are not everybodys cup of tea, but they did put on good racing, they aren't afraid to go into corners 3 wide with the foot flat to the floor. The lotus will be faster and you will get the same style of racing. They don't look to bad either. Interesting to see how many of the Lotus end up on their roof.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 08:58 (Ref:803489)   #9
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think we have enough one make series now; well i'll rephrase that, i think we have miles too many one make series's. About time we got rid of at least 3/4 of them in my opinion.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 09:00 (Ref:803490)   #10
vortexo
Veteran

vortexo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought there was a fair waiting list to by one Lotus Elise.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 09:21 (Ref:803499)   #11
V8 Superdave
Racer

V8 Superdave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe this is why.... but by this time next year, there'll be a heap of used ones going cheap.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 12:43 (Ref:803638)   #12
Hybrid
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by vortexo
I thought there was a fair waiting list to by one Lotus Elise.
Maybe when you put in an order for thirty or so they give you preference. I hope it goes well, I have heard that it cost around 2.8 million to put in place.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 13:10 (Ref:803676)   #13
prn 31
Racer

prn 31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Well, once Paul Pickett submits his CMA (Category Management Agreement) with AVESCO and pays their not inconsiderable sanctioning fee, you will see the Lotus Elises running with the V8Supercars.

The MGs and Daewoos will still exist further down the MoPro food chain most probably in the tour that I can't talk about ...

Now I know that GTR is still on keen on seeing Renault Clio Cup, but I believe that Croaky Crichton is still trying to talk Pickett in picking up those salt-water infested Alfa 147 GTAs to run in a one make series. I was told there were up to 40 of these critters looking for a home (and yes, this is the same circumstance from which the 156 GTAs that raced at Bathurst came from.)
Old 4 Dec 2003, 21:46 (Ref:804127)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I am keen on a product that would be supported properly by a manufacturer as a series using cars which have relevance to the local market, and has a car maker/importer who will put dollars behind the program.

Somehow I cant see Lotus spending a few million a year in advertising to keep the series at front of mind, yet Renault (nee Nissan) here seems to be on most late night news breaks....

This is the bit we keep forgetting... MG as a car importer is a relative irrelevance, so is Lotus... but whether its Renault, Nissan, Ford, Toyota etc etc, they are here to stay, and arent averse to getting behind their product.

An opportunity lost perhaps??

And I pity anyone who is in teh market for an MG right about now....
Old 4 Dec 2003, 23:02 (Ref:804215)   #15
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GTRMagic Wrote
Why replace one irrelevant shytbox with another irrelevant shytbox? Seriously.... how many people are in the target market to buy a Lotus?

Obviously you have never driven a Elise. Can hardly say they are a shytbox....who cares about the target audience...it is not like you can go to your local Ford or Holden dealer and ask for a V8 Supercar is it.

Get back to a more regular car like standard body kits ie XR8 & SS
Old 4 Dec 2003, 23:10 (Ref:804219)   #16
Hybrid
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
I am keen on a product that would be supported properly by a manufacturer as a series using cars which have relevance to the local market, and has a car maker/importer who will put dollars behind the program.

Somehow I cant see Lotus spending a few million a year in advertising to keep the series at front of mind, yet Renault (nee Nissan) here seems to be on most late night news breaks....

This is the bit we keep forgetting... MG as a car importer is a relative irrelevance, so is Lotus... but whether its Renault, Nissan, Ford, Toyota etc etc, they are here to stay, and arent averse to getting behind their product.

An opportunity lost perhaps??

And I pity anyone who is in teh market for an MG right about now....

Good point. But how much money are they spinning Mopro to carry these categories. Imho probably not much. I think Mopro are running to make a profit from the racers ect rather than looking at boosting sales for who ever's make they use.
Maybe we need to see a series run by the car manufacturers themselves - like a promo series. It would have to make for very good racing.
Old 5 Dec 2003, 00:15 (Ref:804265)   #17
prn 31
Racer

prn 31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Hybrid
Good point. But how much money are they spinning Mopro to carry these categories. Imho probably not much. I think Mopro are running to make a profit from the racers ect rather than looking at boosting sales for who ever's make they use.
Maybe we need to see a series run by the car manufacturers themselves - like a promo series. It would have to make for very good racing.
Hybrid, you are on the money. If a manufacturer was bankrolling this series they would want plenty of PR bang for you bucks - name drivers or celebrities. Carrera Cup comes close, no celebrities but a few name drivers who have been given a helping hand.

The MG and Lotus is entirely different. Its very much "user pays" with a combination of genetleman racers letting their hair down and Johhny Wannabes looking for the next step in seeking a professional career.

MoPro might be getting a good deal in acquiring the Lotii, but they have to pay through the nose to get on the AVESCO bill and that cost has to be passed onto the competitor. Like any company MoPro is out to make a profit.
Old 5 Dec 2003, 00:39 (Ref:804277)   #18
GTV27
Veteran

PRN 31 Could you elaborate on the story behind the "salt water infested" 147 and 156 GTA's? (happy to get a PM if its not "Forum-able")
Old 5 Dec 2003, 00:49 (Ref:804282)   #19
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Lotus is a fine car But I'd take a Cileo V6 sport anyday
Old 5 Dec 2003, 01:07 (Ref:804293)   #20
GTV27
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Webber
Lotus is a fine car But I'd take a Cileo V6 sport anyday
Sorry, I thought the reference was to the front driver, not the mid-engined V6. That certainly would be better, but I would still favour the Lotus for its chassis.
Old 5 Dec 2003, 10:42 (Ref:804576)   #21
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It doesnt matter what the mopro series uses for their choice of cars, as the racing will almost always be boring as there is a great mix of drivers from the experienced to the nevils to the wanabees.
There is no way i would be parting with my money to compete in one of those series.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 5 Dec 2003, 10:44 (Ref:804580)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Me either, unless I could bring someone I knew and trusted to make sure the vehicle I got to drive was both safe, and in a raceworthy condition.

The Wakefield 500 experience with the Daewoos should teach us something surely?
Old 5 Dec 2003, 10:50 (Ref:804582)   #23
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I want my prizemoney! At least hand it to Mr Pickett, he is smarter than his clients, at least on that occasion!
Old 5 Dec 2003, 10:57 (Ref:804586)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Smarter than his suppliers as well I am told
Old 5 Dec 2003, 10:58 (Ref:804589)   #25
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Gotta ask- why would people keep going back for more of that??