Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 16 Nov 2003, 08:07 (Ref:784830)   #1
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lowdnes in at Lamborghini ???

A story circulating at the Procar forums suggested the possibility of Lowdnes joining the TLA/MCR Diablo as their fourth driver via his link with the Auto Barn brand which would sponsor the car. Could this happen ?, I hope so.
Old 16 Nov 2003, 08:19 (Ref:784837)   #2
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That would add a bit more interest to the event. Would be good to see too. I think there might be a few more name drivers to enter the race yet.
Old 16 Nov 2003, 08:24 (Ref:784841)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would have said Brad Jones would be a closer fit, with the VW-Audi-Lambo ties....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 16 Nov 2003, 08:49 (Ref:784860)   #4
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Especially considering he pulled out of the BMW drive
Old 16 Nov 2003, 08:56 (Ref:784863)   #5
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It wouldn't suprise me if more V8 drivers tried to line up seats in the next few days.
Old 16 Nov 2003, 08:56 (Ref:784864)   #6
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is "Mr Magic" speaking with his head? One would assume it wasn't with his heart!
Old 16 Nov 2003, 09:04 (Ref:784874)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would actually like to see Glenn Seton or someone else who can contribute positively to chassis setup in there, but the logical fit (therefore using some grey matter) is Mr Jones because of past associations with the sister companies.

Interestingly the tease on the PROCAR site intimated that Mr Lowndes was contingent on the Autobarn money, so perhaps a moneyed bystander could end up in the gig....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 16 Nov 2003, 09:07 (Ref:784878)   #8
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who has replaced Brad Jones in the BMW?

Last edited by jetsetter; 16 Nov 2003 at 09:07.
Old 16 Nov 2003, 09:10 (Ref:784880)   #9
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Neil Crompton
Old 17 Nov 2003, 00:46 (Ref:785317)   #10
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Would Ford let their golden boy race for another brand?
Old 17 Nov 2003, 02:09 (Ref:785352)   #11
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt they'd worry, hardly like Lambo competes with Ford in the marketplace.
Old 17 Nov 2003, 02:11 (Ref:785354)   #12
Driver
Racer

Australia
Bundaberg, Queensland
Driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But wasn't one of the reasons he left HRT is that Ford would let him chase other drives if they became available?
Old 17 Nov 2003, 03:11 (Ref:785379)   #13
Dave HRT Moy
Racer

Dave HRT Moy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Driver
But wasn't one of the reasons he left HRT is that Ford would let him chase other drives if they became available?
HRT or more specifically TWR who Lowndes had his management agreement with, never specifically said that Lowndes couldn't take any other drives.

This all centred around TWR not giving permission for Craig to participate in the new years 24 hour street race.

TWR's version of events is that they were never approached to give him a release to drive (fairly standard business practice one would assume, seeing as how Craig was legally under contract to TWR at the time) until literally the last minute.

When they approached Craig's representatives to discuss the matter, they did'nt want to sit down with TWR and negotiate the issue, therefore TWR didn't give their permission for him to drive.

Now this may or may not be exactly what happened, but Craig (or his representatives) have never actually seen fit to sit down and tell his side of the story.

So all we have is TWR's side and a heap of speculation.

I think the very large cheques that Craig receives are a far greater reason for his departure to Ford than being allowed to compete in other events.....
Old 17 Nov 2003, 03:19 (Ref:785382)   #14
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But that is just the reality of life,people jumping ship for a buck.
Look at one prominent driver who was given an established and very succesful team to run and foster virtually as his own only to make a complete dogs breakfast of it,allienate staff,fail to secure backing and turn his back on the whole team ownership thing stating that you cn't drive and manage effectively in this day and age,only to now have got another established and succesful team to run and foster as his own.

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 17 Nov 2003, 03:27 (Ref:785385)   #15
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Onlooker
Look at one prominent driver who was given an established and very succesful team to run and foster virtually as his own only to make a complete dogs breakfast of it,allienate staff,fail to secure backing and turn his back on the whole team ownership thing stating that you cn't drive and manage effectively in this day and age,only to now have got another established and succesful team to run and foster as his own.
hmm, subtle, but I think I nose who you mean
Old 17 Nov 2003, 03:28 (Ref:785387)   #16
Dave HRT Moy
Racer

Quote:
Who might that be onlooker.

You've got me guessing.....
Old 17 Nov 2003, 03:52 (Ref:785391)   #17
Onlooker
Veteran

Should I have said
"set up $2 shelf company as front for succesful team that is unable to disclose it's ownership"
would that help you out???Would that have been a better clue??

No just joking they are still staying in touch with the
K Mart guys and are infact a real chance to catch and beat Todd's parents,in there first crack at owning a team and running it.At least thay have shown old Weels'y a clean set of heals and wont be the 3rd placed HMS team at the end of the year.Who would have thought that a couple of people from Mildura could turn around the flagging fortunes of a team in such short notice and remain true to there bussines plan and not syphon information off to help there son face the embarrasment of being what is probally the worst performing HRT driver since Mezera,eclipsing Murf in 97 as the one to do least with the most.
Old 17 Nov 2003, 04:13 (Ref:785404)   #18
Dave HRT Moy
Racer

Quote:
Should I have said
"set up $2 shelf company as front for succesful team that is unable to disclose it's ownership"
would that help you out???Would that have been a better clue??

No just joking they are still staying in touch with the
K Mart guys and are infact a real chance to catch and beat Todd's parents,in there first crack at owning a team and running it.At least thay have shown old Weels'y a clean set of heals and wont be the 3rd placed HMS team at the end of the year.Who would have thought that a couple of people from Mildura could turn around the flagging fortunes of a team in such short notice and remain true to there bussines plan and not syphon information off to help there son face the embarrasment of being what is probally the worst performing HRT driver since Mezera,eclipsing Murf in 97 as the one to do least with the most.
Oohhh, the bitterness is strong with this one......

By the way, Murph's (largely not his own fault) average results in 97' was a far better effort than the vast majority of Ford teams have managed since....

The ownership of K Mart is old news champ. TEGA has the right to decline potential franchisees if they wish.

They scrutinized the Kelly's and they passed with flying colours.

John is a succesful buisnessman in his own right and I don't recall seeing a rule that says that you have to be associatted with the sport for 20 years before you are "eligible" to own a team.

And as for Todd's results, he's in the top ten in the championship and has sat on pole, with several podium finishes to his credit, as well as the shared Sandown 500 victory.

More than can be said for quite a few blue oval boys with far more experience and more famous fathers than Toddler...

Last edited by Dave HRT Moy; 17 Nov 2003 at 04:14.
Old 17 Nov 2003, 04:19 (Ref:785408)   #19
barra
Racer

barra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't know Ambrose or Ingall had famous fathers!!!
Cause they seem to be doing fairly well this year!!!
Old 17 Nov 2003, 04:40 (Ref:785419)   #20
Onlooker
Veteran

Would you like to explain to everyone what and who was at fault in the unfortunate year of the Murf(97) and perhaps the reason for the unreliability of both cars,perhaps with a brief overview of the types of problems that besieged the team, and how they fixed them for next year.Were the problems all contained to one area and was there a common cause to this unfortunate spate of failures
I never said that Todd parents couldn't own the team infact they have made a great job of it and have the best performing 2 car team that Holdens badge adorns.Maybe not the best 2 car team but the best Holden has to offer at the moment and won Bathurst at their first attempt.

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 17 Nov 2003, 04:48 (Ref:785426)   #21
Dave HRT Moy
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by barra
I didn't know Ambrose or Ingall had famous fathers!!!
Cause they seem to be doing fairly well this year!!!
Don't know about Ingall, But Marcos' dad was one of the owners of Van Demon racing cars. I'd count that as at least very well known within the industry.

Maybe you should read up a little on your own Ford heroes.....
Old 17 Nov 2003, 05:10 (Ref:785438)   #22
Dave HRT Moy
Racer

Quote:
Would you like to explain to everyone what and who was at fault in the unfortunate year of the Murf(97) and perhaps the reason for the unreliability of both cars,perhaps with a brief overview of the types of problems that besieged the team, and how they fixed them for next year.Were the problems all contained to one area and was there a common cause to this unfortunate spate of failures
I never said that Todd parents couldn't own the team infact they have made a great job of it and have the best performing 2 car team that Holdens badge adorns.Maybe not the best 2 car team but the best Holden has to offer at the moment and won Bathurst at their first attempt.
Check my posts Onlooker, I never accused you of saying anything negative about the Kellys. I just outlined part of the team purchasing process.

As for Murph and HRT in 97'. It's all in the HRT book, there's no great secret.

The team was trying to maintain their advantage and experimented with lightweight drivetrain components (amongst other things) and that contributed to a number of driveline failures, to both Murphy and Brock's cars, but Murph probably had the worst luck of the two.

The common cause for these failures was HRT trying to improve and stay ahead of the pack.

I'd suggest that the net result of much of the hard work in 97' (and subsequent years) was the fact that they've won every touring car title since.

Not a bad consolation for one ordinary season.

A consolation unfortunately that Ford and it's teams do not have the luxury of to date....
Old 17 Nov 2003, 05:20 (Ref:785443)   #23
Onlooker
Veteran

Oh Ok I thought you were going to draw a conection with TEGA monitoring brake pressure,my mistake.I must say I havn't thought to read the book find out the inside story

Old 17 Nov 2003, 05:30 (Ref:785448)   #24
Dave HRT Moy
Racer

Quote:
Oh Ok I thought you were going to draw a conection with TEGA monitoring brake pressure,my mistake.I must say I havn't thought to read the book find out the inside story
Funny Onlooker, I can't recall TEGA even being around in 97?

Anyway, please direct me to where I will find all of this information on HRT's brake pressure being monitored by them.

I'd be interested to read all about it.

Seems to have somehow slipped past me for the last 6 years ! ! !
Old 17 Nov 2003, 05:34 (Ref:785451)   #25
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sh#t, I'm lost. This is too deep.