Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 4 May 2009, 18:54 (Ref:2455371)   #1
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Any recommendations for a helmet for instructing?

I was wondering what type and brand helmet other instructors use for in car work?

Currently I use an old Bell M2 that has chin protection and a visor I flip up. It's getting on a bit and wanted to replace it with a new helmet. I'd like to have some chin protection with a chin bar but wanted something more open in the front.

Any suggestions on what to buy?
Old 5 May 2009, 07:40 (Ref:2455633)   #2
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Open face Arai,it save's having to shout all of the time.Nice and light compared to the Bell.
Old 5 May 2009, 09:02 (Ref:2455688)   #3
pete21
Rookie

United Kingdom
Claverley Shropshre
pete21 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally i use a Bell open face MAG but this has no chin protection, I think the best helmet that would suit your requirements would be the one made by Stillo it's the one with the permenent/fixed microhone for the intercom system due to this it does make it a little more expensive.
My advice would be get a helmet that is a good fit & very comfortable if your like me you will be wearing it for long periods & regular, personally i think whilst instructing you are better to wear an open face helmet as your client/customer can hear your comands better.
Old 5 May 2009, 20:25 (Ref:2456084)   #4
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I saw the Stilo online and did like it but it had ear protection for the mic so I'd have to look at that one in person.

Part of the problem with much of the work I do is we hit other cars on the track with the odd rollover or impact with the barriers. That's why I was worried about the chin protection.

I've heard about the Arai's so I'll have to take a look at them. Some of our days are 15 hours so comfort is important.
Old 5 May 2009, 20:47 (Ref:2456098)   #5
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry,I must have mis-read what you said,I thought you said "hit other cars and roll over".I must have been mistaken though.
Old 5 May 2009, 22:33 (Ref:2456141)   #6
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Sorry,I must have mis-read what you said,I thought you said "hit other cars and roll over".I must have been mistaken though.
Not joking. A part of the curriculum is Precision Immobilization Techniques and ramming roadblocks. We keep the speeds at 25mph for PITs but there is the odd roll over or head in impacts into the barriers. Usually we total a few cars every class.
Old 15 May 2009, 08:48 (Ref:2462808)   #7
Jen-MSAR
Advertiser
Rookie

United Kingdom
Jen-MSAR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey, I would say go for the Arai GP5-W --- we have had several instructors chose this one as the helmet is supplied with a peak, and all you need to do to convert to a full face is buy a visor. I race with one and find the visibility much better than others I have tried. If your interested please have a look at my website - www.msar-safety.com and you will find more information and sizes on there... Thanks Jen