Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 May 2004, 12:03 (Ref:969727)   #1
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralf to Toyota (says Coulthard)

So apparently, according to David Coulthard, Ralf Schumacher is moving to Toyota in the next year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/3708127.stm

Is it a good move for both RS and Toyota?
Old 13 May 2004, 12:08 (Ref:969734)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
and the Autosport Williams piece said that the deal only needs approval from Japan.

I guess DC might know a little about it as he has probably talks with Williams and Toyota. This one has more credibility than most rumours. I wonder if we'll here from Toyota (one way or another) soon?
Old 13 May 2004, 12:08 (Ref:969736)   #3
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Ralf to Toyota (says Coulthard)

Quote:
Originally posted by DriverT
Depends how good the 05 Toyota is
Old 13 May 2004, 12:10 (Ref:969737)   #4
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, if it's as bad at this year's, then they might have equal car and driver

I think this rumour is true, as a lot of people have been writing about it for a long time. Now we'll see how good Ralf is.
Old 13 May 2004, 12:20 (Ref:969758)   #5
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This story keeps on going around, with each version carrying an interesting add on.

In the Autosport piece they allude to the possibility that Ralf could be replaced at Williams when (or if I guess) the Toyota anouncement is made, enabling them to evaluate a replacement for 2005....

They also claim Da Matta is 'disillusioned' with F1 (which I have read elsewhere), which if true will mark another US 'experiment' that has come to nothing, and potentially effect Scott Dixon's F1 aspirations.
Old 13 May 2004, 14:06 (Ref:969879)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Re: Ralf to Toyota (says Coulthard)

Quote:
Originally posted by DriverT

I honestly don't think it is, especially from Toyotas point of view.

They want to move up the grid and they need a driver who can carry them through the bad times as well as the good.

Williams are a better team than Toyota and Rafe seems to be happily cruising around whilst his team mate is doing a better job.

If Toyota can produce a car that is quick out of the box in 2005 then Rafe might do ok, but if it's not, then they will struggle imo. The other thing is, Rafe (and Toyota) will be further back down the field, Rafes gonna have to overtake more often.
Old 13 May 2004, 14:16 (Ref:969899)   #7
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
how would coulthard know where ralf is going - david just hopes that webber signs for williams so that he can get out of that crappy mclaren and into the #14 jag
Old 13 May 2004, 14:35 (Ref:969925)   #8
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Ralf to Toyota (says Coulthard)

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
I honestly don't think it is, especially from Toyotas point of view.

They want to move up the grid and they need a driver who can carry them through the bad times as well as the good.

Williams are a better team than Toyota and Rafe seems to be happily cruising around whilst his team mate is doing a better job.

If Toyota can produce a car that is quick out of the box in 2005 then Rafe might do ok, but if it's not, then they will struggle imo. The other thing is, Rafe (and Toyota) will be further back down the field, Rafes gonna have to overtake more often.
I agree Mr V to a certain extent. The problem with ralf is getting his car setup. When the car is perfect he can be blistering quick (Europe and France last year). The problem is that 95% of the time the car is less than ideal and he can't drive a bad car. That fact coupled with the fact that Toyota hasn't produced anything to speak of does not bold well for little ralfy. JPM can drive badly setup cars and i'm willing to bet CDM can too. If they keep CDM on next year and the car is no better, look for CDM to show Toyota they make a costly ($$$) mistake.

As for the overtaking, i'm wondering how many races it's going to take before he starts realizing that he's actually being lapped and not merely overtaken.
That and how many front runners he's going to hit in the process of being "lapped"

Last edited by dcp2685; 13 May 2004 at 14:38.
Old 13 May 2004, 14:42 (Ref:969933)   #9
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I think the real problem for Toyota and Schuey Minor - if this rumour turns out to be true - is that Ralf's motivation can waver drastically at times, which is the very last thing you need in a driver trying to pull a team up the grid. Someone like Schuey Major or Mark Webber is forever upbeat and working hard, never allowing adversity to blunt their speed. Can we say the same of Ralf? I'd say not.
Old 13 May 2004, 17:33 (Ref:970070)   #10
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralf and Toyota are made for each other. One arrogant, not very successful driver and one arrogant, not very successful team.
Old 13 May 2004, 17:35 (Ref:970073)   #11
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great move for Ralf, dumbest move ever for Toyota!
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 13 May 2004, 20:54 (Ref:970264)   #12
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I said a while ago the deal was done.The biggest question which remains unanswered is who will sit in the second seat.From the info I have (that insider again)is Zonta will step up and Brisco will be named as the 3rd driver.

The Grumpy1