Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 22 Apr 2007, 17:04 (Ref:1897812)   #1
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok - I've broken my camera...

My 20D curled up it's toes at Brands today and I need some advice. All of the control buttons have stopped working along with the preview screen, review buttons, menu button etc.

Also the AF on the lens isn't working properly which I assume is the body failing to communicate to it properly. All batteries are fully charged, I've tried all the usual resets but it all seems a bit knackered...

Would any of you chaps have suggestions as to whats wrong with it? I've had it almost a year after getting it second hand. Incidentally, Phil, is it still on your CPS?

Any comments helpful! And a spare body to loan for the A1GP would be nice too!

And no, I categorically did not drop it or knock it in any way!!!

JB
Old 22 Apr 2007, 20:08 (Ref:1897937)   #2
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbryant

And no, I categorically did not drop it or knock it in any way!!!

JB
Well that's a shame as (assuming you've got it insured correctly) - that would be an insured risk
Old 22 Apr 2007, 20:48 (Ref:1897979)   #3
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello John

I have a number of suggestions to try.....

1. Check the contacts where the lens and body meet, they may be tarnished or corroded
2. Try checking it in the basic and creative zone modes
3. Try using different lenses
4. Try using different memory cards
5. Remove the internal memory backup battery for 5-10 minutes, then re-install it. You will probably lose any settings you have on the camera, but it might just work.

I had a similar fault with a 300D a few years ago, turned out to be a faulty microdrive.....bet you didn't see that one coming!!

Good luck sorting it out

Phil
PS - not sure if the 20D is still on my CPS list, think I removed it last year
Old 22 Apr 2007, 21:23 (Ref:1898006)   #4
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Phil. I've tried all the above but it still seems screwed. And I only have the 1 lens to try it with so can't check that! Taking it in to Jessops to see if they have any idea.

One thing though is that the IS in the lens makes a constant noise when it's on and sitting still. Is that usual on a 100-400? But the body is still all screwed up when I take the lens off. Still doesn't work...

If you could check your CPS list that would be useful.

Ta
Old 23 Apr 2007, 17:07 (Ref:1898728)   #5
Davhut
Racer

Davhut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it has the additional motor/hand grip, take it off and try to reboot. If that doesn't work, it's possible the main board is fried and needs replacement.
Old 24 Apr 2007, 19:21 (Ref:1899559)   #6
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davhut
If it has the additional motor/hand grip, take it off and try to reboot. If that doesn't work, it's possible the main board is fried and needs replacement.
I've tried all the usual fixes you get with an Error 99 message and nothing works. So I'm going with the main board...

Will let you all know when it's fixed so people know what it is in the future.
Old 26 Apr 2007, 13:31 (Ref:1900919)   #7
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
...I started getting that in the USA last week at the Champcar race....seems its the small lens i'm using and guessing its a problem with the contacts on the lens (maybe over used?)...it was fine with a different lens on but the same error code with the small lens on.
Old 26 Apr 2007, 13:40 (Ref:1900925)   #8
Davhut
Racer

Davhut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Baz:
I also have had trouble with dirty contacts. Cleaning both the camera and lens metal contacts with pencil eraser, alcohol and canned air.
How was your trip?
DH
Old 26 Apr 2007, 14:28 (Ref:1900963)   #9
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper Baz
...I started getting that in the USA last week at the Champcar race....seems its the small lens i'm using and guessing its a problem with the contacts on the lens (maybe over used?)...it was fine with a different lens on but the same error code with the small lens on.
I only have 1 lens so wasn't much use trying another. However I did clean the contacts with solution but no joy. Plus it repeated the problems when I took the lens off so don't think it is antyhing to do with that.

Picked up for repair to day so shall keep peeps informed.

And I wasn't getting an error code btw. The display on the top of the body was working just fine. Just not reacting when I pushed the ISO button etc.

JB
Old 26 Apr 2007, 14:36 (Ref:1900970)   #10
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
keep us' informed matey!
Old 2 May 2007, 14:25 (Ref:1905012)   #11
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
Well apparently it was fluid damage. Which is interesting as I hadn't taken it out in the rain since October last year and the day it broke it was clear blue sunshine...

Ah well, it's beyond ecnomical repair and covered by insurance (woo!) so I pick up my new 30D tomorrow. And for what it's worth, Direct Line and Jessops were very quick about sorting it out. Well done guys and girls.

JB