Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 17 Oct 2003, 02:15 (Ref:753954)   #1
IanGrohse
Racer

IanGrohse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Norma M20 CM

Its a great looking car, looks really fast.
I have a question about the cooling if anyone knows.

There are the intakes for cooling, and where are the coolers located. The side ducting looks a little thin to be radiator cooling, but possibly that is it.
If anyone knows, that would be great.
And if anyone has any more detail shots besides those from their website, ide love to see them.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 05:06 (Ref:754005)   #2
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!

There's at least this one, not very precise...

Here's another one... and during the race, those last ones by BernardB...

Last edited by Fab; 17 Oct 2003 at 05:20.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 13:47 (Ref:754365)   #3
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hate to say it Fab, but this isn't the car Ian is talking about. The M20 is the smaller, motorcycle-engined prototype that is used in French hillclimbs.

I reckon the LMP2 will look awfully similar to this.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 14:57 (Ref:754418)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Re: Norma M20 CM

Quote:
Originally posted by IanGrohse
Its a great looking car, looks really fast.
I have a question about the cooling if anyone knows.

I was going to say! Nobody could regard the creation which "raced" at Le Mans this year as "looks really fast".....
Old 17 Oct 2003, 16:13 (Ref:754513)   #5
IanGrohse
Racer

IanGrohse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Norma M20 CM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
I was going to say! Nobody could regard the creation which "raced" at Le Mans this year as "looks really fast".....
Hahahaha, no, I have seen the car in person a few times at other races, Petite, and LeMans.........I was amazed at how slow the LMP900 Norma was at Petite.......It was struggling to keep up with the GTS and GT cars on the straight!

But the M20 CM and CN look like whole differnt stories!
Old 17 Oct 2003, 16:26 (Ref:754524)   #6
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I want to know what Ayse was doing taking photos of the Norma
Old 17 Oct 2003, 16:27 (Ref:754525)   #7
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Norma M20 CM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
(yeah, and hasn't got a roof either )

Although it is probably fair to say the M2000 failed miserably at Le Mans, I really like its looks, in the same way one might like a 333SP. - The M20 seems to be a really competitive package in its class, certainly looks aerodynamically somewhat more advanced that its opposition (Radicals, CN cars, Sports2000s, suchlike); but I haven't seen one in real life yet.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 17:23 (Ref:754584)   #8
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
The yellow M20 is an elegant car, but I think if this car is converted to an LMP it will, like the blue/white Norma, also be slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

In spite of beying the "Minardi" of sportscar racing (or is it Debora? ) I like Norma.

Last edited by FIRE; 17 Oct 2003 at 17:24.
Old 18 Oct 2003, 07:09 (Ref:754934)   #9
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf
I hate to say it Fab, but this isn't the car Ian is talking about.
Don't hate to say this, I'm familiar with those Shtupid Mishtakes !

Was a way to say that I loved the blue and white one in June ! How, silly me !
Old 18 Oct 2003, 07:10 (Ref:754935)   #10
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by pirenzo
I did !

Not fast, but I loved it !

BTW, I prefer the blue and white livery, this yellow one is a bit tasteless... nothing rally technical, as you see !

Last edited by Fab; 18 Oct 2003 at 07:12.
Old 18 Oct 2003, 13:13 (Ref:755057)   #11
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by FIRE
The yellow M20 is an elegant car, but I think if this car is converted to an LMP it will, like the blue/white Norma, also be slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
From what Mr. Santos has posted on our own little board, I believe that the M20 won'r be converted into an LMP2 but that they'll stay along the lines of this design when (if?) they build the LMP2. Considering what it will be up against - Pilbeam MP84 and 91, LolaB2K/40, I don't think there will be any newer cars coming along - it doesn't look so out of place at all.
Old 23 Oct 2003, 17:57 (Ref:761033)   #12
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
here's a pic of this Norma (well, bodywork at least) on the top of the Team Norma's truck at this year's Le Mans

don't know if it helps ...
Old 23 Oct 2003, 18:01 (Ref:761037)   #13
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by bernard b
here's a pic of this Norma (well, bodywork at least) on the top of the Team Norma's truck at this year's Le Mans

don't know if it helps ...
Is this a cheap method to do wind tunnel testing?
Old 23 Oct 2003, 18:11 (Ref:761049)   #14
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe they had the Team Sezio guys stand in front of it smoking a cigar as the truck rolled down the highway so they could see how the air flowed around the chassis....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 23 Oct 2003, 18:24 (Ref:761068)   #15
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
Maybe they had the Team Sezio guys stand in front of it smoking a cigar as the truck rolled down the highway so they could see how the air flowed around the chassis....
Or the smoke came from exhaustpipes of the trucks.
Old 23 Oct 2003, 21:05 (Ref:761264)   #16
Dauntless
Racer

United States
San Francisco Bay Area
Dauntless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Norma M20 was homologated in the USA as a C- or D-Sports Racer with Sports Car Club of America (an FIA affiliate). The cars haven't proved competitive against other motorcycle engined sports racers, much less automotive engined sports racers.
Old 23 Oct 2003, 21:32 (Ref:761297)   #17
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Norma LMP900 that Team Sezio ran at Petit last year and at Le Mans this year wasn't competitive with "automotive engined racers" either.....not even in the ballpark....

I think I would shop elsewhere if I were looking for a new chassis to take to the track....

Old 24 Oct 2003, 08:49 (Ref:761658)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by pirenzo

I'm not prepared to answer this for fear of incriminating myself.....

Besides, when there are no Deboras, you have to take pictures of something slow.....
Old 24 Oct 2003, 11:04 (Ref:761765)   #19
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
good move, Ayse. Plead the 5th Amendment...

folks do it all the time here...
Old 6 Nov 2003, 15:25 (Ref:774909)   #20
sportproto
Rookie

sportproto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Norma speed

If anyone here (except one or two) would really want to have a fair analyse of Norma's past, he should discover that :
1 - Norma is a very small factory : 4 to 10 person.
2 - Since 1991, all Norma cars succeed where they were racing : in French & Europe hillclimbing, in French Alfa-Romeo Cups ...
3 - But Because of a lack of money, Norma never get a competitive & reliable engine fitted for the great races : Le Mans 1995 First qualifying practice : 9th best time - Second qualifying practice : 2 engines crashed ! No comment
4 - The LMP900 M2000 isn't competitive because of a) a lack of development (carbon discs were fitted for Le Mans 2003 although the car begans to run in 2000 !!!!) b) a bad engine first choice : the Mader (a real Norma mistake, for sure) then a good change for Ford V8 but unfortunately with bad builders, Kinetic then Hertel. That's the real true. Perhaps they'll have a chance to make it run in 2004 LMES : if they go for it, be sure that they'll have a good engine and developments funds.
5 - The new Norma M20 CN is a very competitive car : it's just starting this year and ever beat the Osella in hillclimbing; last week at Magny-Cours 4000 kms (VdeV), it had the 2nd place on the grid with all Radicals behind ! Norma guys are talented. See you in 2004 !
Old 6 Nov 2003, 15:43 (Ref:774937)   #21
sportproto
Rookie

sportproto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Norma M2000

Agree with cybersdorf ! The M2000 is really beautiful.
Old 6 Nov 2003, 16:27 (Ref:774968)   #22
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Guess they just "looked slow" last June....silly me... must've been the Whitbread Ale....

Old 6 Nov 2003, 16:45 (Ref:774998)   #23
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Re: Norma M2000

Quote:
Originally posted by sportproto
Agree with cybersdorf ! The M2000 is really beautiful.

Glad to welcome a new member, living in my town !

I think the place of this one is more in the "Norma" thread...

Last edited by Fab; 6 Nov 2003 at 16:46.
Old 6 Nov 2003, 19:17 (Ref:775147)   #24
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Re: Norma speed

Sportproto welcome!!!

Quote:
If anyone here (except one or two) would really want to have a fair analyse of Norma's past, he should discover that :
2 - Since 1991, all Norma cars succeed where they were racing : in French & Europe hillclimbing, in French Alfa-Romeo Cups ...
3 - But Because of a lack of money, Norma never get a competitive & reliable engine fitted for the great races : Le Mans 1995 First qualifying practice : 9th best time - Second qualifying practice : 2 engines crashed ! No comment
4 - The LMP900 M2000 isn't competitive because of a) a lack of development (carbon discs were fitted for Le Mans 2003 although the car begans to run in 2000 !!!!) b) a bad engine first choice : the Mader (a real Norma mistake, for sure) then a good change for Ford V8 but unfortunately with bad builders, Kinetic then Hertel. That's the real true. Perhaps they'll have a chance to make it run in 2004 LMES : if they go for it, be sure that they'll have a good engine and developments funds.
5 - The new Norma M20 CN is a very competitive car : it's just starting this year and ever beat the Osella in hillclimbing; last week at Magny-Cours 4000 kms (VdeV), it had the 2nd place on the grid with all Radicals behind ! Norma guys are talented. See you in 2004 !
I understand the reasons why the car isn't as fast as a Dome or Courage. And yes we make jokes about the Norma (and Debora ) but I have a weakness (am I the only one?) for these small teams/constructors who build and race a car with only a small budget.

BTW are you related to Norma?
Old 7 Nov 2003, 06:52 (Ref:775616)   #25
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Re: Norma speed

Quote:
I'm glad to find a new support for Norma on the forum, and as Fire is too, we will be three !

Small teams are the charm of Le Mans : remember the pleasure we have to welcome Morgan and Spyker, even if they've no chance to win.

And I have to admit here my weakness for the Norma, which is a very nice car IMHO, more since I saw it in close-ups in the pit lane last May (PQ)...

And I hope that they'll be able to improve the car to find a more honorable place on the grid... nevertheless, they deserve respect and success, due to their commitement : who knows ? One day, we may be glad to have them on the track, matching with the best cars !

Roll on Norma, WR and... Debora ! - sorry for the "french touch" of this post

Last edited by Fab; 7 Nov 2003 at 07:01.