Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Mar 2005, 04:05 (Ref:1246321)   #1
karimbo
Veteran

Canada
Montreal, Canada
karimbo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Giorgio Pantano in 2005 ?

What are the whereabouts of Giorgio Pantano this year ? Last year as a rookie he was competitive while racing his then teammate Heidfeld.

This year year Heidfeld is racing a Williams an Giorgio is out of the picture.

Any chance he will replace Villeneuve at Sauber before the end of the season ?
Old 8 Mar 2005, 04:29 (Ref:1246326)   #2
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to say, a quick search of Google doesn't reveal promising news. It appears he is managed by Team Brask Management, but their profile page on their website says only for 2005 that it is "TBA". Given we're now in March 2005, things don't look promising for him.

According to grandprix.com, he missed out on a seat with Coloni in GP2 (along side Bruni, IIRC) to Mathias Lauda, son of Niki.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 04:40 (Ref:1246334)   #3
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
I should say, according to grandprix.com, Lauda was only named at the start of March.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 06:29 (Ref:1246352)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by karimbo
What are the whereabouts of Giorgio Pantano this year ?

Any chance he will replace Villeneuve at Sauber before the end of the season ?

No.

I believe if Villeneuve was replaced, Pantano would not be near first choice.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 08:28 (Ref:1246402)   #5
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline
I have to say, a quick search of Google doesn't reveal promising news. It appears he is managed by Team Brask Management, but their profile page on their website says only for 2005 that it is "TBA". Given we're now in March 2005, things don't look promising for him.

According to grandprix.com, he missed out on a seat with Coloni in GP2 (along side Bruni, IIRC) to Mathias Lauda, son of Niki.
Pantano split from Brask Management last year and is now managed by Didier Debae (ex Williams).

He split with Jordan before the seasons end allegedly over the usual financial matters, he was (I believe) funded by his family who intended to sell space on the car to recoup as much as they could - (IIRC they appointed a sponsor agent to achieve this). I don't think much was raised in outside sponsorship and Pantano's father cried enough before it drank all the family resources.

For this reason I don't think we will see GP back in F1 unless it's a free drive (which is unlikely). He has been looking at GP2 and CART from what I read, but I haven't seen that anything is signed anywhere.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 09:22 (Ref:1246423)   #6
Formula1Fanatic
Rookie

England
Warrington
Formula1Fanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pantano was pretty awful last year. He was in a bad car but it was just
Old 8 Mar 2005, 09:32 (Ref:1246431)   #7
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd be more interested to see where Glock was going to
Old 8 Mar 2005, 10:26 (Ref:1246460)   #8
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tourer
Pantano split from Brask Management last year and is now managed by Didier Debae (ex Williams).

He split with Jordan before the seasons end allegedly over the usual financial matters, he was (I believe) funded by his family who intended to sell space on the car to recoup as much as they could - (IIRC they appointed a sponsor agent to achieve this). I don't think much was raised in outside sponsorship and Pantano's father cried enough before it drank all the family resources.

For this reason I don't think we will see GP back in F1 unless it's a free drive (which is unlikely). He has been looking at GP2 and CART from what I read, but I haven't seen that anything is signed anywhere.
Just goes to show you can't always believe what you read on the 'Net, as his profile page is still on the Team Brask Management website.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 12:31 (Ref:1246578)   #9
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brask would be doing pretty well to spin anything positive out of this. They wasted time looking for a 2003 drive by falling for the BC Motorsports scam, their disputes caused him to miss what would've been a likely points finish in Canada last eyar, tehy underminded his position at Jordan which increasingly caused the team to get fed up with him and give him less testing and ultimately the chop, and couldn't get him (a F3000 title contender in a previously midfield team) a GP2 drive ahead of a guy with the right surname. In short, they're pretty useless, and its mainly their fault he's on the rocks.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 12:40 (Ref:1246589)   #10
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought he might end up in ChampCars this year.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 12:44 (Ref:1246593)   #11
DEADDUCK
Rookie

United Kingdom
DEADDUCK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He is with SuperNova at the GP2 test this week.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 12:49 (Ref:1246601)   #12
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by twig
I'd be more interested to see where Glock was going to
Timo tested for Rocketsports in Champ Cars back in February, but doesn't seem to have a drive for them.

I don't understand German, but his official website contains a reference to DTM. Perhaps he is going there?
Old 8 Mar 2005, 14:25 (Ref:1246696)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by karimbo
Last year as a rookie he was competitive while racing his then teammate Heidfeld.
Was he? None of the statistics bear that claim out. There were extenuating circusmtances for Pantano (a difficult car, a lack of testing and the clash between Brask and Jordan) but he still failed to shine, especially compared to Glock.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 15:21 (Ref:1246750)   #14
perfectly_frank
Rookie

perfectly_frank should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On what statistics have you compared Pantano vs. Glock, Boots?
I'm sure it's neither championship points, nor Friday lap times. That wouldn't be indicative. Glock's point was a gift of attrition at Canada.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 16:26 (Ref:1246801)   #15
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Glock finished all his races, Pantano finished half of them (spinning out of several), and I don't think he ever beat Heidfeld home.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 16:30 (Ref:1246805)   #16
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im a reasonable fan of Giorgio and his performance last year, for whatever reason, was dire by any measure.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 17:06 (Ref:1246841)   #17
karimbo
Veteran

Canada
Montreal, Canada
karimbo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Was he? None of the statistics bear that claim out. There were extenuating circusmtances for Pantano (a difficult car, a lack of testing and the clash between Brask and Jordan) but he still failed to shine, especially compared to Glock.

Yes in Montreal especially. Glock finished in front of Heidfeld as well. I wonder why Williams signed Nick instead of Timo... (I am being ironic just a little).

Pantano is the best karter of his generation and won the German F3 championship in his first year. That is something that Timo will never do.
I read today that Giorgio will try a Supernova GP2. If he gets the drive, it's going to be interesting to see what he will do...
Old 8 Mar 2005, 17:11 (Ref:1246848)   #18
perfectly_frank
Rookie

IIRC, Nick attempted to leave the pitbox with the fuel man still attached to the car.
The delay allowed Timo to get by.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 17:19 (Ref:1246858)   #19
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Rumor has it here that Timo will be announced this Friday as the third driver with Rocketsports in OWRS (The Series Formerly Known as CART).
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 17:34 (Ref:1246879)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's great news. Timo should have been in F1 this year, he showed well last year.

Better than Pantano anyways, who seemed to have an affinity with the scenery.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 17:45 (Ref:1246891)   #21
perfectly_frank
Rookie

Quote:
Glock finished all his races, Pantano finished half of them (spinning out of several), and I don't think he ever beat Heidfeld home.
Right, that's a fair measure. I believe that Giorgio is better than his statistics suggest. Some of those DNFs weren't his fault (US GP & Spa).

I'd like to see him get a ride and do well this year but that may take more luck that he seems to have, though.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 18:07 (Ref:1246918)   #22
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Id probably prefer if Glock got another chance.... Giorgio was just average last year...
Old 8 Mar 2005, 18:10 (Ref:1246921)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If that ralfy.....

I was eternally unimpressed with him, I expected so much more from the guy. And then he spun right in front of my eyes at Abbey chicane with the most pathetic driving error you'll ever see.

He's had his chance I'm afraid and he won't get another. Sad indeed.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 18:17 (Ref:1246931)   #24
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectly_frank
Some of those DNFs weren't his fault (US GP & Spa).
Judging by the onboard replays from Spa, Pantano had every opportunity to avoid contact with Bruni's car, but reacted far too slowly. That was also Martin Brundle's view incidentally.

I know Glock took advantage of Nick's problem in Montreal, but would Giorgio have been clsoe enough to take advantage of the time Nick lost? Was he ever within 30 seconds of Nick at the end of the race?

Fair to say, though, that we didn't see his potential last year, for the reasons mentioned elsewhere. The trouble is, plenty of drivers have done a lot better in their first attempt and not been offered a second attempt.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 19:02 (Ref:1246983)   #25
perfectly_frank
Rookie

Okay,okay, clearly Giorgio's performance last year didn't get the F1 team principals to fight over his services for 2005.

Surely his career isn't over, but for the 3rd or 4th year straight he's scrambling for the last seat in GP2 (F3000) or OWRS. What's with that? In the unlikely event of landing the SuperNova seat, he's already missed 3 days of practice that almost all of the other drivers have to their advantage. This last-minute signing and then playing catch-up with the rest of the field can't be a good thing.

Is his current mangement on the case, have his sponsors dropped him, or is there some other impediment?