Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 28 Jan 2003, 16:43 (Ref:488470)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Walker Announcement Thursday

Champweb tells us that "There will be a driver announcement as well as a significant announcement, coming from the Walker Racing shop at 12:00 PM ET on Thursday.

I thought Roberto Gonzales was signed, sealed and delivered. So either he's being replaced, or Walker is set to announce a second car. Perhaps Rodolfo Lavin's deal with Corona has finally come through? And I imagine that the "significant announcement" will pertain to sponsors.
Old 28 Jan 2003, 16:46 (Ref:488475)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Walker didn't attend the Laguna Seca testing, so I guess one of these deals has fallen through. I hope someone like Gidley can get the ride, as Gonzalez and Lavin are unlikely to to well.
Old 28 Jan 2003, 17:18 (Ref:488494)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gidley! Gidley! The Gidley Monster is Loose! Run for your lives!

I wish somebody would give this poor guy a drive just so I wouldn't have to see his name proposed as a substitute for every single driver hired in every single series.
Old 28 Jan 2003, 18:34 (Ref:488573)   #4
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
Peter S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that the announcement may just be the confirmation of lavins deal with corona as walker never confirmed this anyway which is why cart removed his name from the drivers section of the website. I belive the significant annoucnement may have something to do with development of the Reynard chassis. Just a guess. Gonzalez is 100% confirmed and certain for this year as far as i am aware.
Old 28 Jan 2003, 19:20 (Ref:488612)   #5
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gidley deserves a ride. Lets hope Walker has the money to run him.
Old 28 Jan 2003, 20:23 (Ref:488649)   #6
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could be close there Peter S. That Panoz Reynard rumour was going around last week so it may be the announcement that they are now Panoz Reynard's or to that effect.
Old 28 Jan 2003, 20:33 (Ref:488657)   #7
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I agree with you Liz. Memo has become the Mark Webber of CART! Remember when Webber was rumored for every open, almost open, nearly open and non-existent seat in F1?
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 28 Jan 2003, 20:49 (Ref:488663)   #8
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Snout,

I am inclined to think Panoz might be one of the mystery "investors" in Johansson's American Spirit venture.

Expect Memo to race with Dale Coyne, at least at a few races, including St. Pete.

Walker is cheap. He'll happily put out second rate equipment for anybody whose check clears. Looks likeone of his Mexican "prospects" money actually made it to Walker's account. If nothing else they shoudl provide Joel Camathais and Mario Haberfeld some serious competition for the 9th row.
Old 28 Jan 2003, 21:05 (Ref:488676)   #9
Tiresmoke
Racer

Tiresmoke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by sgw2
Snout,

I am inclined to think Panoz might be one of the mystery "investors" in Johansson's American Spirit venture.

Expect Memo to race with Dale Coyne, at least at a few races, including St. Pete.

Walker is cheap. He'll happily put out second rate equipment for anybody whose check clears. Looks likeone of his Mexican "prospects" money actually made it to Walker's account. If nothing else they shoudl provide Joel Camathais and Mario Haberfeld some serious competition for the 9th row.
Panoz is not an ASTJ investor.

I'm hoping this announcement is a sponsor for Gonzalez and Yoong as a teammate.

I think that Lavin will be part of that Shank/Walker outfit. Walker supplying chassis and support but the Corona team will be mostly run through MSR.
Old 28 Jan 2003, 22:13 (Ref:488724)   #10
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see your comin' around Liz. I liked your post so well I thought we might share the best parts one more time.

Originally posted by Liz
Quote:
Gidley! Gidley! The Gidley Monster is Loose!
Old 28 Jan 2003, 22:14 (Ref:488727)   #11
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
Tiresmoke,

Who is the big bucks behind ASJM? I really am curious. They seem to have no money worries and can hire top people and a good shop. No sponosrs. It doesn't add up. Clearly Johansson is the front man, but for who?
Old 28 Jan 2003, 23:17 (Ref:488823)   #12
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
Peter S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roberto Gonzalez has now been removed totally from carts website (the driver section) indicating that there probably will be another driver to Roberto.
Old 28 Jan 2003, 23:22 (Ref:488830)   #13
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tiresmoke
I'm hoping this announcement is a sponsor for Gonzalez and Yoong as a teammate.
I hope not. Neither of those two ****ers should be anywhere near anything with four wheels, not to mention a major racing series. The only "drivers" (and I use that term loosely) that they have beaten are Sven Heidfeld, Milka Duno, and Viktor Maslov. I have seen more talented Barber Dodge backmarkers than that.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiresmoke
I think that Lavin will be part of that Shank/Walker outfit. Walker supplying chassis and support but the Corona team will be mostly run through MSR.
Oh great, he wasn't even the best Mexican driver in Atlantics last year.

Last edited by corkholio; 28 Jan 2003 at 23:25.
Old 28 Jan 2003, 23:24 (Ref:488832)   #14
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter S
Roberto Gonzalez has now been removed totally from carts website (the driver section) indicating that there probably will be another driver to Roberto.
Or maybe CART finally got a hold of his resume.
Old 29 Jan 2003, 04:28 (Ref:489025)   #15
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Well I was surprised Johansson went with Reynard. Either way I expect they will get some assistence from Panoz if they come onboard with Reynard one way or another.
Old 29 Jan 2003, 04:34 (Ref:489027)   #16
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
So I was right about Gonzales.

Forget Gidley, Walker only wants a breifcase driver.
Old 29 Jan 2003, 13:22 (Ref:489385)   #17
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sgw2, I rad on another forum that Johansson's backers are two wealthy guys in the financial industry "that don't need Pookfare." I don't believe they were named.
Old 29 Jan 2003, 16:09 (Ref:489570)   #18
Tiresmoke
Racer

Tiresmoke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ASTJ's backers are extremely wealthy (captial asset management biz). the two guys are racing fanatics and want nothing less than to be involved in racing. i too asked the question "then why the reynards and not some new lola's?". well, it was a question of economics and availability. but they're in it for the long haul.