Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 2 Jun 2008, 00:53 (Ref:2217393)   #1
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John Trimble in the news!!

Is Bar 20 the new name for the Daily Planet or a seperate establishment?

Makes me wonder if the Bottle Magic man was part of the 2AM lockout protests on Friday?

From news dot com dot au A BOUNCER photographed kicking a reveller outside a Melbourne strip club has been sacked, the venue's owner says.

The photograph, taken by the Herald Sun, shows a reveller at Bar 20 trying to protect himself as a bouncer lets fly with a kick early yesterday morning. A second man, lying behind him, is apparently set upon by another bouncer.

A witness told 3AW radio that the bouncer punched and kicked a patron up to 20 times during a confrontation outside the King St bar about 4.30am yesterday.

The witness, naming himself as John, described the attack as "relentless", claiming the bouncer delivered "10, 15, 20 punches, more than one kick while they were down."

The photograph has been described as "disappointing" by one of the state's top cops.

Police Deputy Commissioner Kieran Walsh told 3AW that officers spoke to the two men allegedly assaulted, but neither wanted to make a complaint or statement.

"Those male victims were unwilling to make any formal complaint to the police and even declined any paramedic assistance," said Mr Walsh.

"It is a very disturbing photograph and I'll be speaking with the licencing inspector for the Melbourne district this morning and urging him to take the matter up with the owners of Bar 20."

Bar 20 director John Trimble said club management would be investigating the incident involving its contracted door staff.

"It's totally unacceptable. It's diabolical as far as I'm concerned," Mr Trimble said.

"It's not acceptable from anyone's perspective, from anyone's point of view."

Mr Trimble said the contracted security firm had since sacked the bouncer.

Photo shows the bouncer might be a talent on the soccer pitch!!
Old 2 Jun 2008, 02:13 (Ref:2217417)   #2
speedraced04
Rookie

speedraced04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmdog
Photo shows the bouncer might be a talent on the soccer pitch!!
why is that? did he keep falling over pretending he was tripped?!
Old 2 Jun 2008, 02:16 (Ref:2217419)   #3
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Is Bar 20 the new name for the Daily Planet or a seperate establishment?
Separate. The Daily Planet, I believe, is in Elsternwick (Horne St to be exact)while Bar 20, I believe, is in King Street in Melbourne itself.
Old 2 Jun 2008, 02:41 (Ref:2217432)   #4
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA
Separate. The Daily Planet, I believe, is in Elsternwick (Horne St to be exact)while Bar 20, I believe, is in King Street in Melbourne itself.
That's correct, ummmmmmm, so I've been told
Old 2 Jun 2008, 07:22 (Ref:2217513)   #5
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Life like motorsport turns full circle.

Last time we saw John he received one of the biggest hits in the backside you could imagine and still manage to survive. The wall has changed a bit since John was there

Now we see his boys doing the same. But was it sport? Seemed like his boy was in a totally different category to the fella on the ground.
Old 2 Jun 2008, 07:30 (Ref:2217520)   #6
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
The photograph has been described as "disappointing" by one of the state's top cops.
Shows how much she knows. Considering the distance between the subject and the camera, the amount of light and excitement and danger involved, I thought the photographer did well and deserved the front page. Yes the pic was a bit grainy but it captured the scene well.

Ms Nixon should stick to commenting on speed camera images.
Old 2 Jun 2008, 08:25 (Ref:2217569)   #7
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who T F is John Trimble? or I am missing something? The name rings a bell though.
Old 2 Jun 2008, 09:14 (Ref:2217616)   #8
panel damage
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
panel damage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah think 92 ish to 2002 ish Daily Planet and Bottle Magin Commodores ( and I think an ex djr falcon at one point). Thats your man, fatehr of Development series driver Michael and also the Bloke who gricey jobbed on the gold coast that ended up in Gricey leaving parliment.

John Trimble ( used to be trimbOle) is one of the nicest guys you could meet and a pretty savvy business man with establishments in Melbourne and on the Gold Coast.

Always amuses me that the Elsternwick adress is in HORNE street. well Chosen john.

I remember about 97 there was rumors doing the rounds that John was going to go to Bathurst with Daily Planet , Ansell and other Adult related sponsorship and the number 69 on the car - but it turned out to be just that a rumor.

It was 97 that Tomas Mezera destroyed the Bottle Magic Car at Bathurst - and nealy ended up on another Planet.

What year was Johns Konica series Phillip Island Crash where he backed into the wall and shortened it completly ?. If i recall it was on the same Day Gary Quartly destroye dhis car in similiar fashion only GQ's car caught fire.!
Old 2 Jun 2008, 09:34 (Ref:2217630)   #9
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have seen photos of an XU1 Torrie with Daily planet signage from the early 70s, don't know if he was driving it or not though.

Was at one stage sponsoring a couple of HQs, two VL Walkies and a race boat as well I think.

All sorts of stories about the race transporter being taken up to the top of the mountain during the race week to "Supplement" the race budget??

True, a very nice guy, I didn't know that he was actually related to Michael though. Former Army Commando as well.
Old 2 Jun 2008, 10:42 (Ref:2217690)   #10
glenn_a
Racer

Australia
not far from the paddocks of Oran Park
glenn_a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember the HQ's and his Vl's but he also had a few 12 hour cars and a VP. His Bathurst record is quite impressive considering. A friend (that I haven't seen in some time) drove for him a few times.
John's record
1992 Bathurst 1000- 10th place drove with Gary Cooke and Andrew Harris. He was entered in the 2nd car with Rohan Cooke (gary's son) but the car didn't start the race.

1993 Bathurst 1000- 14th drove with Andrew Harris

1994 Bathirst 1000- 9th Drove with Garry Waldon

1993 Bathurst 12 hour- 7th (4th in class) with Rohan Cooke and David Grose

1994 Sandown 6 hour 10th drove with Steve Harrington.

(Refernce source wikipedia)
Old 2 Jun 2008, 10:45 (Ref:2217693)   #11
BFC
Racer

BFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
9 Horne Street actually....(and no wise cracks Nakkers)
Old 2 Jun 2008, 11:11 (Ref:2217726)   #12
BFC
Racer

BFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
9 Horne Street actually (no wise cracks nakkers) John Trimble is Chairman/CEO of Platinum Planet Inc which owns the property of the Daily Planet but doesnt operate it,just collects rent but does own Bar 20 which it plans to franchise locally and overseas concentrating in China
Old 2 Jun 2008, 22:14 (Ref:2218220)   #13
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by panel damage
What year was Johns Konica series Phillip Island Crash where he backed into the wall and shortened it completly ?
1998 according to today's Herald Sun which has an article desribing JT's history although his motorsport history is only a single paragraph. That crash ended Trimble's motorsport activity.

In 1992 in practice at Bathurst his car caught fire coming out of the Chase and there is footage of him bailing out of the still moving car.
Old 2 Jun 2008, 22:26 (Ref:2218227)   #14
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hrmmm... I don't think the Konica series was around in 1998...
Old 2 Jun 2008, 23:05 (Ref:2218242)   #15
formerly
Rookie

formerly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Video on youtube is labelled as 2000, was this the first year of Konicas??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOLTm4eJoHs

as is the Gary Quartly crash mentioned.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBnxG...eature=related
Old 2 Jun 2008, 23:33 (Ref:2218250)   #16
speedraced04
Rookie

speedraced04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its all ok ... apparently he was "regaining his balance", not kicking the patron according to todays herald sun ...
Old 3 Jun 2008, 01:54 (Ref:2218286)   #17
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedraced04
its all ok ... apparently he was "regaining his balance", not kicking the patron according to todays herald sun ...
I see he has hired M. Mosely's spin doctor...
Old 3 Jun 2008, 09:23 (Ref:2218465)   #18
dmcl
Racer

dmcl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev
Who T F is John Trimble? or I am missing something? The name rings a bell though.

Trev,

surely with some of the roles you have held at Winton, you would have heard of John. I seem to remember a C.O.W. around December 91 where John was running a pair of HQs in Daily Planet livery (cant remember second driver, but pretty sure there was a Paul Bottomley connection, though this was after his big crash at the Thinderdome). John had a couple of "employees" walking around on the weekend, in black lycra cat suits and cowboy hats. Being the last round of the year, some of us pit crew types had had a pretty big Saturday night, and I seem to remember chatting to one of the ladies on the Sunday morning, with her telling me the transported was "fully equipped" and i should come down for a look. I cant seem to remember much else about that day, but must look for the photos i have with the two ladies.

Then of course, there was the time when there were other ladies at the track, wearing "We're rooting for you John" T shirts.

Old 4 Jun 2008, 03:25 (Ref:2219288)   #19
Group'C'
Racer

Australia
Hobart /Tasmania
Group'C' should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcl

John was running a pair of HQs in Daily Planet livery (cant remember second driver, but pretty sure there was a Paul Bottomley connection, though this was after his big crash at the Thinderdome). :
Your correct with the Bottomley connection there dmcl.

Andrew Harris ( former sas chopper pilot, channel 9 stuntman and director or something like that of the Daily Planet) was the other driver, He did the deal for JT to puchase the circuit car from the bottomly camp the week after Paul had been on Pole at Bathurst, The deal was basicly done on the Friday at Calder and after Paul's crash his father did a deal to look after the 2 Daily Planet HQ's - paint the Green car black and rebuild the other car wich was a s#*t box from NSW.

was some fun times back then
Old 4 Jun 2008, 06:24 (Ref:2219338)   #20
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
After careful examination of the photograph on the front page of The Hun it seems like the fella on the ground was at fault.

It was way too early in the night for such defensive actions and he did seem to be doing a lot of blocking.

Looking at the point of impact, at least half way up the body, I'd say it was the bouncers corner.

The drunken git on the ground should have been black flagged.
Old 4 Jun 2008, 07:38 (Ref:2219382)   #21
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Group'C'
Andrew Harris ( former sas chopper pilot, channel 9 stuntman and director or something like that of the Daily Planet) was the other driver
Was talking to Andrew Harris about where he had been hiding as he hadn't been seen racing for quite a while and he told me he had crashed a light plane into some trees at a great rate of knots and spent a fair bit of time in hospital

Certainly wasn't the answer I was expecting at the time.
Old 4 Jun 2008, 11:31 (Ref:2219574)   #22
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Was talking to Andrew Harris about where he had been hiding as he hadn't been seen racing for quite a while and he told me he had crashed a light plane into some trees at a great rate of knots and spent a fair bit of time in hospital

Clearly driving "Daily Planet" racecars isn't the only thing JT & AH have in common......

Crashing seems to be an occupational hazard for these blokes, Commodores and light planes....

Although the current V8 Supercar Driving Standards Officer did a serious number on one of JT's cars at Bathurst a whiles back too.

Was Tomas ever a pilot in the Czechoslovakian Air-force ?????

Old 4 Jun 2008, 12:10 (Ref:2219599)   #23
Group'C'
Racer

Australia
Hobart /Tasmania
Group'C' should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Andrew was involved in a Plane crash on Flinders island in the late 80's and was lucky to have survived that one, got some medal for saving his passenger's life, had a few scars to show off !

Has he had another one ????
Old 4 Jun 2008, 12:44 (Ref:2219637)   #24
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcl
Trev,

surely with some of the roles you have held at Winton, you would have heard of John. I seem to remember a C.O.W. around December 91 where John was running a pair of HQs in Daily Planet livery (cant remember second driver, but pretty sure there was a Paul Bottomley connection, though this was after his big crash at the Thinderdome). John had a couple of "employees" walking around on the weekend, in black lycra cat suits and cowboy hats. Being the last round of the year, some of us pit crew types had had a pretty big Saturday night, and I seem to remember chatting to one of the ladies on the Sunday morning, with her telling me the transported was "fully equipped" and i should come down for a look. I cant seem to remember much else about that day, but must look for the photos i have with the two ladies.

Then of course, there was the time when there were other ladies at the track, wearing "We're rooting for you John" T shirts.

Yea! and post them under the Best Grid Girl in V8SC thread
Old 5 Jun 2008, 10:37 (Ref:2220349)   #25
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Was talking to Andrew Harris about where he had been hiding as he hadn't been seen racing for quite a while and he told me he had crashed a light plane into some trees at a great rate of knots.
Ouch!

So either the tree was in the wrong spot, or the plane was. Fast moving things like boats, cars and planes don't mix well with trees.

Is this the same bloke that was involved in the Bathurst Johnson Car Swap Saga when Dickie used the Falcon as a chainsaw and attacked the greenery at Forest's Elbow?