Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 12 Feb 2008, 19:43 (Ref:2127397)   #1
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Werner's Circuit C

Another circuit of mine.

This time, I post a very fast circuit. After the very ling start/finischstraight, turn 1 is a mediumspeed lefthander. Then is goes full throttle through turn 2, over the next straight, heading for the complex of turns 3, 4 and 5. Seen by many spectators these corners are quite fast, but pretty hard to handle with the low downforce and the very high entryspeed. After the complex, another straight follows on the way to the chicane, witch is very slow. It's extra difficult because it's the only place on the track with high curbstones. After that, a slight curve brings the drivers back in front of the grandstands, ready for another lap.
Attached Thumbnails
circuitC.JPG  
Old 12 Feb 2008, 21:17 (Ref:2127473)   #2
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simple and effective.
Old 12 Feb 2008, 21:27 (Ref:2127482)   #3
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
man thats good. Lol, its almost an oval with a chicane. Very nice mate.
Old 13 Feb 2008, 21:31 (Ref:2128238)   #4
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, it effectively IS an oval with a chicane

bio
Old 14 Feb 2008, 09:16 (Ref:2128543)   #5
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be the first oval with runoff-areas.
Old 14 Feb 2008, 11:55 (Ref:2128628)   #6
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Turns 3, 4 and 5 is what make this track exciting from a handling perspective. I guess spectators will love this track, because it's destined to provide lots of racing action. And it's pretty old style, too, in the simplicity of its shape. In fact, it immediately looks familiar. Then, depending on series, it can be quite heavy on the neck muscles, being run anticlockwise and having left turns almost exclusively. That will show in asymmetrical tyre wear, too, like for example the DTM races at the former Hockenheim Querspange (short circuit) have shown.
How long might the track be? And where on this world might it be located?
My OtherWorld(ly) Series might be interested to race there, if it's not too far off, like, say, Siberia ;-)
Old 14 Feb 2008, 12:44 (Ref:2128666)   #7
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner
It would be the first oval with runoff-areas.

What I always hated the most about Indy and stuff... The walls around the outer perimeter. I know they add spectacular crashes still I hate them.

bio
Old 14 Feb 2008, 18:25 (Ref:2128934)   #8
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
haha, well they've gotta have walls, they're proper ovals with high banking, there isnt any ovals without, plus, at speeds of up to 240mph, the cars would fly into the air off of the banking.
Old 15 Feb 2008, 07:55 (Ref:2129379)   #9
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
As they used to do at the AVUS in Berlin!
Old 16 Feb 2008, 01:13 (Ref:2129994)   #10
bio
Veteran

Hungary
I didn't say the walls are not necessary - still i hate them

bio
Old 17 Feb 2008, 12:35 (Ref:2130831)   #11
Yannick
Veteran

@bio: I like the idea of an oval with real runoff, but where would that place the spectators? I once had an impossible solution in mind for this, building a 1/4 mile oval with the same angle of banking all over the track, but on the outside of the track, marked by just a line, the tarmac would continue for a while, slowly increasing in angle, and until it reaches the level of the spectator stands, whereupon the surface continues, but is then made up of some see-through material like heavy bulletproof glass, which continues to rise up to 90 degrees in front of the whole of the stands, and then, at 90 degrees, you have some catch fencing atop of that, or the roof, if you like to put it indoors.
An advantage of that would be, that every row of spectators on the stands could have the glass in front of them optically grinded in a way that they can see the on-track action well, regardless of where they are placed on the stands.
Still, it is not known what happens when a car has a suspension failure and slides off track into the high-rise banking, thereby slowly decreasing in speed just by friction, and then drifting back on track from high up there, but out of control. The other drivers must be very alert in such a situation. And that concept doesn't prevent a heavy impact on the pit wall either. Preventing drivers from choosing a line further up in the banking than allowed would be prevented by photo sensors and penalties. But my guess is that all of this would be too costly. Still, if it can save lives, it would be worth trying it out with a strong see-through material. Bulletproof glass is probably just not enough.
Old 17 Feb 2008, 14:09 (Ref:2130888)   #12
LibertyBell
Rookie

Canada
Soviet Canuckistan
LibertyBell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like a hockey rink with banking.

If everybody disagrees about every issue in the world, shouldn't that mean that everybody's wrong?
Old 17 Feb 2008, 16:45 (Ref:2130951)   #13
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Yannick,
to hell with spectators

bio
Old 23 Feb 2008, 10:43 (Ref:2135676)   #14
Yannick
Veteran

@ bio: LOL
Well, that was just a weird idea that I had some years ago. Who knows, it might be feasible after all?

@ werner: Sorry for stealing the thread.
Old 23 Feb 2008, 18:53 (Ref:2135996)   #15
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio
Yannick,
to hell with spectators

bio

Now your sounding like the FIA or SRO.
Old 23 Feb 2008, 20:10 (Ref:2136057)   #16
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Sh*t, I'm caught...

bio
Old 23 Feb 2008, 20:25 (Ref:2136063)   #17
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is what I like about the ALMS races ( for the Fans ) and my little semi-pro NASA. Fans can go all over the place, even in the paddocks, Not pits though. They walk around talk to the crew and drivers between heats or practice, qual and the race.

Fans have parties on hill sides, back cars and campers up to the fenses to watch the races. Lots and Lots of ppl all around the circuits and the grand stands are almost empty.

My first NASCAR race I went to, before the race started, I was saying, What? concreat seats? that is going to be hard as heck on my butt sitting for 3 horus.

Sitting? Never happened. 3 horus on your feet yelling ans screeming, passing beers and food to other ppl from the roving venders watching and screeming at the race. The smell of Leaded Race Gas, Exhaust, bunt rubber, and brakes, Spilled Beer, grilled chicken and hambugers on a Hot sunday afternoon on a 1/2 mile high banked track with 100,000 other fans Oh life was good.

Who needs seating. Just make great hill sides were ppl can sit or back cars and campers ( caravans I think some ppl call them) up so ppl can party and watch.
Old 24 Feb 2008, 22:01 (Ref:2136877)   #18
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Now your sounding like the FIA or SRO.
Since this thread is, uhh, taking a wider perspective anyway, you are right about that. The FIA has organized a FIA-GT-race, in 2006, at Paul Ricard. While this track is a perfect test-track, with wide runoff-zones, and hight-teck facilities, this track, due to facilities and homologation, is allowed to let in ......

NO SINGLE (geen enkele, keine, pas du tout) SPECTATOR!

Offcourse this only lasted 1 year, because all the teams complained about the dead, spooky, lousy and generally bad atmosphere, witch their sponsors probably didn't like at all.

having said that, the new circuit FIA- GT is going to use next year in Argentina looks like it will be amazing next year! And I mean Spa-like amazing.
Old 24 Feb 2008, 22:03 (Ref:2136881)   #19
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
BTW Bio, where would you like to watch races at this track?
Old 24 Feb 2008, 23:17 (Ref:2136958)   #20
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
For me;

Top of the Building off turn 5. Right side of the building looking down at your design

Can see the cars screeming from turn 2 into 3, slam on the brakes and take Turn 3,4, 5 and shoot off down to turn 6
Old 25 Feb 2008, 10:02 (Ref:2137343)   #21
bio
Veteran

Hungary
werner,

on tv

bio
Old 11 Apr 2008, 10:09 (Ref:2175113)   #22
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rockanje

Due to the positive response to this circuit I thought I'd seek a place to built it. I've found a nice spot in the Southwest of the Netherlands. If you want to find the location, it's about 3km north of Hellevoetsluis and about 3km eastsoutheast of Rockanje. The nearest mayor city is Rotterdam, witch is about 40km away.
The straight is almost 2km long, and the whole circuit about 5.5km, making it a very fast track. There are 6 houses inside the circuit, al of them can stay. Only 1 road is cut of, for the other 3 there are bridges or replacements. Of course quite some land is taken by the track, especially for the paddock and parkinglot's, but a lot of those need only to be developed if there are more mayor races in a year. A lot of agricultural land inside the circuit can stay in production.
The region is very beautifull; there are large dunes and sea nearby, and Hellevoetsluis is a beautifull old city. Therefore, lot's of accomodations are available. I't only best to not hold mayor races in the summer.
Transport is a bit hard when big crowds are to be expected. The highway to Rotterdam is about 7 km away, connected with a main road, but that road is crowded at weekends already. The closest public transport, apart from local busses, is a subwaystation in a Suburb of Rotterdam, about 20km away. There is a good buslane from there to Hellevoetsluis, making only the last 3km a bit slow. It would make they journey to the center of Rotterdam about 1 hour.
Attached Thumbnails
rockanje.JPG  
Old 11 Apr 2008, 11:59 (Ref:2175185)   #23
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Lustigson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Werner, that would make for an excellent location, thinking of where other circuits in the Netherlands and Belgium are:
- Assen in the North-East,
- Zandvoort just North-West of the Randstad region
- Zolder is South of Eindhoven, just North of Hasselt (Belgium)
- Spa is way down South in Belgium, South-East of Liège/Luik
Old 11 Apr 2008, 12:54 (Ref:2175235)   #24
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Spa is rather in the northern half of Belgium, north-east, north of Luxembourg.

Still, your point stands.

bio
Old 11 Apr 2008, 12:58 (Ref:2175239)   #25
bio
Veteran

Hungary
werner,
this one looks a lot like your previous one - and I mean it as a compliment. I like these blot shape ones, so simple yet so effective. I often catch myself thinking that SBF and I sometimes come up with "too" difficult layouts (not bad, just complicated) and dream of doing simple yet great ones - a bit like this one.

bio