Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 Jan 2009, 00:43 (Ref:2366002)   #1
davester
Racer

davester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What was FORD thinking ???

What's the real story around SBR getting Ford money ahead of 888?

SBR in 2009 -
Van Gisbergen 15th in 2008
Davison no where ever in V8 Supercars
SBR 5th in 2008 teams championship

888 in 2009 -
Whincup 1st in 2008
Lowndes 4th in 2008
888 1st in 2008 teams championship.

Ford have put their money into a team with no winning pedigree for the drivers in this category.
Did Ray Price make a massive mistake which led to his removal from his position?
Did Roland play hard-ball and gamble on big money from a 3rd manufacturer?

Seeing SBR's 2009 line-up makes this decision by Ford look "very misplaced". Ford have put scarce factory dollards into two inexperienced drivers, when they have a turn-key champion team with champion drivers going without.
Old 6 Jan 2009, 00:49 (Ref:2366005)   #2
Jacob Black
Rookie

Jacob Black should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ive heard that it's all about the colour. DJR and TV = Red, SBR and FPR = blue (ish)
Old 6 Jan 2009, 00:56 (Ref:2366008)   #3
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DJR are predominantly white, with a bit of black, and a smidgen of red (doesn't the Ford backed car 6 have more red on it than 17 & 18?), so i'm not sure that has much to do with it.

And if Mr Dane was gambling on a 3rd manufacturer (read TRD) then i think he has gone all in with a 2 of hearts and a 3 of clubs, considering TRD are pulling out of Aust...
Old 6 Jan 2009, 01:03 (Ref:2366012)   #4
Jacob Black
Rookie

Jacob Black should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've heard it as one rumour, It would make sense from a branding perspective, but like you said, there are holes in that idea. It does seem like a bizarre decision.
Old 6 Jan 2009, 02:06 (Ref:2366026)   #5
Tony C
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
Tony C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you forget about the results from 2008 and look at the big picture then the decision was a good one. What has 888 done for Ford? nothing aprt from take money. What has SBR and FPR done for Ford? lots. Lots of good results ..... away from the track. They work with Ford not against them, hey know about team work. And that produces results at a corporate and buyer level. Ford is not in racing to provide charity, they want results, results for their brand, which FPR and SBR have provided.
Old 6 Jan 2009, 02:12 (Ref:2366028)   #6
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was thinking it was something to do with their multiple championships. History doesn't lie!
Old 6 Jan 2009, 03:01 (Ref:2366037)   #7
EBXR8
Veteran

Australia
Australia
EBXR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony C
If you forget about the results from 2008 and look at the big picture then the decision was a good one. What has 888 done for Ford? nothing aprt from take money. What has SBR and FPR done for Ford? lots. Lots of good results ..... away from the track. They work with Ford not against them, hey know about team work. And that produces results at a corporate and buyer level. Ford is not in racing to provide charity, they want results, results for their brand, which FPR and SBR have provided.

888 spent a lot of coin and man hours assisting in the devolpment of the FG for FORD and were left out to dry. And well DJR has stuck by ford through Thick and thin, both were left hung out to dry IMO. 1 Disgusted Ford Fan Here.
Old 6 Jan 2009, 03:10 (Ref:2366041)   #8
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Time to get some reality lads. Ford scaled back their support because they are going broke and cant support teams like they used to. Sadly the world does not begin and end with v8 supercar

Backing FPR is a given and I thought the SBR decision was also linked to the engine development / supply that SBR does for many Ford teams in the series.
Old 6 Jan 2009, 03:25 (Ref:2366046)   #9
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY
I was thinking it was something to do with their multiple championships. History doesn't lie!
Then why didn't DJR keep the money, they have a longer winning pedigree for Ford than any other team.
Old 6 Jan 2009, 03:58 (Ref:2366055)   #10
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford hasn't left T8 and DJR high and dry, they still have the Parts program and chassis deal. Just no extra cash like FPR and SBR are going to get.

Either way, most stupid decision they have made in a long time.
Old 6 Jan 2009, 04:59 (Ref:2366068)   #11
dazza027
Racer

dazza027 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont know why you guys call it a chassis deal. V8 supercar hasnt used a complete body shell to build a race chassis for almost a decade. The cages I am lead to believe are built in a jig with the body constructed around it unlike the conventional 'old' way where the basis was the bodyshell with the cage constructed inside.
As for Ford money running dry, I am sure they have their reasons for only selecting SBR and FPR for direct funding, however as we all are fully aware, this kind of economic climate doesnt last forever and I am quite sure that the teams that had their money cut will at some point have it reinstated when the world market returns to a more normal ie properous state. I believe they call these economic realities and for a company to stop spending on programs that are less important than others during hard times is in my opinion sound. Some of you guys whingeing about who got what and who didnt should probably wake up and smell the coffee and be thankful that some teams did get money in the first place, because at the rate that you guys arent buying Falcons and Commodores, the two companies are quite within their rights to tell V8 SC's to get stuffed.

Last edited by dazza027; 6 Jan 2009 at 05:03.
Old 6 Jan 2009, 09:41 (Ref:2366190)   #12
FalconXRated
Racer

FalconXRated should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm getting really sick of this question, its really very obvious:

FPR - will always get Ford $
888 - Large Vodaphone $
DJR - Large Jim Beam $
SBR - A couple of tool companies + ford money.

The result? 4 financially viable and competitive teams.
Roland and Dick don't need the money like SBR do, when have SBR had the same sponsor on both cars for example?
You don't see Dick crying that he is short of cash without Fords money, Time to pull you head in Roland, we all know they pay you extra to keep the cars free of other sponsors.
Old 6 Jan 2009, 10:29 (Ref:2366227)   #13
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
S***, I think most of you should take a trip to Broadmeadows , armed with your Resume and tell the Ford People to get lost, we know better and take over.

There maybe other reasons we mere mortals are not aware of that decides when the pork gets cut and divided. If you honestly believe Ford have withdrawn support then, I think Scientology is looking for some new members. Hangon, they want acept anyone who has to have meds.

freed up advertising space, Ford Contracted drivers, etc etc .

same same at the BEND.

marketing has won a great deal this year,and into the next year.

How much will a Jamie W Ford Vodafone shirt be worth mid year with all the NEW merchandise.

Vodafone Racing Jamie W shirt.
Old 6 Jan 2009, 22:44 (Ref:2366674)   #14
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guys, let's throw a scenario into this thread to make it a little easier to understand this -

Holden decides only to back 2 teams in it's V8SC budget, only providing basic parts for the rest of the teams.

* HRT are financially backed by Holden and are sponsored by the Special Vehicles arm - thats a given

* HSVDT is now Uncle Tom's ego stroker for 2 additional cars. Yes, it's got "HSV" on the side, but I am sure that Mr Walkinshaw can operate it without massive Holden $$$

* GRM has been in the sport in some form for many years, and has driven Holden's since the 70's. They produced and ran the Monaro's in NC and have stuck around through the best and worst of times for the General - time to repay the faith?

* Team Kelly have been somewhat faithful to the Red side, and are being supplied by a man who has been linked to building Holden's since the early 80's (bar the run in the Mustang in 1985).

* Team BOC is a team with huge fanfare and a good driver combo, dedicated to Holdens.

* PMM has some investment in Holden, with the performance driving centre being set up by them for Holden. They also have supply to some teams.

* Tasman has an opportunity to become the Officical "NZ Holden" team. Good marketing opportunity?

Who is going to provide Value for Money? Who produces more parts for more cars? Who has been loyal?

This is probably the very same process Ford had to make. And, they probably made what they thought was a sound decision at the time.

I dont know about you guys and gals, but I'm rarely wrong in hindsight - Maybe they might regret a choice, but it's done now. And things can change....
Old 7 Jan 2009, 04:05 (Ref:2366777)   #15
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco
S***, I think most of you should take a trip to Broadmeadows , armed with your Resume and tell the Ford People to get lost, we know better and take over.

There maybe other reasons we mere mortals are not aware of that decides when the pork gets cut and divided. If you honestly believe Ford have withdrawn support then, I think Scientology is looking for some new members. Hangon, they want acept anyone who has to have meds.
oowwww, aren't we a bit titchy -
Old 7 Jan 2009, 04:09 (Ref:2366781)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And the winner of the most cars sold in 2008 is.....

(Drum Roll Please!!)

TOYOTA!!

Oh What a Feeling!
Old 7 Jan 2009, 04:21 (Ref:2366787)   #17
nic.v814
Racer

New Zealand
Perth
nic.v814 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haha good point
Old 7 Jan 2009, 04:37 (Ref:2366792)   #18
nic.v814
Racer

New Zealand
Perth
nic.v814 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What else does ford and holden get out of it apart from a sticker on the window and public appearences
Old 7 Jan 2009, 04:39 (Ref:2366793)   #19
davester
Racer

davester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco
The clear question in the OP was why has it happened this way (SBR gets the cash).

888 vs SBR is an absolute "no brainer" in 888's favour.
SBR's 2009 driver line-up is amateur hour compared to 888.
SBR's last 3 yrs have been WAY BEHIND 888.
On performance and recent history, there is NO LOGICAL REASON why SBR got the cash.

For scarce factory cash to go to SBR instead of 888 suggests something broke down in the relationship between Roland and Ray, or Roland called for more than Ford could deliver.

There is no value that SBR can give to Ford, compared to the consistent victories 888 deliver, and without 888, the last 3 years would have been a complete HRT/HSVDT wipeout for Ford.

SO the question remains...what really happened between Ford and 888?
Old 8 Jan 2009, 06:22 (Ref:2367426)   #20
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
davestar, just remind me again, where did those motors in the triple 8 cars come from?

If triple 8 were not there ford would have won the same amount of championships (frosty in 08)

possibly ford wanted to support the team that is firsty Australian and secondly at the time its most recent championship winner
Old 8 Jan 2009, 09:37 (Ref:2367491)   #21
STEVO
Veteran

STEVO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
possibly ford wanted to support the team that is firsty Australian and secondly at the time its most recent championship winner
Prodrive is an Australian company all of a sudden?
Old 8 Jan 2009, 09:47 (Ref:2367498)   #22
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think stevo everyone agrees that Ford had to support FPR, they are the main factory team with support from ford performance vehicle which is half owned by ford and half by prodrive. they are also based in broadmeadows accross the road from the main ford factory

FPR were a given, its the 2nd team everyone is debating

edit plus there is also the fact that FPR already had a ford contract for next year while the other teams didnt

Last edited by peckstar; 8 Jan 2009 at 09:50.
Old 8 Jan 2009, 10:02 (Ref:2367510)   #23
Phase3
Veteran

Australia
Always Amazing, Ever Changing Gold Coast
Phase3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Going on the knives Roland and Jamie have been putting into Fords back since the decision was announced I reckon Ford have made the right decision.

888 are definately an English team judging purely by the winging!
Old 8 Jan 2009, 13:53 (Ref:2367630)   #24
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Was that meant to be 'winning' or 'wingeing'? And if the latter, have you read the contents of this forum... I reckon wingeing is yet another british national sport that you now do better than us!
Old 8 Jan 2009, 14:51 (Ref:2367662)   #25
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
davestar, just remind me again, where did those motors in the triple 8 cars come from?

If triple 8 were not there ford would have won the same amount of championships (frosty in 08)

Now Pecky you usually provide a reasonable argument but to say Ford would have won if T8 had not been ther is a long bow to draw. Those motors in the T8 cars came from SBR, now I don't see them featuring anywhere close to winning the championship. Would Frosty have won if Whinners didn't have the best car, ifs buts and maybes.
Not one of your better arguments.

At the risk of a few more nasty points, you pulled a ****ter this time.