Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 8 Mar 2009, 09:00 (Ref:2411424)   #1
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Storing Tyres

I've just bought a couple of new tyres, they will be at least 2-3 years old but unused and still with the labels on, and I probably wont be using them for a while as the set I already have don't seem to wear that quickly.
What's the best way to store them to avoid them hardening or cracking? My options are in a shed, in my loft or outside.
Old 8 Mar 2009, 11:45 (Ref:2411536)   #2
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cool, dry and dark are the best places. Ideally (but only for nitpickers) not stacked.

So it depends how dark and dry your shed is, and whether it has space for 4 tyres not stacked (unless you aren't a nitpicker). In which case use the loft.
Old 8 Mar 2009, 20:29 (Ref:2411604)   #3
jerryk
Racer

United Kingdom
jerryk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
quite right you dont want to put anything in a shed with all that tanning in the wood, dreadfull. The only thing worse is a wooden shed with a concrete base.
Old 8 Mar 2009, 20:58 (Ref:2411632)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
So leaving them in the stables on a concrete floor with water buckets in them is not a good idea then.
Old 8 Mar 2009, 22:23 (Ref:2411682)   #5
jerryk
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob View Post
So leaving them in the stables on a concrete floor with water buckets in them is not a good idea then.
no thats spot on it stops the buckets falling over. you could always plant them up with taters until you need them , get a nice crop of early's.
Old 8 Mar 2009, 22:33 (Ref:2411685)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I found in the house and covered was quite good. Mrs A wasn't too happy, but I managed to keep it up for a few months as we were moving house.

Always kept tyres stacked, for practical reasons. What is the issue with stacking them?

Generally I keep them in a dehumidified garage.

What are people's thoughts on pressure to leave them on. I've just left them at normal tyre pressures. Does that make any difference? Only comedy theory I can come up with is a desire to keep a good seal.
Old 8 Mar 2009, 23:37 (Ref:2411719)   #7
Mr.Jingles
Racer

United Kingdom
Reading, Berkshire
Mr.Jingles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was always told if they were track (not road) tyres to cling-film the treads to prevent oil loss from the tires AND protect the soft rubber from picking up any crap?
Old 9 Mar 2009, 08:08 (Ref:2411908)   #8
jerryk
Racer

United Kingdom
both i am sure very sound methods but you won't get a good crop of early taties that way

man goes to the docs with a strawberry growing out of his head
doc gives him some cream to put on it
Old 9 Mar 2009, 10:10 (Ref:2411986)   #9
ubrben
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
ubrben has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Put them in a black bag and store in a cool dry place away from any sorces of ozone - i.e. electrical equipment.

The moisture thing is key. Even if you use dry air or nitrogen you may have moisture within the tyre itself, and this can cause excessive pressure rise no matter how dry the gas is.

Ben
Old 9 Mar 2009, 20:44 (Ref:2412479)   #10
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob View Post
Tim, that's a splendid idea, however, when your 16hh Friesian mare decides it's a good idea to stand on it..... doesn't do the sidewalls a lot of good.

Realistically - a stable temperature, not too cold, not to hot, somewhere around 60F, not too humid, and not too dry, and dark.

I have some lovely sun-dried Dunlop Wets. Done about 20 laps of Silverstone National, now totally sh*gged with the sidewalls split due to them not wearing Factor15, or raybans.

Rob.
Old 9 Mar 2009, 21:56 (Ref:2412556)   #11
kjw
Racer

United Kingdom
East Kent
kjw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interested to know how Dunlop store their stocks of race tyres. How long do they keep them before they are sold and in what conditions they are kept. They must have some sizes that don't sell and just sit on the shelf for a while. Do they destroy the old stock or sell it of at a discount price? Never seem to see discounted race tyres.
Old 16 Mar 2009, 06:34 (Ref:2416419)   #12
Jeff 8
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Jeff 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I store tyres off the rims in the black bags they come in (well the Dunlops and Yokohamas do, Avons don't) and wrap the surface in cling wrap. I also do this with my wets on the rims between race meetings.

What's the issue with concrete floors?

Jeff

Old 16 Mar 2009, 15:17 (Ref:2416726)   #13
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff 8 View Post
What's the issue with concrete floors?

Jeff

That was a wind up as I have just laid a concete base for my new shed/workshop but on a serious note a few years ago I put some tyres in a cellar and when I checked them a year or so later something from the floor, possibly lime, had eaten a neat round hole in the tyre that was on the floor.
Old 17 Mar 2009, 08:40 (Ref:2417195)   #14
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I keep mine in the loft. It's dark, dry and at a fairly consistent temperature.
Old 5 Apr 2009, 03:07 (Ref:2433690)   #15
Jeff 8
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
I was wondering is it better to store tyres on their sides or upright? I have quite a lot of tyres at the moment, as I have bought up for the season, also some different sizes, brands and compounds for some tyre testing and they are taking up a lot of floor space. There are more coming too as I still need wets and am tossing up between Avons or Yokies or get both and test them at wet practice days or clubbies.

Jeff

Old 13 Apr 2009, 15:07 (Ref:2439828)   #16
EdLeake
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
EdLeake should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wrap just the contact patch in clingfilm and not the whole tyre as you could catch moisture and 'sweat' them.

Pitch black and cool, stacking is fine so long as it's just 1 tyre on top of the other, don't stack higher than 3 because even this little weight can crack and deform the lower/supporting tyre.

Keep them out of sunlight is key.

In the right circumstances tyres will last for years and years in storage.
Old 13 Apr 2009, 16:53 (Ref:2439873)   #17
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brian Davies from Avon told me that the idea of clingfilming the tyres is bulls**t, and it's just make the tyres go off many times quicker. And he didn't agree with scraping the tyres with a hot air gun either.
Old 13 Apr 2009, 19:45 (Ref:2439964)   #18
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unless you've coated the tyre in "Grip" or similar..... whoops, shouldn't cast nasturtiums about people using compound softeners should I ......
Old 14 Apr 2009, 08:10 (Ref:2440248)   #19
Jeff 8
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancliffe View Post
Brian Davies from Avon told me that the idea of clingfilming the tyres is bulls**t, and it's just make the tyres go off many times quicker. And he didn't agree with scraping the tyres with a hot air gun either.
I was told the same about the clingfilm by a tyre guy at the track on the weekend, well not the going off quicker but that it is a waste. Funny as the tyre place that grooved the tyre wrapped it.

As for the heat gun I used to do this but was told each time is another heat cycle, so shorter life.

Jeff