Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Jan 2010, 23:31 (Ref:2617232)   #1
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Hamilton way?

We've seen this before in the football scene and since Lewis we saw it in motor racing too. The younger, the better it seems. Is this the new way to "bring" a talent?

Press release:

McLaren has signed 14-year-old kart racer Nyck de Vries for the team's young driver development programme.

The Dutch driver will be managed by Anthony Hamilton, Lewis's father, and the Hamilton Management Group throughout his racing career in different categories.

"McLaren has a long-held commitment to assisting young talent - we believe it's part of the responsibility of the motor racing community to encourage and nurture junior racers, and we are committed to doing just that," said team boss Martin Whitmarsh.

"Nyck appears to be a very exciting prospect, and we are looking forward to assisting his junior career, providing him with the support and training he requires to succeed."

De Vries added: "My visit to the McLaren Technology Centre has been a fantastic experience and I am very honoured and grateful for the support of McLaren in helping to develop my career.

"The resources they have are incredible, and I believe they'll be able to provide me with the perfect framework for improving my skills, my fitness and my motorsport experience."
Old 21 Jan 2010, 23:43 (Ref:2617239)   #2
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is of course great for the young lad, as he wont have to worry about funding his racing career any more and McLaren will help him develop his skills to fulfil his potential just like they did with Lewis.

But it's important not to see this as a 'free ride' that might lead to talented drivers missing out just because they're not on the program. Anyone who followed Hamilton's career will tell you that to get his F1 drive, he still had to deliver at every level. At the end of the day the top teams want the best, and I think professionals nurturing stand out talents is important.
Old 22 Jan 2010, 00:20 (Ref:2617254)   #3
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
The Robertsons are also back in the business of signing new, young talent. Link.

Glad to see the guy is doing British F3 this season. It's a good boost for the Series.
Old 22 Jan 2010, 10:24 (Ref:2617381)   #4
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There is big difference between signing with the Robertsons and signing with McLaren. In the Robertsons case, AFAIK, they have excellent contacts and can make fantastic introductions but you still have to pay them and find most of your own money (if not all).

The McLaren deal, if it follows the Hamilton pattern is fully funded and that makes a fantastic difference to the driver pshchologically, he can concentrate on the job of driving
Old 22 Jan 2010, 11:50 (Ref:2617423)   #5
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
There is big difference between signing with the Robertsons and signing with McLaren. In the Robertsons case, AFAIK, they have excellent contacts and can make fantastic introductions but you still have to pay them and find most of your own money (if not all).

The McLaren deal, if it follows the Hamilton pattern is fully funded and that makes a fantastic difference to the driver pshchologically, he can concentrate on the job of driving
I think you've hit on an important point there. Cirtainly as they start to tackle the more expensive feeder seris, I guess they have less worries about getting seat and track time. I heard tell not long ago that a one race drive in Porche Cup can run you into 5 figure costs. So god knows how much testing a single seater would be.
Old 22 Jan 2010, 12:12 (Ref:2617436)   #6
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quite correct b1ackcr0w, the financial requirements are staggering, once you get through the starter series the next step is daunting, Palmer's F2 is the cheapest at £275,000 for the season + VAT but if you go to Euro F3, Renault World Series or GP2 or 3 you are talking 7 figures and few prizes for winning. The Autosport Young Driver award is fantastic so far as it goes but at £75k leaves any driver a little short and if you look at the winners list many don't make much more progress unless they give up on the F1 dream.

The situation is much better in the States and Skip Barber for one offers much better value and good prizes to move on
Old 22 Jan 2010, 12:26 (Ref:2617447)   #7
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

You are right to an extent, but the Robertsons are so well connected that they can pull in the sponsorship for the driver. They were looking after Jenson Button in the early days and his F3 car had sponsorship from Marlboro and Fina, which was pretty impressive for someone who was only in his second year in cars.

And I certainly don't think that Anthony Hamilton will be managing anyone for love, except maybe his own son.
Old 22 Jan 2010, 15:38 (Ref:2617585)   #8
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post

And I certainly don't think that Anthony Hamilton will be managing anyone for love, except maybe his own son.
It seems to me to be quite a nice thing to want to do, really. Maybe there is a financial motive but if he's done it all once with Lewis and made money at the end of it (which I'm sure he now has) then perhaps he did just think to himself, I'm now in a position to help someone else achieve much the same... Good news story, this one.
Old 22 Jan 2010, 20:13 (Ref:2617723)   #9
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
getting Lewis media whore father to mange the youngster doesn't seem such a good job,

he didn't do the best job with Lewis as a person, arrogant, liar, decetful

Yes he got him to F1 no question, but in my view he didn't bring a good young man to F1 and Hamilton snr craves media spotlight more than his son.

I'm surprised Mclaren allowed this, but then the know more and better than I
Old 22 Jan 2010, 21:41 (Ref:2617749)   #10
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefy View Post
It seems to me to be quite a nice thing to want to do, really. Maybe there is a financial motive but if he's done it all once with Lewis and made money at the end of it (which I'm sure he now has) then perhaps he did just think to himself, I'm now in a position to help someone else achieve much the same... Good news story, this one.
I must be getting cynical then, except that I know I'm not.
Old 24 Jan 2010, 17:38 (Ref:2618665)   #11
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Forget not just how easy it is to be cynical. :P

Put yourself in his position and it seems quite logical that he'd want to help someone else, maybe even make a career out of it. I'm not saying he's a saint - but it makes sense.
Old 24 Jan 2010, 20:29 (Ref:2618765)   #12
old man
Veteran

England
UK
My bet is the Hamilton Snr is on the McL payrole and that our young Dutch friend is there FOC, I could be wrong of course but as I read it that was the Lewis deal.

As for the Robertsons pulling sponsorship, well yes I agree it is quite possible and indeed they can open lots of doors but I know drivers who moved to them with lots of ideas but when money became tight moved on.
Old 25 Jan 2010, 09:59 (Ref:2618988)   #13
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcym View Post
getting Lewis media whore father to mange the youngster doesn't seem such a good job,

he didn't do the best job with Lewis as a person, arrogant, liar, decetful

Yes he got him to F1 no question, but in my view he didn't bring a good young man to F1 and Hamilton snr craves media spotlight more than his son.

I'm surprised Mclaren allowed this, but then the know more and better than I
Hmm. Overlay harsh I would think.

If you regard AH as just a manager, he did the best job. He got his charge in to F1 at the highest level.

If you regard AH as just a father, his son is racing at the top level in F1, has more money than Croesus, obviously dotes on his family (I think particularly of his brother). He's also not in prison, always a good sign. So, not a bad job there either. He may have a few character defects, but nothing disturbing. AH himself worked very very hard in the past to get his son where he is now, and gave up a lot. A lot of fathers never go to those levels for their children. He is now reaping the rewards, and I personally think he deserves it, because I for one would be unable to go to the lengths he has gone to for his children - I don't have the guts and determination.

Since, as you state, Mclaren know better than you, perhaps not slagging off people you know only from TV broadcasts is the better option?
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 25 Jan 2010, 12:43 (Ref:2619077)   #14
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
F.O.F. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What an opportunity to be given! really a dream deal for any young driver. you can say what you like about Anthony Hamilton but he's a devoted,success oriented father and he raised a superstar. Get up off your bum and do the same maybe, instead of flaming someone you don't know over the internet.
Old 25 Jan 2010, 14:36 (Ref:2619148)   #15
darcym
Veteran

I'm entitled to my opinion and it's based on the perception portrayed in the media/TV I grant you,

I %100 accept he's done a great job to get his son/client to F1 and done amazing deals with McLaren - no doubt, I put this in my post.

I don't however like Lewis's attitude (you can't question his ability) the whiter than white....but lies stuff lost the little respect I had as an individual, and my perception of AH is a big hunter of media attention, maybe that's to help his son's profile I don't know. Instead of flaming me for putting my view on a public forum either agree with it or disagree with it.

I don't like the perception they put out to the public, so I question if this is a good thing to mould another young person (not driving wise) in the same way.

As I said McLaren know better than I, but it's my opinion.
Old 25 Jan 2010, 16:02 (Ref:2619196)   #16
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I'm entitled to my opinion and it's based on the perception portrayed in the media/TV I grant you,

I %100 accept he's done a great job to get his son/client to F1 and done amazing deals with McLaren - no doubt, I put this in my post.

I don't however like Lewis's attitude (you can't question his ability) the whiter than white....but lies stuff lost the little respect I had as an individual, and my perception of AH is a big hunter of media attention, maybe that's to help his son's profile I don't know. Instead of flaming me for putting my view on a public forum either agree with it or disagree with it.

I don't like the perception they put out to the public, so I question if this is a good thing to mould another young person (not driving wise) in the same way.

As I said McLaren know better than I, but it's my opinion.
In my opinion AH is obnoxious and arrogant, it is a sad fact that (provided you can curb them with those you need favours from) these seem to be advantages in todays business world which includes F1. Of course he is also clever and determined but I'd have more time for him if I felt he was clever determined and a gentleman.

Yes my opinion is based largely on his TV appearances and I completely accept that if I knew him personally I might (or might not) take a different view but (like the original poster) I am still entitled to have an opinion based on what I do know of him.
Old 25 Jan 2010, 16:40 (Ref:2619214)   #17
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
Yes, we are all entitled to our opinions but this isn't a thread about the Hamiltons' personalities. The last one like that didn't last very long.

Anyway, does anyone here know how good this kid might be? How is he getting on in karts?
Old 25 Jan 2010, 16:44 (Ref:2619216)   #18
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
My bet is the Hamilton Snr is on the McL payrole and that our young Dutch friend is there FOC, I could be wrong of course but as I read it that was the Lewis deal.

As for the Robertsons pulling sponsorship, well yes I agree it is quite possible and indeed they can open lots of doors but I know drivers who moved to them with lots of ideas but when money became tight moved on.
They have only ever had three drivers on their books. Button in the early days, Kimi and now Nasr. Two WDCs out of the last three isn't a bad record.
Old 25 Jan 2010, 17:13 (Ref:2619242)   #19
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
being his manager blurs the line of whats appropriate and does make Lewis seem like a baby who needs to have his dad there to take care of things...wiping his nose etc the lying episode i always felt was a childish action committed by an immature kid stemming from this bubble created by his dad being there.

but on the whole i think its admirable to see a parent watch their kid play (work) sports and be supportive. many peoples parents act like idiots when their kids are out there, yelling, screaming, berating everyone within earshot.

and from what i have seen, AH has never done anything that would suggest he is not there 100% for his son, but im not on the inside. everyone at Mcl. seems to get on with him just fine though.
Old 25 Jan 2010, 20:58 (Ref:2619367)   #20
darcym
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.O.F. View Post
Yes, we are all entitled to our opinions but this isn't a thread about the Hamiltons' personalities. The last one like that didn't last very long.

Anyway, does anyone here know how good this kid might be? How is he getting on in karts?

I'm questioning about how / if letting Hamilton snr is the right way to bring and mentor a young lad in F1 due to the traits I've listed.
Old 25 Jan 2010, 21:51 (Ref:2619398)   #21
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the Mclaren Driver program brings talented drivers as good as Hamilton (There is no doubting he has talent) to F1, whats wrong with that?

Is Hamilton Snr going to turn into a Flavour Flav type manager??? I guess with Flav out of F1,everyones looking for another panto villain to hate.
Old 26 Jan 2010, 09:36 (Ref:2619582)   #22
old man
Veteran

England
UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
They have only ever had three drivers on their books. Button in the early days, Kimi and now Nasr. Two WDCs out of the last three isn't a bad record.
That is not what I have heard but let's leave it there
Old 26 Jan 2010, 12:32 (Ref:2619637)   #23
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I'm questioning about how / if letting Hamilton snr is the right way to bring and mentor a young lad in F1 due to the traits I've listed.
Lewis Hamilton is not everybody's cup of tea but let's be realistic. No part of his character is so dysfunctional that you'd question the validity of his father/manager being allowed to look after another driver.
Old 26 Jan 2010, 14:54 (Ref:2619692)   #24
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
Quote:

It worked OK the first time... Besides, the kid is hardly going to have his personality defined by his manager's. And following on from what Super Hans has said, Lewis is a pretty normal guy. I'd happily sit and have a drink with him before I would with Micheal or Kimi.

If I was in Anthony Hamilton's shoes right now I can imagine that I would be doing exactly this, seeing that it worked out so well the first time. If I was in young de Vries' shoes right now I would be thrilled at the chance of being attached to this successful team, and being managed by a man that brought his son from humble beginnings to being a world champion.
Old 26 Jan 2010, 14:56 (Ref:2619695)   #25
darcym
Veteran

sorry, I wasn't trying to say he shouldn't be allowed to Manage, I was questioning if he was the right person to guide a young sponge of a lad in terms of ethics and sports man when my perception of Lewis is not high in either, but as pointed out in an earlier post sportsman ship may not be a high factor in the list, or it may even be required to not have that sort of moral code to succeed, with that said, I'm also not against having ruthless do what it takes drivers, as long as they are honest about it, I'm just not a fan of a clean PR "I like fair play" type persona that tells %100 lies to the stewards (just as an example).

I'm sure a part of this is down to the media portrayal, as someone said the media love to make a panto villan.