Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 May 2009, 14:10 (Ref:2469508)   #1
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which team/teams will leave? Why?

There are rumors of Toyota leaving F1 though Howett has said that is all rubbish. Max stated at Monaco that at least one of the manufacturers would not return.
Personally, I have always thought Renault was on its last leg but its been hanging in there for the last few years. Honda blamed the economy (I am a skeptic) now some teams are saying they will leave because of the rules. Who do we think will leave F1 and why?
Old 26 May 2009, 14:18 (Ref:2469514)   #2
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, the rumoured 3 are Toyota, Renault and BMW

Toyota have been spending too much for too little for years and have stated a desire to get back into sportscars where they were doing well before F1. They were also involved in the WRC, and maybe now with more affordable rules they'll go back there too. Fact is they seem to have botched a potentially race-winning car for the 2nd time and they may not get another chance before the natural order rights itself, and Panasonic aren't overly happy either

Renault's boss Carlos Ghosn is a notorious cost-cutter and pulled Nissan out of motorsport back in 1999 even though they were doing very well (especially in touring cars). Now that Renault have hit a bad patch in F1 and have lost their title sponsorship, rumour is they'll flog the team to Briatore and the board like Honda did

Thiessen has been making unconvincing noises about BMW, both regarding the cap and their future in general. He has also said they're considering their future in touring cars as well. So the disaster of this year in F1 could lead to them going as well. I think Brundle mentioned that it was rumoured that they were going during qualifying

Mercedes are a long shot but Daimler suffered massive losses in Q1, but I'd have thought they'd be doing too well in F1 right now to pull the plug
Old 26 May 2009, 19:05 (Ref:2469693)   #3
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its got to be between Toyota and Renault.
The boys at the bbc seem to know more that they are letting on and that comment about supply 4 cars on the grid has got to be either the williams / toyota tie up or renault / red bull deal.
Gut reaction says Renault with Alonso in big trouble if both Massa and Kimi keep up there current form.
Old 26 May 2009, 20:26 (Ref:2469758)   #4
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I can see Toyota going - they have to start getting some good results (and by "good results", I really mean wins) or there's no justification to continue the investment.

I wouldn't be too surprised if BMW are starting to rethink their F1 involvement as well. They didn't push for the title last year because they wanted to concentrate on this year's car, and they're slower than Force India.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 26 May 2009, 20:53 (Ref:2469781)   #5
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Well, the rumoured 3 are Toyota, Renault and BMW

Toyota have been spending too much for too little for years and have stated a desire to get back into sportscars where they were doing well before F1. They were also involved in the WRC, and maybe now with more affordable rules they'll go back there too. Fact is they seem to have botched a potentially race-winning car for the 2nd time and they may not get another chance before the natural order rights itself, and Panasonic aren't overly happy either

Renault's boss Carlos Ghosn is a notorious cost-cutter and pulled Nissan out of motorsport back in 1999 even though they were doing very well (especially in touring cars). Now that Renault have hit a bad patch in F1 and have lost their title sponsorship, rumour is they'll flog the team to Briatore and the board like Honda did

Thiessen has been making unconvincing noises about BMW, both regarding the cap and their future in general. He has also said they're considering their future in touring cars as well. So the disaster of this year in F1 could lead to them going as well. I think Brundle mentioned that it was rumoured that they were going during qualifying

Mercedes are a long shot but Daimler suffered massive losses in Q1, but I'd have thought they'd be doing too well in F1 right now to pull the plug
Very good summary. I think all three will leave with Renault handing over the team to Flavio, if he wants it.
Old 27 May 2009, 00:31 (Ref:2469916)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Very good summary. I think all three will leave with Renault handing over the team to Flavio, if he wants it.
FBGP-maybe with Mercedes or Cosworth power.
Old 27 May 2009, 00:53 (Ref:2469923)   #7
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Toyota will leave first I feel..Too much money spent without the results.
Old 27 May 2009, 06:17 (Ref:2469969)   #8
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://italiaracing.net/notizia.asp?id=23412&cat=1

italiaracing.net (sorry only in italian this time) talks about Briatore taking over renault F1 outfit.

Interestingly, an increasing number of Mosley's opponents could find his proposals more and more interesting...