Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 25 Jul 2001, 16:50 (Ref:121619)   #1
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mario Andretti Interview Today

Mario Andretti will be interviewed on the Jim Rome radio show during the noon hour (US Central time) for those in America and Canada. Jim Rome is probably the only radio sports commentator that suppports CART and will bring on drivers for interviews. Sorry for the short notice.

He can be emailed at rome@haveatake.com for any questions.
Old 25 Jul 2001, 17:21 (Ref:121632)   #2
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks KC! I read this right at noon! A great interview..and I'm now curious about his wine
Old 25 Jul 2001, 19:57 (Ref:121709)   #3
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Me too.

I don't know how available it is but I would like to try some.

I liek what he had to say about the split and a possible reconciliation and who needs to put forth a little more effort in it.

For those who missed it, Mario basically said that Tony George is the major stumbling block to any reconciliation and that CART has made overtures to align themsleves with TG and have been rebuffed. He said that both series would continue to suffer without some sort of accord.
Old 25 Jul 2001, 20:48 (Ref:121728)   #4
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by KC
For those who missed it, Mario basically said that Tony George is the major stumbling block to any reconciliation and that CART has made overtures to align themsleves with TG and have been rebuffed. ...
Why am I not surprised. I still hold him responsible for this whole mess.
Old 26 Jul 2001, 02:46 (Ref:121903)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Everyone knows that The Man That Ruined Indy is the stumbling block in this whole exercise, but as long as Mario and Penske and Ganassi et al. keep on bowing to him, he'll keep on believing he is going to grow up to be Bernie Ecclestone.

I like Mario and I will always count him my favourite racer.

But he needs to stop trying to save the marriage and realise the divorce is final and we all need to get on with our lives.
Old 26 Jul 2001, 04:27 (Ref:121916)   #6
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
yeah, I was amazed when I met him at Molson Indy. He was so patient. While I was fumbling with 10 things in my hands, he talked to me about how Toronto was their favorite race as the fans were 'such nice people'. He then signed my program and proceeded to chase after ladies in the team motorcoach area...lol He really is a kid at heart.
Old 27 Jul 2001, 03:00 (Ref:122359)   #7
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard some time ago that Mario was an aspiring vintner, (wine maker) and it sounded like he was going about it in a quality fashion.

Jay, thanks for sharing your experience w/ Mario. I am encouraged when someone I admire turns out to be a nice person. So many are not.
Old 27 Jul 2001, 08:20 (Ref:122467)   #8
floid2000
Racer

floid2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mario is the BEST.
Old 27 Jul 2001, 20:00 (Ref:122720)   #9
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Can't really argue that Mario isn't the best.
407 CART starts in 31 seasons (1964-94)
52 victories, 66 poles.
First on all-time list for laps led, with 7587.
4 championships, plus 1 World Championship.
Held speed record at 234.275 mph, set at Michigan in 1993.
Won Indy, Daytona. Everything but LeMans.

And, true, he's a hell of a guy. Every time I've visited the Belle Isle paddock, Mario can be seen signing autographs for all. And posing for pictures. I've met him twice, and although the first time he seemed rushed and bothered, the second time he was more than happy to oblige me with an autograph.

But then, to be honest, I've yet to meet a driver who wasn't courteous and polite. It seems that they're all happy to sign for their fans. Hard to tell if it's because they actually want to, or if they are under pressure from the sponsors to do so.

Who was the nicest driver I've ever had the pleasure of meeting?
Alex Zanardi. With Rick Mears a close second.
Old 28 Jul 2001, 02:42 (Ref:122841)   #10
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They've all been nice to me, although I think the chattiest and most friendly had to be Memo Gidley. I've met most of the Champ Car boys now and all the ones I've met have been great.

But I like Mario best. He is the man of the century after all!
Old 29 Jul 2001, 08:48 (Ref:123214)   #11
floid2000
Racer

floid2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ive only met one rude driver in years of being a "pit rat" at Cart events. Juan Montoya
Rick mears IS one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. Also ..His brother Roger is really friendly and was a multiple BAJA winner.
Old 29 Jul 2001, 14:55 (Ref:123330)   #12
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
hehe..yup JPM was one of the few bad apples in the Cart bunch last year. Also, Michael Andretti didn't appear to willing to sign autographs (or deal with people in general)...so unlike his father.
Old 29 Jul 2001, 15:31 (Ref:123365)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
montoya's alright. so long as you're nice to him, and you happen to be a gurl....